Valued Contributor

Need a good deep conditioner

My hair is looking and feeling extremely dry.  It is also very fine so I have to be careful not to use anything too heavy.  

I tried Wen (didn’t like) and have used plain coconut oil.  Would love to hear any suggestions.

Thanks Ladies!

(I recently started using Minoxidil, and I think that is further drying out my hair - it is looking like straw )   Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

Re: Need a good deep conditioner

My fave is coconut oil, I leave it overnight, wash out the next day.

Since you've tried that, my other fave is VO-5 hot oil treatment, sold everywhere in tubes, that you warm up in the shower, apply, add a splash of water (it will foam up), leave on while you continue your shower, etc. then rinse.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Swedishmiss wrote:

My hair is looking and feeling extremely dry.  It is also very fine so I have to be careful not to use anything too heavy.  

I tried Wen (didn’t like) and have used plain coconut oil.  Would love to hear any suggestions.

Thanks Ladies!

(I recently started using Minoxidil, and I think that is further drying out my hair - it is looking like straw )   Smiley Sad

I use Matrix Biolage Hydrasource Conditioning BALM. I have extremely dry hair and it works well. Does not weigh the hair down. Be careful because there's one called CONDITONER that has a different formulation and I don't feel it's nearly as good. I also use Hydrasource Shampoo. Once again, be careful because they have one called Ultra Hydrasource that is not as good. 

Honored Contributor

have been Joico conditioner, Deep Moisture, but they have different ones 

Esteemed Contributor

When I want a good lighter conditioner, I use Biolage.  It won't weigh your hair down.  For that deep conditioning, I would recommend Triple Moisture by Neutrogena.  This WILL weigh your hair down if you use it all the time.  If you use if at night or when you are going to be home, your hair will be flatter, but you can get the benefit of the deep conditioner.  Eventually, you can use it less often.  This helped my hair.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Carol's Daughter Monoi Hair Mask. Please read the reviews for it on HSN. That stuff saved my hair after it got damaged from over-highlighting and heat styling. 

• "Helps strengthen and restore fine, delicate or chemically-treated hair"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Swedishmiss  I bet you get as many suggestions as there are possible products. lol. Everyones hair is different.

For many years, I've used Shea Moisture Deep Conditioners in the tubs. Since I deep condition twice a week, this is budget friendly and it does a great job of keeping my hair hydrated.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I second the  V05 hot oil! 

I also second the Shea Moisture (I use the Jamaican Castor Oil Mask).

My all time favorite mask is Kevin Murphy Hydrate Me. I have curly hair, so anything to thick weighs my curls down, this one doesn't; I believe it works for a variety of hair types.

My hair went through some challenging times this year. Some additional things that helped my dryness is: I switched to a silk pillowcase and sleep with my hair wrapped in silk. It helps retain moisture and protects from excess "friction" that can lead to breakage.  If it's excessively dry, can you reduce the number of days you wash it? That was a difficult thing for me, but my hair is thankful for it!  

For reference, I don't have fine hair, but it is curly. Therefore, I don't like anything that's prone to weighing it down (it makes my curls pathetic). 

Respected Contributor

@Swedishmiss Loreal makes a good one called Total Repair 5 with an almond and protein ceramide.  It can be purchased at Wal Mart or any drug store and it is reasonably priced.  My hair is porous, has never been colored but I suffer from Hashimotos(thyroid) and it is wonderful for me!

Honored Contributor

Tweak’d Restore Treatment