Trusted Contributor

I used to use Retin A. However, insurance does not cover it. I need a really good OTC brand. I have used the PTR in the blue bottle and couldn't tell it did anything. TIA

Honored Contributor

Good quality retinol of 1% concentration is equivalent to about .02% Retin-A.  When choosing a good retinol product, it's best to look for ones that come in opaque (light-blocking) containers and ones that are airless. Both light and air destroy retinol rapidly. Dropper bottles and bottles that are tinted do not provide protection against these elements and the retinol contained in them is most likely not active. When it comes to purchasing a good retinol, the container it comes in is the most important part about it and because of that container you can expect to pay more for the retinol inside it.

An example of what a good retinol product looks like is Paula's Choice 1%....it's an opaque and airless container. 

Honored Contributor

In addition to what I just mentioned, look for a product which states on the container the percent concentration. Stay away from ones which do not tell you the strength.

Esteemed Contributor

I will list 3 Retinol creams I've used -- but everyone's skin is different and what works for some may not work for others.  Plus, you can't expect instant gratification from any Retinol product.  The benefits are seen over a long period of time.

My dermatologist told me that ROC Retinol products sold at drugstores are the best you can buy at any price.  Comes in a tube -- or they have a day cream in a jar, and moistened wipes in a jar.

Alpha Hydrox Retinol cream.  (Used to be called ResQ)

Amara Beauty Retinol 2.5% cream.  Comes in a thick white plastic pump bottle.  Very moisturizing. 

Good luck!

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Valued Contributor

@ElvisShops 

Good morning . I recently started using retinol after many tries over the years . I have sensitve acne prone skin and I could just never handled the irritation even though I followed the instructions . I recently overhauled my skin care  and makeup after following Dr Dray on Youtube . I have been extremely happy with Indeed Labs Retinol Reface skin resurfacer. Indeed is a Canadian brand that ships to USA and Canada . Very reasonable at 19.99 . I like the air tight pump . I also have their hylauronic product which is very good too . Products are cruelty free and  sulfate, mineral oil and pararben as well as fragrance free . Good luck ! 

Honored Contributor

Re: Need a good retinol

[ Edited ]

If you find Rx Retin-A to be too expensive then another option to get it at a lower cost would be to purchase it from an overseas pharmacy. For example, I buy multiple packs of my tretinoin from AllDayChemist for less than $6 per tube. No Rx is needed there either. Shipping is a flat-rate $15 per order so buying in multiples is more economical. Otherwise, free shipping if you order over a certain amount and that's usually close to $100, sometimes more and sometimes less depends on their special days.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee , I know i have asked this before, but here goes it again,i have ordered from them, no problem with doing that ,but here is what i am concerned about , the quality,of products, with the fda problems with   having enough people to inspect these factories, been in the news, i am still concerned,does this bother any one else?

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

@SilleeMee , I know i have asked this before, but here goes it again,i have ordered from them, no problem with doing that ,but here is what i am concerned about , the quality,of products, with the fda problems with   having enough people to inspect these factories, been in the news, i am still concerned,does this bother any one else?

@goldensrbest 

I've heard about the problem, too. But what there's very little we can do about it. All we can do is either stop using what's out there or continue to use it and hope for the best.

Honored Contributor

@ElvisShops  Check out the Mad Hippie Vitamin A Serum. 

Like you, I used RetinA for awhile, but it isn't covered so I stopped.  I'm reluctant to purchase from places outside the USA, especially now after hearing the story about a woman who is now in a semi-comatose state after using a moisturizer by Ponds that came from Mexico and had high levels of mercury.  I like the Mad Hippie Vitamin A Serum very much, have been using it for a long time.  It's very gentle.  Be advised, though, that nothing happens overnight or even a couple of weeks.  Use up the bottle and then decide.  Also, don't buy it from the MH website - too pricey there.  Order from Vitacost, iHerb, Amazon, etc., wherever you find the best price.  

Honored Contributor

The Ordinary Granactive Retinoid 5% in Squalane. It's strong, very inexpensive, and doesn't irritate. You wait 20 min and then use your usual night moisturizer over it.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr