Super Contributor

Naturally Curly Hair stayed straight after using my flat iron

I flat iron the top of my head 2 or 3 times a week. Lately, after washing and air drying my hair, it hasn't reverted back to the waves and curls, but remains stick straight before I even flat iron it. My hairdresser said product tends to stay in your hair and will cause this. But I rarely use a product before using the iron, so I am confused. Have you had this happen to you? Or heard of this happening?

Respected Contributor

Re: Naturally Curly Hair stayed straight after using my flat iron

Hello, pegomyheart. Smile

I haven't heard of this happening, but to me, it sounds like you may be overusing flat iron. Thermal appliances can do a pretty bad number on a person's hair if it's overused. Try staying away from the flat iron (maybe for about 1 or 2 weeks) for awhile so your hair can have a break.

~Nick Chavez is my favorite vendor on QVC and Alberti Popaj is my favorite QVC host.~
Nick Chavez now has his own sub-forum under the My Favorite Brand folder
Respected Contributor

It might not have anything to do with your flat iron. Curly hair is persnickety. Maybe your weather conditions are affecting it, maybe your cut de-emphasized the curl or the cut is growing out and the weight is pulling your curls out, maybe your hormones or diet have changed and are affecting it...

Contributor

Yes, this is happening to me. I have always had corse curly, wavy hair. After an accident I could no longer straighten my hair with any type of device . Special treatments were not an option for me due to expense. I have only washed my hair with conditioner for years as I have no oil whatsoever . I only "wash" my hair with shampoo when I have been exposed to a real dirty environment. I always wash the condition out 100%. The past 3 months my natural curl is not there anymore. I believe it is related to my age 60 plus. I have never dyed my hair but did have some highlights put in to blend my gray with my blonde hair. In my case I believe it is related to the graying of my hair, although still thick as ever. If high humidity was predicted I would just wet my hair use a scrunch curl gel, perfect. If I wanted to straighten it, I would use old fashion velveteen hot rollers. My hair is full straight with loose curl due to the weight of my hair. I really believe it is due to aging , and recently had vit levels done which showed some deficiencies, I discussed with my doctor as my levels of iron, and Vit D were critically low. I believe the vitamin levels, esp iron part of the cause. I have been taking supplements under MD supervision ( read labels on all OTC "over the counter " vitamins. So far there has been no changes in my hair issues but you do have to tune up at a certain age. I am hoping correction of my vit levels & increase hydration will help. Remember I do this under medical supervision, with blood test. I was shocked when I saw them as I love my iron & Vit D foods with 15 min of sun. Sorry this response is long but I never thought it could be caused by vitamins. Please do any supplements under medical supervision, as an overdose of iron can be very serious. Never had this issue before. Also certain medications can effect the way your hair behaves. Now just have to find a "style" I can manage without a trimming every six weeks. I only set it maybe once every 2 months. I have slept in oil treatments , only to find I had to use so much shampoo to wash it out so was a waste. If my dtg hot irons my hair (0 humidity LOL) ,I use a hot tool protectment hair treatment. Depending on the stage of life many things can show in your hair, nails, skin ect. So I would encourage you to talk to your MD & make sure he understands your concerns. Good luck in searching for the reason, maybe you just changed hair products or diet. My graying hair is nothing like my natural hair. I also do massage my scalp to increase circulation to my hair follicles. I think I am just going to have to accept the way it is after years of youthful thick blonde waist length hair. Now shoulder length, no layers. An educated , experiences stylist also may be able to give you the solution or suggestions. Many if you go to one for years can also pick up any changes. Good luck in your search for the reason for the change. But please only take supplements under MD supervision where follow up blood work will be done. I recently read a Super vit label for women, looked at the contents, and even spoke to the pharmacists as it was so misleading. Hope to hear back after your process of elimination & maybe a wellness visit with your MD discussing your concerns. Many don't listen as they are rushed, I just ask mine to stop & listen to my concerns as you know your body better than anyone. ??
Respected Contributor

The older I've gotten the more curl I have. For the most part I just let it air dry and fluff.