Respected Contributor

Need Recommendations For A Semi Permanent Hair Color

I have been using Clairol Natural Instincts for years and I used it this morning and it didn't cover all of my gray!! I don't know if they changed the formula but  it always works for me and I just bought it. Maybe I need to change to another company but I don't know many that have semi permanent I see most of them are permanent. Any help would be  appreciated. Thanks!

Respected Contributor

Re: Need Recommendations For A Semi Permanent Hair Color

That is the brand I used for a long time until I stopped and let my hair grow out to natural gray.  My hair is short but sort of thick.  I remember thinking, towards the end of my hair coloring days, that there seemed to be less product.   I began buying / using 2 boxes at a time and that solved the problem. 

Respected Contributor

Years ago I also found the semi permanent hair color did not cover all my gray.  I switched to permanent dye and got better results.  Maybe it is time to switch.

If you are determined to stay with semi permanent, you might try your product again, leaving it on longer.  Or call the 1-800 number on your dye and ask them for help. Good luck.

Honored Contributor

I agree it may be time to switch to permanent color.

Before you do, if you have a Sally's Beauty Store nearby, the girls are always knowledgeable about their in-house brands.

Trusted Contributor

I have been using eSalon for several years now. They are an online company created by stylists and colorists. They custom blend a color for you. You create an account, upload a picture of yourself and then get to interact with a consultant.

Their products are really really good. You can change your color anytime, change the formula. Anything you want.

They were just again voted top at home hair color by Allure.

check it out!

Honored Contributor

@cuddlesmama wrote:

I have been using Clairol Natural Instincts for years and I used it this morning and it didn't cover all of my gray!! I don't know if they changed the formula but  it always works for me and I just bought it. Maybe I need to change to another company but I don't know many that have semi permanent I see most of them are permanent. Any help would be  appreciated. Thanks!

@cuddlesmama, I used Natural Instincts for a long time because I was too chicken to use permanent hair color. It didn't cover the resistant greys at the temple. I actually now get my color done at the salon. I really think you will have to switch to permanent hair color to get the desired affect you want.

Trusted Contributor

I'd also suggest time to use permanent hair color. I used the Clarol Natural Instincts for years, but I dislike their permanent hair color. It smells really bad & think the conditioner included smells almost as worse. L'Oreal permanent hair colors don't stink as bad & the conditioners are better, too. Be sure to follow the directions on the ends for touch ups later.

Honored Contributor

How long did you leave it on for? If you have resistant gray you need to leave it on longer. Do a strand test for 20 minutes. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Valued Contributor

I used Garnier for years and became dissatified for the same reasons you all have been having - not enough product, not good coverage.  I recently went with Madison Reed (which is permanent color, but really isn't "permanent" as it does fade out after a few months) and I am very pleased with it. 

Respected Contributor

Had been doing my hair at home for several years. After awhile the products do not work. I switch to a salon with much better results. I think they have better products than we can buy.