Honored Contributor
On 10/19/2014 woodyend said:
On 10/19/2014 Vamp said:

Woodyend, you know the aluminum foil method for removing glitter polish, right?

No I do not.

After all these years of not doing my nails I need all the advice, tips and suggestions of anyone who is willing to give it.

Take the new polish, I tried to put on after the herculean effort of getting the old polish off, which btw was because after seven days I got tired of looking at it and not b/c I needed too. It still looked like it did in the above picture. Anyway it was Pure Ice’s Tokyo Pearl (lovely color). It was stringy coming out of the bottle and went on clumpy. The blue (Party Hardy) , same brand, was not like this. Was it just the nature of the beast or did I do something wrong?

I too recently got back into nail polish again, with a vengeance, after a nearly three decade break! I didn't run into any problems until I decided to wear a glitter polish. It was nearly impossible to get the glitter off my fingernails so naturally I came to the board for help. There's a trick that involves saturating cotton balls with acetone and leaving them on each finger nail wrapped in tin foil or those fingertip protectors you get in the office supply store. After leaving it on for a few minutes it's much easier to remove. I think the bottles of glitter polish should come with a warning :-)
Respected Contributor

Glitter polish can be easily removed if the base coat is Elmer's glue or white school glue.

Use an empty nail polish container, or a small jar and a thin paintbrush. Mix the glue with water thorougly to thin it to a base coat consistency. Let the base dry and then apply glitter polish and seal with topcoat.

Trusted Contributor
On 10/19/2014 mstyrion 1 said:

Honk If You Love OPI on fingers and toes. I have a thin stripe of silver glitter across the top of my toes.

Great, rich plum

Oooo, I love that color!

Right now I'm wearing Sephora Formula X in Privileged (a dark purple with a little shimmer) on my toes. It's probably my last regular pedicure until I use Deborah Lippmann Peppermint Winter (a bright red with glitter) for the holidays. I don't bother with pedicures on a regular basis when my feet are in closed toe shoes or boots.

Trusted Contributor
On 10/19/2014 abbeythe8th said:

My finger nail are always polished. My toes are nak*ed once I start wearing close toed shoes.

Both my fingers and toes are featuring Zoya's Marnie, a deep warm plum cream.

abbeythe8th, I love this color! thanks for sharing Smiley Happy

today I'm wearing NARS Storm Bird, a dark gray/blue.

Honored Contributor

Thanks ladies for all the responses.

I've seen some lovely shades, particularly the Zoya polishes. I'll have to check my stash to see if I have any of them. When they run their specials I usually order, then do not remember what I purchased.

I will try Elmer's glue as a base for my glitter polishes.

Super Contributor
On 10/20/2014 lulu2 said:

Thanks ladies for all the responses.

I've seen some lovely shades, particularly the Zoya polishes. I'll have to check my stash to see if I have any of them. When they run their specials I usually order, then do not remember what I purchased.

I will try Elmer's glue as a base for my glitter polishes.

Hi lulu, two of my "hints" -- OPI "Glitter Off" Base Coat, a commercial version of the Elmer's Glue, I suspect. And, I too forget what I have, so long ago, I started keeping a spread sheet on my computer of the polish colors I own under a heading for each brand. As soon as I buy or order a color, I add it to the spread sheet and this helps me not duplicate. It's also so much fun when I discover, "Yep, I already have that one!"

Lola
Trusted Contributor
On 10/19/2014 Katharita said:

I'm just about to apply Essie For the Twill of It on my toes...............

Just took For the Twill of It off my fingers yesterday. Love the color...duochrome, I guess, but I see purple, green and grey. I love it for fall.

Respected Contributor

This thread is right up my alley....74 bottles of Essie, 68 bottles of OPI, and 41 bottles of various others in my collection.

Currently wearing Essie Midnight Cami. Changing this afternoon....can't decide between Essie Angora Cardi, Essie Lady Like, or OPI Color of the Zen-tury.

Trusted Contributor
On 10/19/2014 Vamp said:

Woodyend, you know the aluminum foil method for removing glitter polish, right?

I have no idea. I avoid glitter polish now.

Super Contributor

Wow, I am a nail polish addict LOL !!! I do not wear it for the most part in the summer because of all the gardening, but as soon as fall hits- game on! I just purchased and applied OPI Blasted Black and OPI I found a Pot of gold. I applied 1 coat of clear 1st, then 2 coats of gold followed by the Blasted Black which is a crackle polish and the clear top coat.

It looks like gold veins thru the black, I watched a you tube video where the girl used neon polish on her nails and then blasted black top coats, neat effect. A lot of ideas on youtube!