Trusted Contributor

Neck sensitivity vs. face (TULA TSV)

[ Edited ]

I've used the TULA TSV since receiving it for 3 days in a row.  I also got their skin cleanser a few days before and really like it.  The first night after washing my face I put the serum on both my face and neck.  After putting it on my neck I got an immediate burning sensation and a red blotch about the size of a quarter.  I did not get anything like that after putting it on my face.  Now after 3 days a larger part of my neck is red and it has a dry patch.  After that first night I put nothing on my neck but have continued to use the serum and day/night cream on my face. 

This is not the first time I have trouble like this with my neck getting red and dry skin.  It has done it many times over the years.  I could never figure out for sure what it was but decided in the past (not using anything new on my neck) that maybe I had gotten hair spray or cologne on there and had a reaction.  I am guessing that something in the TULA serum did not agree with the skin on my neck.

I like the TULA products, have them on auto-ship and think I will continue to use them and see how my face skin does.  I've used the mask twice (face only) and really liked it.

I have been using the M. Asam Vinolift Skin Tightening Cream on my neck for about a month with no problems.  When my neck clears up I think I will use that just on my neck and the TULA on my face.

I am wondering if any of you have ever experienced this with your face and neck.  It seems strange that my neck would be sensitive and have this reaction while my face does not.

Honored Contributor

Re: Neck senstivity vs. face (TULA TSV)

I also got the TULA TSV and the first night I applied it my face and neck got very red for awhile, but calmed down.I think there maybe retinol in these products and that's what caused the reaction. I like the mask and serum, but not the day and night cream, it's too greasy for me. I'm going to give it till next week and if my skin continues to get red from it, I'll return it.

Respected Contributor

My neck is definitely more sensitive than my face. I don't use my retinoid or BHA liquid, but I can use my vitamin C serum, my Timeless CO Q10 serum and Gold Bond neck cream. Learned by trial and error. 

Respected Contributor

@soonersis It happens to  me too.  Skin on the neck is much thinner with less collagen and elastin than the face.  That's most likely why we begin to show our age in the neck first.

I have fair, sensitive skin and use a pretty high strength glycolic/retinol 2 step pads in individual packettes by Dr. Dennis Gross. One of the best glycolic products out there. They come in 3 strengths.  I use the "Universal" or regular strength but not everyday.  Now can I put it on my neck? Absolutely not.  I break out in a rash from most products except for simple moisturizers.  Woman Happy

Respected Contributor

I bought the bare minerals neck cream and my neck after a few days was red and itchy.  I guess the neck is more sensitive.  Now I just use argon oil on it.

Esteemed Contributor

There are fewer oil glands in the neck area (oil which cushions the face, and so it, the face, is not as sensitive.)

The serum has a lot of ingredients, but among them, retinyl palmitate, a derivitive of retinol, and ascorbyl palmitate, a C ester. You may be reacting to either of these, or both, or something else.

Sometimes you can work through neck sensitivity if you introduce something very slowly. I did that w/ AHAs, but my neck never got red in any of the process.

Tula does offer a separate neck cream, but I do not know what ingredients are in that.

Trusted Contributor

Thank you for your responses.  It certainly makes sense now to hear of your experiences and know why the neck is so much more sensitive than the face.

I've been using Paula's Choice Clinical 1% Retinol Treatment for over a year on both my neck and my face without any problems on my neck.  I just used it 3 times a week but recently tried to bump it up to every other day.  However when I did that I got a dry patch of skin under my eyes so will just continue to use it 3 days a week.  Will have to wait now to use it on my neck however as it still has a red and dry patch of skin to clear up from the TULA serum.