Respected Contributor

I'm considering getting a hot air brush similar to the CAJ one on QVC.  I have above my chin length hair and lots of super fine, super thick color treated hair.  DO you have any advice about buying one or using one?

Respected Contributor

I purchased one from Walmart - they are a LOT cheaper there - I do like how they work.  I cut my hair fairly short and I also used it as it grew out - good for straightening.  Although most of the time I tended to dry my hair to the point of just a little dampness, then using it - it doesn't work on real wet hair. 

Respected Contributor

I have the Revlon 1200 watt hot air brush and it's all I use.  The blue one.  I have thick curly hair and this tool works like a charm.  I blow my hair almost dry, then curl it in sections.  I've been using this for over 10 years.

Trusted Contributor

@Scooby Doo wrote:

I have the Revlon 1200 watt hot air brush and it's all I use.  The blue one.  I have thick curly hair and this tool works like a charm.  I blow my hair almost dry, then curl it in sections.  I've been using this for over 10 years.

@Scooby Doo great ...ty! didnt wanna spend that much $ on the one that Q has....sometimes non high end barnds are better!!!!

My son went to Heaven 4/15/2018
I love and miss him so very much. God Bless you my dear Nicky
Frequent Contributor

I also use the Revlon one!  It works great and for the price you can't beat it. I will sometimes partially dry my hair first with a hair dryer then finish with the hot air brush. Walmart and Target carry it.

Respected Contributor

I wondered about the wattage of the CAJ since I couldn't find it any where. THe Revlon has 1200 watts and seems to be the most I could find. 

Ok, I started this reply and went shopping.  I decided to try 3 different ones from Amazon.  I went with 3 because the total was under $35 for all three.  They are different wattages, different bristles and different diameters.  Here they are:

Milano Collection Wigs Hot Air Hair Brush Keeps Hair Looking Fresh! Milano Collection Wigs Hot Air Hair Brush for wigs and natural hair $9.99 with 20% off.  500Watts and 1" barrel with plastic teeth like a hair brush.  No reviews yet, but at 9.99, I will try it, plus the teeth are different and my hold my super fine, super thick hair better than the bottle brush kind.

Revlon Shine Enchancing Hot Air Kit

Revlon Shine Enhancing Hot Air Kit $18.18, 1200W, 3 heat/speed settings with cool shot, ionic switch, and release button for the attachments.  I went with this one over the pink one because the pink one had complaints that the release for the heads would fail.  THis one had a different release mechanism, so I figured why not.

Vidal Sassoon Hot Air Styler Vidal Sasson Hot AIr Styler with 250W, plastic teeth, 1", barrel switch that unlocks to let the barrel roll your hair out of the curl instead of pulling it out, $14.99 with 50% off, so $7.50, 2 heat settings. This one had decent reviews but is only 250W.  

I will share the results when I get to try them with my above chin, asymmetrical bob/long pixie.  It has grown out a bunch since It was mid ear, so I need to color it again, but other than that, it had grown out well.

Respected Contributor

I have a Revlon hot air brush, too.  I've had it for several years so I'm not sure where it's from, maybe Target.  I partially dry my hair first, then use it to give me some body.  I use it on dry hair, too, to fluff up my hair between shampoos.

Honored Contributor

My hair is fine, a medium amount, color treated, and around shoulder length in front, a bit longer in back.  I bought the John Frieda Hot Air Brush from Amazon in September.  The one I bought has a 1.5" barrel. I like it a lot, but I think I want to get the 1" too.  Sometimes when a brand offers two sizes, they're not made the same so be sure to pay attention to that, for the size you want.  For instance, the larger can have legit nylon bristles and the smaller will have the hard plastic nub kind of bristles similar to what's on a Perfecter. Fortunately, the John Friedas both have the nylon bristles I like. They move easilyl through my hair and I don't get any tangling.  With John Frieda that I have, I get nice smoothing and rounded ends, which make a nice look, but for a tighter, bouncier curl, I think I need that smaller barrel.  I'm waiting to order that one until after Christmas, just in case I get an Amazon gift card Smiley Wink  A couple of things to remember when using a hot air brush - you still need to use some kind of styling product like mousse and you still need to use your regular blow dryer to get your hair partially dry before doing the actual styling.  

Respected Contributor
Thanks for the tips JLF. I generally wash at night and go to bed wet, then dampen and add mouse before styling, so this will be perfect. I couldn't do 1.5" too well with my hair length. Plus....I do like the short hair cut on the younger girl with blonde hair. It is just too darned cute. I may be going shorter if this tool works out well. When I wash and air dry my current cut, I can just wear it, so I do like that! It takes so long to dry, so that is why I wash it at night and let it air dry without extra heat damage.
Super Contributor

I have the John Frieda one and love it.

It doesn't rotate, it's just like using a brush, great results. I only use from time to time to avoid haid damage but it always gives me great hair.