Valued Contributor

Re: Need a good deep conditioner

My hair was dry not damaged. I use Bumble & Bumble hairdressers leave in conditioner in a tube. Love this stuff.

Trusted Contributor

@Swedishmiss wrote:

My hair is looking and feeling extremely dry.  It is also very fine so I have to be careful not to use anything too heavy.  

I tried Wen (didn’t like) and have used plain coconut oil.  Would love to hear any suggestions.

Thanks Ladies!

(I recently started using Minoxidil, and I think that is further drying out my hair - it is looking like straw )   Smiley Sad

Get today's TSV.Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mellyg wrote:

I second the  V05 hot oil! 

I also second the Shea Moisture (I use the Jamaican Castor Oil Mask).

My all time favorite mask is Kevin Murphy Hydrate Me. I have curly hair, so anything to thick weighs my curls down, this one doesn't; I believe it works for a variety of hair types.

My hair went through some challenging times this year. Some additional things that helped my dryness is: I switched to a silk pillowcase and sleep with my hair wrapped in silk. It helps retain moisture and protects from excess "friction" that can lead to breakage.  If it's excessively dry, can you reduce the number of days you wash it? That was a difficult thing for me, but my hair is thankful for it!  

For reference, I don't have fine hair, but it is curly. Therefore, I don't like anything that's prone to weighing it down (it makes my curls pathetic). 

@Mellyg ...I also use silk pillowcases...Can you share what type of silk hair wrap you use at night?...I have shoulder length hair and have been on the search for a good quality sleep wrap/cap.

Thanks so much!

~~Formerly known as "WildFlowers"~~
Honored Contributor

@Swedishmiss wrote:

My hair is looking and feeling extremely dry.  It is also very fine so I have to be careful not to use anything too heavy.  

I tried Wen (didn’t like) and have used plain coconut oil.  Would love to hear any suggestions.

Thanks Ladies!

(I recently started using Minoxidil, and I think that is further drying out my hair - it is looking like straw )   Smiley Sad

My hair is fine too but it thick and can get flat from the weight. 

I have a dry spot from getting highlights and after trying so many different conditioners & masks I found what worked the best for me was coconut oil.  I put a small amount on my dry patch at night before going to bed and leave it in.  I would shampoo it when taking a shower in the morning.

It has worked wonders for me and made my hair silky again.

Valued Contributor

@MyShadowLove wrote:

@Mellyg wrote:

I second the  V05 hot oil! 

I also second the Shea Moisture (I use the Jamaican Castor Oil Mask).

My all time favorite mask is Kevin Murphy Hydrate Me. I have curly hair, so anything to thick weighs my curls down, this one doesn't; I believe it works for a variety of hair types.

My hair went through some challenging times this year. Some additional things that helped my dryness is: I switched to a silk pillowcase and sleep with my hair wrapped in silk. It helps retain moisture and protects from excess "friction" that can lead to breakage.  If it's excessively dry, can you reduce the number of days you wash it? That was a difficult thing for me, but my hair is thankful for it!  

For reference, I don't have fine hair, but it is curly. Therefore, I don't like anything that's prone to weighing it down (it makes my curls pathetic). 

@Mellyg ...I also use silk pillowcases...Can you share what type of silk hair wrap you use at night?...I have shoulder length hair and have been on the search for a good quality sleep wrap/cap.

Thanks so much!

@MyShadowLove , I could write an essay on all of the remedies I've tied with my hair! I have a slip brand and a Silke cap. I purchased the Slip brand (primarily because I had a gift card), but I also have a Slip pillowcase and I've been very pleased with how it's lasted. The cap is very well constructed, the fabric is thick and it's stitching seems durable. BUT.... it doesn't always stay on and it almost feels like too much fabric. It could be that it has a knot on the front and that could make it seem more "bulky". It is a lovely product, but I do prefer the Silke brand. The Silke seems to always stay on, I've had no issues with it, but it isn't as thick of a fabric, and I can see the elastic starting to stretch out (but it's very minor and doesn't cause any issue with it staying on). It's actually comfortable enough and I've worn around the house (it drives me crazy to get hair in my face and I was damaging it by pulling it back constantly).  I've had the Silke since the beginning of the year and the Slip since April/May. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks so much!

@Mellyg  wrote:

@MyShadowLove , I could write an essay on all of the remedies I've tied with my hair! I have a slip brand and a Silke cap. I purchased the Slip brand (primarily because I had a gift card), but I also have a Slip pillowcase and I've been very pleased with how it's lasted. The cap is very well constructed, the fabric is thick and it's stitching seems durable. BUT.... it doesn't always stay on and it almost feels like too much fabric. It could be that it has a knot on the front and that could make it seem more "bulky". It is a lovely product, but I do prefer the Silke brand. The Silke seems to always stay on, I've had no issues with it, but it isn't as thick of a fabric, and I can see the elastic starting to stretch out (but it's very minor and doesn't cause any issue with it staying on). It's actually comfortable enough and I've worn around the house (it drives me crazy to get hair in my face and I was damaging it by pulling it back constantly).  I've had the Silke since the beginning of the year and the Slip since

April/May. 

@Mellyg ...As soon as I saw your reply, I checked out Silke online and they look lovely...not sure I care for the knot in front as I don't want to wake up with an indentation...lol...but the reviews are good, so I'm going to order a couple and give them a try...such pretty colors to choose from.

Thanks again...very much appreciated! Woman Happy

~~Formerly known as "WildFlowers"~~
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MyShadowLove I hope you enjoy it as much as I do! The knot is rather flush against the skin, so it doesn't leave an indentation (at least I haven't xoerienced it). I hope you post your thoughts on it!!