Respected Contributor

@Tigriss wrote:

I wondered about the wattage of the CAJ since I couldn't find it any where. THe Revlon has 1200 watts and seems to be the most I could find. 

Ok, I started this reply and went shopping.  I decided to try 3 different ones from Amazon.  I went with 3 because the total was under $35 for all three.  They are different wattages, different bristles and different diameters.  Here they are:

Milano Collection Wigs Hot Air Hair Brush Keeps Hair Looking Fresh! Milano Collection Wigs Hot Air Hair Brush for wigs and natural hair $9.99 with 20% off.  500Watts and 1" barrel with plastic teeth like a hair brush.  No reviews yet, but at 9.99, I will try it, plus the teeth are different and my hold my super fine, super thick hair better than the bottle brush kind.

Revlon Shine Enchancing Hot Air Kit

Revlon Shine Enhancing Hot Air Kit $18.18, 1200W, 3 heat/speed settings with cool shot, ionic switch, and release button for the attachments.  I went with this one over the pink one because the pink one had complaints that the release for the heads would fail.  THis one had a different release mechanism, so I figured why not.

Vidal Sassoon Hot Air Styler Vidal Sasson Hot AIr Styler with 250W, plastic teeth, 1", barrel switch that unlocks to let the barrel roll your hair out of the curl instead of pulling it out, $14.99 with 50% off, so $7.50, 2 heat settings. This one had decent reviews but is only 250W.  

I will share the results when I get to try them with my above chin, asymmetrical bob/long pixie.  It has grown out a bunch since It was mid ear, so I need to color it again, but other than that, it had grown out well.

The middle one is what I use.  1200 watts is plenty and gets hot enough to burn.  I had the 1800 watt and it gets too hot and will fry your hair.  I wrote one of the complaints about the brushes falling off after the clip wears out.  But that doesn't happen on the 1200 watt.

Trusted Contributor

I love these brushes.  They have a wide variety at Ulta and several under 30.  Especially good deal if you use a 20% off coupon!  I have a conair one and it works great.

Respected Contributor

C_la_vee, thanks for the JF suggestion.  I didn't know he made one in a 1" model.  I don't mind it not spinning.  All the ones that do spin are around 2", which is way to big for my hair.

Respected Contributor
Scooby Doo, I didn't know one was made that was 1800W. I like the idea of it having the same wattage of a hair dryer, but can understand where it would burn you because it is closer to your roots than a normal dryer with doing it your self. I'm so not good at the round brush and dryer thing. I am excited to get these.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Need Hot Air Brush Help

[ Edited ]

I have a Conair 1000 watt hot air brush.  When I bought it my purpose was not to spend too much because I wasn't sure if this type of styling tool would be appropriate for my tight curly hair.  As long as the hair is not dripping wet I can get my hair dry and styled with one tool.  My styling time is greatly reduced because for my hair type the process is blow dry; smooth with flat iron; then another tool to put the set in (curling iron or hot rollers).  The Conair brush works so well I see no reason to give it up to try something more expensive which couldn't possiblly perform any better. 

Respected Contributor
Trix, thanks for sharing. You do make a great point about all those tools and heat with each one. All of that isn't good for the hair. I like to air dry my hair, so I'm not damaging it any more than coloring it. I want something quick, that will dry the hair product in my hair for more volume without my uncoordinated self attempting to use a hair dryer and round brush. I pray I can dampen, mousse, and dry for volume to set the mousse. Here's to experimenting!