Esteemed Contributor

Re: Nail recovery (from gel/dip/acrylic)

Here's my list of products that work for me:

T.I.P.S.--sesame oil  (returns moisture back to the nails

Perfect Formula  nail gel (not really a gel but a nail multi tasker) you only need 1 or 2 coats and your nails are protected and strenghtened

A.S.K.--polish remover (the only conditioning polish remover I have ever found)

Pro Strong nail polish --if you want color on your nails

Hope one/some of these give you the results they do for me. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Dont recommend Perfect Formula, it contains formaldehyde. 

Honored Contributor

@JeanKC  - back when I decided to no longer wear acrylic nails, my nails were also in poor shape.  Very weak with ridges.   Perfect Nails is what saved me back then.  Highly recommend.

Perfect Formula Gel Coat and Color Kit with Crystal Nail File - A354680

Honored Contributor

It's been 10 years, but I just kept my nails cut and filed the gel nails off.  Going to retail, after teaching, I wouldn't be passing that shop any longer and didn't want to be tied down with two week appts.

Honored Contributor

TIPS is the only product that keeps my nails from peeling and breaking.  I've been using it for over 10 years and when I slack off I get in trouble.  I did have a problem with one nail splitting right down the middle.  It was caused by ridged nails.  I got some Sally Hansen ridge filler and have kept that nail covered with a few coats during the entire growing out process.  Since I seem to be allergic to all nail polish, I've had a pale white finger for months and months.  But it was worth it.  TIPS is expensive but you won't use it nearly as fast as you would think.  

Respected Contributor

I wore gel nails off and on for a couple of years but hated the expense and the upkeep.  When I finally decided to take them off for good, I started using TLC by Esse.  I keep my nails short and I found that this product strengthened them and stopped the peeling that I had had before.  I really like it and it is readily available and I can do it myself.