Respected Contributor

Re: Need Recommendations For A Semi Permanent Hair Color

@cuddlesmama  As others have said, it's probably time to switch to a permanent color.  I don't know what color your hair is, but as the gray increases, it's usually best to go lighter rather than dark, so the roots won't look so obvious, and the grays will blend in better as the color starts to wash out after a few weeks.

I've been using Revlon Colorsilk (non-ammonia) for more years than I can remember.  It's cheap ($3-$3.50), smells fine, and leaves my long blonde hair soft, shiny, and tangle-free.  I appy it first to the new growth, leave it on for 20 minutes, then comb it through the rest of my hair for the last 5 minutes before washing it out.

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@cuddlesmama   Another option: Use permanent color once every three/four months. In between that time if you need to color, you can try the semi. That has worked for me.

April is Autism Awareness/Acceptance month.
Trusted Contributor

I've been using that same brand for give or take for 35 years. I've never had the problems mentioned.  I go around my hairline first, then my crown around to the back and bottom. Leave on a full 20 minutes. Then wash out with shampoo and the conditioner that comes with it for color treated hair.  My problem is my hair grows so fast that I have gray roots before the month is up.

Respected Contributor

I'm hold off the permanent color/salon color for as long as I can.

I use Color Charm (Sally's). It is mixed with a non ammonia developer and I add about 3-4 drops of a product called Grey Magic per recommendation of Sally's. 

Instructions say to leave on 20 minutes. So if I start at temples by the time I finish and start the timer it will be on the hair about 30 minutes.

I also use a sulfate free shampoo and conditioner (redkin).

I can go about 4-5 shampoos before I feel I have to color again. 

Trusted Contributor

I just recently saw their advertisement online, @BirdieGal, & was wondering if they were any good. Thanks for the info!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I know there are other non ammonia colors out there.  If I am not mistaken, Garnier has one.  I would try to stick with a no ammonia formula because it is not hard on your hair.  Sometimes you have to leave on a tad longer.  You want your hair to soft and shiny and not look like straw.  I do not trust the regular permanent colors.  Most women that have used the product for years -- there hair looks like it and it's not attractive.  

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

@2blonde wrote:

@cuddlesmama  As others have said, it's probably time to switch to a permanent color.  I don't know what color your hair is, but as the gray increases, it's usually best to go lighter rather than dark, so the roots won't look so obvious, and the grays will blend in better as the color starts to wash out after a few weeks.

I've been using Revlon Colorsilk (non-ammonia) for more years than I can remember.  It's cheap ($3-$3.50), smells fine, and leaves my long blonde hair soft, shiny, and tangle-free.  I appy it first to the new growth, leave it on for 20 minutes, then comb it through the rest of my hair for the last 5 minutes before washing it out.

Thank you for suggesting Revlon I have never used there hair color and will look into this. I am not ready for a permanent hair dye. I hate when it grows out you have that  line and its harder on your hair. 

Respected Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

I know there are other non ammonia colors out there.  If I am not mistaken, Garnier has one.  I would try to stick with a no ammonia formula because it is not hard on your hair.  Sometimes you have to leave on a tad longer.  You want your hair to soft and shiny and not look like straw.  I do not trust the regular permanent colors.  Most women that have used the product for years -- there hair looks like it and it's not attractive.  

I feel like  you do I don't want to use permanent hair color it's not good for your hair. I will look in to the Garnier and see if they have one also. Someone also mentioned Revlon has one that is ammonia free also.l Thanks soo much!!

Esteemed Contributor

Another vote for Revlon Colorsilk.  I've never checked if it is "permanent" but I know it is ammonia free.

It lasts almost 3 weeks for me before I notice fading.  I like to refresh it at least once a month, but I see a bit of gray around my hairline at 3 weeks.  Can't stand it, so I color often.

I've used medium brown or natural brown for many years and it looks like my natural color. 

Respected Contributor

Thank you soo much ladies for all of our suggestions. I am not ready for a permanent hair color so I will try other products that has no ammonia and see how it goes. You have all ben so helpful!!