Respected Contributor
On 10/22/2014 JackieBlue said:
On 10/21/2014 Hoovermom said:
On 10/21/2014 RachB said:

@Hoovermom: I was a die-hard acrylic wearer for 10 years because I would compulsively bite and pick at my nails without the acrylic. After a really bad refill, I had to take them off, but the manicurist I went to didn't have time to put on a new set. So she gave me a regular manicure and scheduled me the following week for a new set. That was 4 years and I'm still sporting my natural nails. Here are my secrets for getting them healthy and keeping them healthy:

-Keep your nails relatively short. Mine are pretty flush with the tip of my finger.

-2 coats of Citra Nail Strengthener, formula #2

-2 coats of nail polish, preferably Essie, OPI, or Zoya

-1 coat of Seche Vite quick drying topcoat (not the best ingredients but it dries to a hard, strong finish super fast)

-CND Solar Oil - a little bit on each cuticle every night

If I feel I don't need the Citra, I use one coat of Zoya Anchor basecoat. I typically get 6-8 days chip free (and I cook/do dishes 4-5 times a week.)

Thank you RachB. I am going to go this week for a "manicure only" and see what my tech says. I know what she will say since I have been going to her for so long, "you cannot do it, stay with your pink and white".....but I am the customer LOL. Thanks for all of the details to get my nails back. Wish me luck and that I don't cave.

Hi Hoovermom. Is there any chance that your nail tech is telling you that you "can not have a real manicure" because she doesn't want to do a real manicure? Or she's concerned that you will stop coming to her for your acrylics? ; )

As for trying a real mani, I say go for it. You may love it!

You have expressed what I was really thinking but did not want to say LOL. When I have tried in the past to make changes, she resists. For example, if you are interested in this little tidbit, I got new contacts and needed to cut my nails down. I told her to just use gel over white powder to try it out. Did she do that? No she used the pink and white plus extra steps that she has never done before and charged me more for that than my normal pink/white. She is the owner's wife and like I said I have been a GREAT customer for 10+ years. So ... I am going to give her one more chance to do what I want and see if she can do it. I am going in tomorrow for a "regular" manicure. Thank you for your interest.

Super Contributor

I have been wearing pink until today. I do still have a pink pedi though. This is my Halloween mani. Hot & Spicy by OPI, Hit the Lights by Nicole by OPI, not pictured - Alpine Snow by OPI (white).

Super Contributor
On 10/17/2014 dancing cricket said:

Tweet You Later by OPI (Sephora by OPI). It's mauve pink.

I do my nails weekly (or so depending on the polish), but I've fallen into a rut of nail polish color choices recently.

Are you guys that much more coordinated than I am, or is there a trick to keeping it off your cuticles and sides along the nail bed?

I wish I was coordinated! I use an e.l.f. liner brush with remover to clean up after my mani. Back when I used to wear only one coat, sometimes two, I would just leave it and the overage came off when I took a shower. Now, I always wear three or four coats so I clean it up a bit before applying top coat.

Honored Contributor
On 10/22/2014 Snow Owl said:

I have been wearing pink until today. I do still have a pink pedi though. This is my Halloween mani. Hot & Spicy by OPI, Hit the Lights by Nicole by OPI, not pictured - Alpine Snow by OPI (white).

Snow Owl, I love your Halloween manicure. My Granddaughters would love this.

Honored Contributor

Talking about coordination and clean-up, I know some wait until after they finish their manicure before they clean-up around their nails. I do better if I clean-up between each coat with an orange stick dipped into remover. Once one coat of color is clean, it is easier to stay within the lines. When I do not clean-up between, I find myself replicating the messy edges. Also, I clean-up my base and top coats. If I do not, the hardened clear polish on my skin, loosens and will cause the polish to peel off my nail.

Super Contributor
On 10/19/2014 woodyend said:
On 10/19/2014 Vamp said:

Woodyend, you know the aluminum foil method for removing glitter polish, right?

No I do not.

After all these years of not doing my nails I need all the advice, tips and suggestions of anyone who is willing to give it.

Take the new polish, I tried to put on after the herculean effort of getting the old polish off, which btw was because after seven days I got tired of looking at it and not b/c I needed too. It still looked like it did in the above picture. Anyway it was Pure Ice’s Tokyo Pearl (lovely color). It was stringy coming out of the bottle and went on clumpy. The blue (Party Hardy) , same brand, was not like this. Was it just the nature of the beast or did I do something wrong?

Whites are a bear sometimes. Polish thinner is very inexpensive at Sally Beauty. Just add a few drops at a time and roll to mix until it is the correct consistency.

To remove glitter polish, take a cotton ball and unroll it. Pinch off pieces large enough to cover the nail. Pour some remover into the bottle cap. Dip the tip of the piece of cotton into the remover and let it soak it up. Place on nail and leave on up to a minute or so, depending on the glitter. Have a few extra cotton pieces so you can test about how long you need to leave it on. You may need to reapply if removed too soon. It will take most of it off. Then use another cotton ball for clean up. Make sure your work surface is covered well.

I always us a base coat and creme polish under glitter. Then I usually only need one coat of glitter polish. Beauty Secrets pink is the best remover I've found for it.

Super Contributor

Thank you, lulu2! It does take a bit of time but everyone comments on them Smile The kids really love them.

Super Contributor
On 10/22/2014 lulu2 said:

Talking about coordination and clean-up, I know some wait until after they finish their manicure before they clean-up around their nails. I do better if I clean-up between each coat with an orange stick dipped into remover. Once one coat of color is clean, it is easier to stay within the lines. When I do not clean-up between, I find myself replicating the messy edges. Also, I clean-up my base and top coats. If I do not, the hardened clear polish on my skin, loosens and will cause the polish to peel off my nail.

It is much easier to stay between the lines after the first coat! I don't have nearly as much to clean after removing the excess from the first coat. It's like a guide for me.

Honored Contributor

Trying again. Here is my color which is Cocktail Party Drama.

Trusted Contributor

lulu2...Congratulation and Best Wishes to you as a breast cancer survivor, I'm so happy for you!!!!

I know there are many pink promoters who have other interests with some rather unseemly organizations or businesses. I think wearing pink lipstick or painting one's nails pink or wearing a beautiful pink sweater bt any company who has no affliation with a breast cancer organization is a wonderful idea and shows support beautifully. If you google "breast cancer support organizations", you can find all of those organizations, see how many $$ of their proceed actually go to breast cancer research and treatment and see what other businesses they might be affliated. There are some very good breast cancer research groups where virtually all of their proceeds go back into research. Check them out.

When my Mother had breast cancer I wanted to get her something small to show my support for her. (She is a survivor also, YAY!). I found a small very reputable, honest research organization online and (I wish I could remember the name of it darnit) bought her a pink ribbon case for her reading glasses. It was just for her, from me to show her I cared, it wasn't showy and she kept it on her night stand. She still uses it.