Honored Contributor

Need a fragrance-free body lotion or cream with SPF

I know I should use an SPF for all over skin health --- and every day.  I don't sun bathe or spend a lot of time outdoors, but I know you can still get a lot of damage just from casual every day exposure.  I am very, very sensitive and fair and do not, cannot and should not get much sun.  

Can someone recommend a nice --- very well moisturizing, but not sticky, hot and smothering, body lotion/cream with a good SPF that is fragrance-free and has minimal chemicals in it?  I don't want all my pores to get clogged up either.  

I want to use this instead of a regular body lotion.  Is this o.k. to do this or I am supposed to wear the SPF in a separate product and then apply the body lotion?  Hope not because this just seems too much to do every day and too heavy on the body. 

My derm. tells me to use Cerave body cream, which I do.  it is the best, he says.  He also says an SPF is a good thing, but he has no recommendations as to how to get both. 

I appreciate all recommendations.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

Re: Need a fragrance-free body lotion or cream with SPF

@AngelPuppy1  I'm not going to recommend a product... just tell you what my thoughts are on this.  I live in south Florida... plenty of sun here!  I use spf on my face every day.  But, I only use it on my body if I'm going to spend an extended time in the sun. The way I see it, I need the vitamin D from the sun, and I can get it when I'm out and about, and on my early morning walks.  My arms are tanned, but not excessively, and that base tan protects my fair skin from burning. 

I'm not saying not to be careful ... I swim laps on Sundays, and wear a swim shirt in the water.  I will sometimes add sunscreen to my legs, but not often.  

A few months ago, I was standing outside talking to customers for about 5-10 minutes.  I was in a sleeveless top, with narrower straps than usual, and my shoulders burned.  I was surprised!  It's been years since I've burned.  They were red for several days, but it wasn't serious.  I wouldn't bother with sunscreen for moments like these.  But, If I was going on a picnic or hike, I would.

So, to me, it's about being smart in the sun, but letting some get through.

Respected Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 ... one more comment, on the moisturizer.  I've hear great things about Cerave!  If you're ever looking for something completely natural, try coconut oil!  It's the best on my sensitive skin.  It's also great on my nails, and is helping a rough dry spot on my arm that nothing else has helped.  Use sparingly!!!

Trusted Contributor

If you can't find a good product with SPF, I would use a sunscreen first then a body lotion/cream.  That's what I do.  I do use a moisturizer on my face that has an SPF and SPF for the body.  I like Neutrogena's sunscreens and Kinesys Spray Sunscreen.  Jason Natural has a Pure Natural Mineral Sunscreen SPF 30.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've always been told to put on your SPF LAST, before makeup. Moisturize first then apply SPF. 

Most body SPF lotions usually contain an SPF of 15. There are a few brands that are higher but from I've read about them is they tend to be heavy and somewhat tacky. Personally I prefer applying my body lotion first and then apply a sunscreen on top where it needs it, like my arms and legs.

Trusted Contributor

Check Beautypedia. Paula Begoun lists quite a few SPFs for the body that are 5-star rated. If I'm not mistaken, those that earn 5 stars are fragrance-free.

Honored Contributor

Found one that might work well for you. Meets most of your requirements. Eucerin Daily Protection Broad Spectrum SPF 30 Body Cream. It has some chemicals, but no parabens or fragrance

Another option is Alba Botanica's Very Emollient Daily Shade Lotion SPF 15. Less chemicals, and no parabens but it has fragrance. And Aveeno's Daily Moisturizing Lotion SPF 15 sounds nice. No fragrance, but it has Methylparaben.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1,    Eucerin fragrance free lotion with spf 15 or Aveeno moisturizing lotion spf 15 at iherb.com.   $20 free shpg.  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@ItsME wrote:

@AngelPuppy1  I'm not going to recommend a product... just tell you what my thoughts are on this.  I live in south Florida... plenty of sun here!  I use spf on my face every day.  But, I only use it on my body if I'm going to spend an extended time in the sun. The way I see it, I need the vitamin D from the sun, and I can get it when I'm out and about, and on my early morning walks.  My arms are tanned, but not excessively, and that base tan protects my fair skin from burning. 

I'm not saying not to be careful ... I swim laps on Sundays, and wear a swim shirt in the water.  I will sometimes add sunscreen to my legs, but not often.  

A few months ago, I was standing outside talking to customers for about 5-10 minutes.  I was in a sleeveless top, with narrower straps than usual, and my shoulders burned.  I was surprised!  It's been years since I've burned.  They were red for several days, but it wasn't serious.  I wouldn't bother with sunscreen for moments like these.  But, If I was going on a picnic or hike, I would.

So, to me, it's about being smart in the sun, but letting some get through.

@ItsME

That sounds like a very smart plan for your needs!  I agree with most of what you have   posted.  It is important to get Vit D and I sure need that!  However, I have many skin issues and do not have healthy skin at all.  So, I am just floundering trying to find what is right for me.  It sounds like you have pretty nice skin and skin that is not easily burned -- you are lucky!  Thank you for your kind post --- and I appreciate it very much.

Honored Contributor

@henderson wrote:

If you can't find a good product with SPF, I would use a sunscreen first then a body lotion/cream.  That's what I do.  I do use a moisturizer on my face that has an SPF and SPF for the body.  I like Neutrogena's sunscreens and Kinesys Spray Sunscreen.  Jason Natural has a Pure Natural Mineral Sunscreen SPF 30.

@henderson

Thanks for the suggestions.  I already have to put medicinial things on my skin before I even put on other things, so I am trying to limit the amount of steps and the amount of products I am putting on.  It sounds stupid but I spend so much time on my skin that it is so tiring.  And my skin still does not look great.