Contributor

I am in my 60's with combination/dry skin and am looking for a good foundation that won't settle in fine lines.  I will think i have a good one and then I tend to not like it.  I've been using mostly powders because they're so fast and easy to apply but wondering if I should be using a liquid foundation. I have some redness so need something to cover that up but have always liked something with that "natural" look.  Any help will be appreciated.

Respected Contributor

Re: Need a good foundation

[ Edited ]

As I age I am finding it is not so much the foundation but the PRIMER I use.

A good primer (unfortunately I have yet to find a good primer that is inexpensive) can save a lot of skin flaws and your make-up wears so much longer.

One other tip- a blender brush.  I apply my foundation with my fingers then blend/smooth it with an Artis brush the effect is like air brushing.

Honored Contributor

@Ladybuggirl I can understand why you are having issues with the powder.  One thing that has really helped me with a natural finish and fine lines is adding a tiny amount of moisture cream to the foundation.  I do this even though I have moisturized my face.  It makes a major difference with every foundation I have used.  You might want to try 100% Pure BB cream or IT (which is good if you have any redness -  covers and yet natural finish).  Everyone is different, so you might want to do a free store demo of these products before purchasing.

Esteemed Contributor

I am in the same age range and have sensitive skin, issues & allergies and a few lines. Here are my two favorites:

Bobbi Brown foundation stick--(you can apply with your fingers, sponge or brush) It goods on light and just makes your skin look better not like you have on foundation.

Dr.Denese Day Crea--multi task product (moisturizer/spf/light foundation( One shade works for all. Feels like you have nothing on your skin. It evens out your skintone. Again, it looks like your skin but better. 

I love both products and it actually just depends on how much time I have in the am or what I'm doing that day. (If it's outside chores then I use Dr.Denese for the added Spf) .Both are quick tand easy to apply. Last all day.

Hope one of these work for you. 

Respected Contributor

@LadybuggirlIs there something that you don't like about your powder foundation?

IF you exfoliate & moisturize, I feel like a powder foundation would be great for you.

I have combo/oily skin & liquid foundations work much better for me. I don't get the oil control that I need with a powder foundation, but they look so pretty on.

I have also never found a primer that does anything for me. They just feel like an extra unnecessary step.

When I use my liquid foundation I get my best application with my fingers. I can get the coverage that i need (In the center of my face) & easily get a lighter application on the other areas of my face. And,press the foundation around my nose. My fingers keep the foundation from getting heavy or cakey looking in any area. 

Tarte Tinted Treatment BB Primer SPF30 & Philosophy Renewed Hope In A Jar Skin Tint-which is sold with a brush that makes me a liar about the finger application. It applies the Skin Tint really nicely.

Both of these are light foundation, but even out my skintone & make me look a little more polished.

Respected Contributor

Doll 10

Contributor

Thank you all for your comments and will look into all your suggestions.  I also have large pores and the powder seems to make it look worse and have read that it's not the best for dry skin.  I'm not into all the beuty items but do take care of my skin.  I think I've always had trouble finding the right foundation that is best for my skin and overall look.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

If you like powder foundations but find they are drying then try finding one that does not contain talc. Many powder foundations contain talc and that can dry the skin, make you look older. Also, apply a primer...it will help keep most any type of foundation from settling, changing color and help keep your look fresh for most of the day. Another thing you can apply on top of a powder foundation is a hydrating setting spray. This will help that 'dry-look' turn to a more dewy finish and also set your powder. Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Ladybuggirl    I love Bobbi Brown's stick foundation.  I just use the stick itself to swipe it onto my face.  Then I blend it with my fingers.  It's so easy and looks great.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

A good everyday foundation is IT Cosmetics Confidence in a Compact.  It provides a light, but buildable coverage & is perfect for covering read splotches.  It’s my daily go-to foundation & is great for those “no make-up” days, when you just want to have that even skin tone look.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.