Honored Contributor

Re: Need Opinions on Neck/Shoulder/Jaw/Scalp Tension

So grateful for all of your input. I have kept all of the tension producing behaviors I developed in the 5 years I took care of my mom, and then some. I second massage, especially with a massage therapist, if you are lucky enough to have access to one. I'm going to start the other techniques mentioned today.
Super Contributor

Please make sure you have your heart checked. Not to scare you but make you aware ...Neck and jaw pain and tension can be a precursor to heart problems in women.

My 41 year old sister ignored jaw tension and pain on one side of her head to her detriment and suffered a heart attack. It went on about 2-3 months and then she had the attack.

Initially she was otherwise very healthy at the time so the docs prescribed muscle relaxers and pain relievers and checked her for a salivary gland issue, ignoring her heart. Please be careful.

Edited to add: she also had what she though were tension headaches for those months as well as pain in the front of her shoulder on side that had the jaw pain.

Valued Contributor

On 9/7/2014 AnotherView2 said:

Please make sure you have your heart checked. Not to scare you but make you aware ...Neck and jaw pain and tension can be a precursor to heart problems in women.

My 41 year old sister ignored jaw tension and pain on one side of her head to her detriment and suffered a heart attack. It went on about 2-3 months and then she had the attack.

Initially she was otherwise very healthy at the time so the docs prescribed muscle relaxers and pain relievers and checked her for a salivary gland issue, ignoring her heart. Please be careful.

Good point, Anotherview2 - might be a good idea to make an appointment just to be sure. Women doing "men's jobs" (I'm in banking and years ago there were no women managers) have developed a lot of the same issues that men typically have. Thanks!

Contributor

You might have a mineral deficiency. Have you had a dexa scan for osteoporosis. From my experience, after finding out I have OP, after a month of supplements I stopped clnching my teeth and jaws.

Regular Contributor

I love massage but find that acupuncture works better than anything I have tried.In the SF Bay Area we have Community Acupuncture which is usually on a sliding scale of payment and is not a private session but works for me for stress.I do not recommend western medicine pharmaceuticals! There are herbs for relaxation such as lemon balm,passion flower,chamomile and valerian.So much better!

Esteemed Contributor

tars, you said all thoughts are welcome, so here goes.

I did a belly dancing class a few months back. The instructor kept pushing my shoulders down. After class, she said people hunch their shoulders without realizing it and that is a source of tension in the shoulders, upper back and neck.

Now that I am aware that I do this, I make a conscious effort to keep my shoulders down.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Honored Contributor

I too have a very stressful job and should be close to retirement age but must keep working, and since I have a specialized job and there are no others (plus the age-ism which exists), I must keep the one I have until I win the Lotto. I survive on occasional tranquilizers, occasional muscle relaxants, and pampering myself as much as I can afford. Massages (chair, full body, whatever you can afford), spa mani-pedi. A fun meal out on weekends. I have also had some success in the past with subliminal relaxation recordings, which have improved and changed since I used them. I had one that would start at the head and end at the toes, and it did work. Good luck - you have my sympathy.
Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

On 9/7/2014 beautybee said:

Hi Tarsmom. I am so sorry for your recent losses and all of the stress you are going through. We are at an age group where we are seeing these losses come at a greater pace. Both of my parents and a sibling have passed away within the last couple of years. I also have a disability that I deal with on a daily basis.

Several things have worked for me. One is meditation. Recent research has found that it does make the brain stronger and allows one to cope with life in a better way. Next is yoga. There are various forms available. Yoga helps with the body mind connection and it helps to calm the body down. I am currently doing the Ultimate Yogi series, but you can search youtube for shorter yoga programs and meditation programs.

For facial tension, I like the Yamuna Face Saver program. It's suppose to be an anti aging technique but what it really does is release the tension from the face. I like to do this a few times a week. Some times I can really feel some soreness and tension being released. You can also do a jade roller, but I like the Yamuna program because she guides you in what to do.Smile

Also for breath work I like Max Strom's dvd. You would be surprised how much tension we hold when we start to do deep breath work.

I hope these suggestions are helpful to you.

This is an excellent post!

I would add that learning biofeedback, guided imagery, and self-hypnosis from a good therapist can work wonders for the mind, body and spirit.

tarsmom, I wish you and everyone the best.Smile

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Esteemed Contributor

Edited to add: she also had what she though were tension headaches for those months as well as pain in the front of her shoulder on side that had the jaw pain.

I agree with this and wanted to add that 10mgs of Celexa is a very low dose, probably ineffective for most people. Also, Celexa is not a bedtime med. It should be taken in the morning.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Honored Contributor

On 9/7/2014 betteb said:

I agree with this and wanted to add that 10mgs of Celexa is a very low dose, probably ineffective for most people. Also, Celexa is not a bedtime med. It should be taken in the morning.

Plus one of the possible side effects is insomnia.
Life without Mexican food is no life at all