Super Contributor

Re: Need Nail Base Coat that is good for your nails -- Is there such a thing?

So many products to try and find one that works for you. Have you tried Nail Envy by OPI? Or Hard Rock Hydrating Nail Hardener by Deborah Lippmann?

Hydrating your nails may help. After I remove my polish on Saturday night, I use shea butter (L'Occitane), or any good hand and nail cream (Rich Girl by Deborah Lippmann, this is extremely concentrated and only takes a miniscule amount) will do, and massage into the nail. Then apply cuticle oil. With the cuticle oil, I swipe the sides of the brush against the top of the bottle, then lightly run it around the entire cuticle and just let soak in. I do it again before bed. Sunday I apply shea butter frequently all day, and cuticle oil in the morning and noon. In the late afternoon, or evening, I do my manicure.

Continue applying oil or creams to cuticles and nails everyday. I do it morning and night, and of course when I use my hand cream during the day. Hope you find something to help!

I'm going to try out that Hard as Hoof Nail Cream.

Trusted Contributor

I use Nailtiques Formula 2 both as a treatment and as a base coat when I use polish. Nothing has done as much to strengthen my nails.

Respected Contributor

Another big rave for Hard As Hoofs! It has worked magic on my nails. I found mine at Walmart near the Sally Hansen nail products.

Respected Contributor

On 9/1/2014 vaccinia said:

I use Nailtiques Formula 2 both as a treatment and as a base coat when I use polish. Nothing has done as much to strengthen my nails.

I've had the same positive experience with this. Won't be without it anymore.
Contributor

I'm hooked on the Pink Gel product from the Q...to the point I have it on auto delivery as I never want to be without it. The improvement in my previous peeling, splitting nails has been amazing. I've tried just about everything although I haven't heard about "Hoof" before but now I have thick, strong lovely nails and in fact they grow so well I need to trim them every week or so. Great product.

Super Contributor

I've been using Launchpad Peptide Infused Nail Strengthener by Dermelect for a few months and it has helped with my peeling nails and also with the ridges. It is 3 free. Got it at Ulta.

Contributor

I have had awful nails since removing acrylics several years ago, so like all suggestions.
Honored Contributor

Thank you so much! I am hopeful after reading about some of these products. I am just so scared to have my nails get in the shape and look as bad as they did. Now, they look pretty healthy, but they are very fragile and break so easily and split, etc. I may start out with the Hard as Hoof Cream and see how that goes.

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Frequent Contributor

Derma Nail.....order it from summers lab...other places may have it.....ive used it for years....keep polish on my nails always........this conditioner keeps them looking healthy and natural...no yellowing ever............very little chipping.....or splitting........it's great..................

Honored Contributor

I've been using the pink gel coat from QVC and don't see much difference. My nails just don't grow. I also take ""hair and nails"" vitamins.