Frequent Contributor

Nails: Gel vs. dip vs. acrylic

Hi Guys - I wanted some opinions on different nail options. 

I have tried gel polish (cured with uv light) multiple times in the past.  Lately, it has started chipping within a week and I spent $35 to get it done.  I could have paid for a regular manicure at $15 and it would have lasted the same amount of time.  

I have tried dip in the past only a couple of times.  The first time I tried it, it chipped also.  It is $35 and doesn't include an actual manicure.  You have to pay extra for that.  Should I give it another try?  

Are acrylic nails still a thing?  It has been years since I have done it but it lasts and it is certainly a lot cheaper.  

Just trying to figure out what to do with these nails.  Is there another option I am missing?  

Thanks! 

Honored Contributor

Re: Nails: Gel vs. dip vs. acrylic

Yes acrylic nails are still a thing.  I have an acrylic overlay over the top of my natural nails.

I had tried just gel polish on my natural nails but it didn't make my nails strong enough. They still bent, split and broke.  That prompted me to just have the tech do an acrylic overlay.  

I do gel polish over the top of my acrylic nails and I don't have a problem with the polish chipping at all.  I never had a problem with regular polish coming off my acrylic either except it did start to wear off the tips.

I've never tried the dip powder.  The place I go to just now started to carry that and it's more money then regular gel polish so I'm not going to bother.  I think if I was doing just gel over my natural nails I would try the dip powder.  I know a few people who do it and they said it lasts longer for them.  

Regular Contributor

I just started in December getting my nails done by a salon- she does the acrylic layers first, then the gel layers. My mani lasts about 4-5 weeks. It was $55. but well worth it. I am in & out in an hour including the drying under the light. I chose the French mani b/c it doesn't show as much around the cuticals when the nail is growing then a color would- this gives you a little extra time before you need to go back for thr fill-in.

Trusted Contributor

I do both dip and gel manicures.  I have found  the the dip is much harder on my natural nails.  I have strong nautrally nice shaped nails, but the dip takes the top layer off because they have to buff off the top surface to make the product stick.  It lasts on my nails for 3 weeks and looks great, but it is causing my nails to be very, very weak.  The gel nails are not as hard on my nails.  I get them done twice a month and they stay strong and do not break.  They might peel a little because the gel lifts around the cuticle at the end of two weeks and I start to pick at it.  I know neither are great for nail health, but the look is very nice.  I do not notice people at my nail salon doing acrylic anymore.

Regular Contributor

I still have the acrylic overlay and I have no interest in going to gel.  

Trusted Contributor

i been getting my nails done for about 30 yrs,,, always had acrylic overlay over my nails.. been getting the gel polish the past yr or 2... i pay 25.00 but she does give me a few dollars off because i been going to her for about 5 yrs,,, i never had a problem with it chipping.. i hear some people saying theres chips,, i'd try someone different, it takes awhile to find a good nail person,, i been to quite a few... mine lasts.. i get them done every 2 weeks because they grow so fast....  keep looking around for a good nail person

Respected Contributor

I've had gel, dip and acrylic and they're all the same, just different procedures to keep people trying something new. 

I'm now using Rejuvacote on my own natural nails and they look so strong and healthy.  I don't think I'll ever go back to the fake stuff.

Honored Contributor

I have hard gel nails. They last a month. I had acrylic nails for YEARS & switched to gel nails (gel polish, with hard gel overlay). I’ve also tried nail dip powder but it’s not real popular where I live, so I haven’t found a nail tech  who is really good at it.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Frequent Contributor

Thanks ladies for taking time out to respond.  Lots to think about! 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Years ago I got acrylics then I switched to wraps...my manicurist no longer does the wraps.  Instead she uses powder & glue (only to me and one other client) which is less expensive than gels and lasts a full two weeks.  Most of her other clients get regular manicures or the gel.

I've been doing this powder & glue for at least 15 years and it hasn't damaged my nails and works really well....

ETA:  I'll have to ask my manicurist what dip powder is next time I go.