Respected Contributor

Need Help!! Haircolor Mistake!

I have been coloring my grays for years and picked up a box same company same color and used it.Looked good until I realized after time went buy that I have a hair line demarkation(sp)? and I freaked out and looked at the box and it was a permanent hair color. Now I don't know what to do its going to look awful as it grows out. Do you think I can get the one I used to use and that was semi permanent and go over the permanent  color? It is only on the top as where I colored my hair where the gray is. Has this  happened to anyone else? And the permanent color is looking  lighter so it is noticeable.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Need Help!! Haircolor Mistake!

Yes - it will be fine.  Sometimes what is exteme changes to our eye is not even noticed by others.

After 4 weeks go back to your other product. A hair colorist rarely has a concern about coloring hair more.  You can also call the company and ask for suggestions.

Esteemed Contributor

@cuddlesmama wrote:

I have been coloring my grays for years and picked up a box same company same color and used it.Looked good until I realized after time went buy that I have a hair line demarkation(sp)? and I freaked out and looked at the box and it was a permanent hair color. Now I don't know what to do its going to look awful as it grows out. Do you think I can get the one I used to use and that was semi permanent and go over the permanent  color? It is only on the top as where I colored my hair where the gray is. Has this  happened to anyone else? And the permanent color is looking  lighter so it is noticeable.

@cuddlesmama

I am sure you can do a do over right now and it will be just fine.I know many people that have fixed disasters immediately with no problem!

Honored Contributor

Well, as time goes by your hair will grow.

Honored Contributor

@cuddlesmama wrote:

After 40 yrs. of experience w/ dye, leave it alone until the grey roots show & it's your usual scheduled time to color. Then go back to cover roots w/ your regular semi permanent. What you used to use is not as strong as permanent color. It's meant to cover, blend in grey but wash out after a number of shampoos. The permanent color is lighter on roots because your roots were grey...lighter than the rest of your hair.

Have patience and when grey starts showing again, the semi permanent color will blend it all in. 

Respected Contributor

Thank you so much for your help. Much appreciated I will take your advice in about 4 weeks and go back to my old color. Thanks!! So far none has even noticed but me. My husband didn't notice until I pointed it out and he said it doesn't even look bad, but you   now how us ladies are we notice everything!!

Respected Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@cuddlesmama wrote:

After 40 yrs. of experience w/ dye, leave it alone until the grey roots show & it's your usual scheduled time to color. Then go back to cover roots w/ your regular semi permanent. What you used to use is not as strong as permanent color. It's meant to cover, blend in grey but wash out after a number of shampoos. The permanent color is lighter on roots because your roots were grey...lighter than the rest of your hair.

Have patience and when grey starts showing again, the semi permanent color will blend it all in. 

Thank you soo much!! I am feeling much calmer now!!

Respected Contributor

If you plan to go back to semi-permanent, I would use Color Oops to get rid of the permanent hair color.  Unlike the semi-permanent that washes out, the permanent will need to grow out.

At the very least I'd call the help line.

Respected Contributor

I've heard about a product that will remove the color - anyone know what that is?  It's made specifically for people who make a mistake with hair dye.  I believe you can get it at the drugstore?

Honored Contributor

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

I've heard about a product that will remove the color - anyone know what that is?  It's made specifically for people who make a mistake with hair dye.  I believe you can get it at the drugstore?

It's called Effasol, but I would not recommend using it.  It is harsh, leaves your hair in horrible condition and it must be applied and removed really fast.

It's better to go to a professional who knows what he/ she is doing with Effasol experience.

it's ok to just apply her regular color right now over her Oops.