Esteemed Contributor

@gacat123 wrote:

One design I saw looked  like Candy Corn!   DO let us know what you decide! 

Have you seen Marie Osmond's nails on Nutrisystem?  She has these wicked long and pointy scary nails.  

I like most of the Halloween designs, but my nails are way too short for any kind of design. I'll just put on a solid color with another color on the accent finger. I also have black and orange thread-like polish. Don't know what it's called.

I don't like Marie's nails. I don't think long, pointy nails are very feminine-looking.

Looking forward to seeing everyone's Halloween colors and designs.

Valued Contributor

@Daisy Sunflower 

Looking over my stash looking for Fall / Halloween  colors.   <G>

Found a few I may consider,  * LAVA  *FLAME, both by Sally Hansen.  

Keep Calm and Polish On,  CAT

Respected Contributor

I'm happy this thread is active again. 😃

I look forward to seeing some Halloween manis!

Frequent Contributor

I used Zoya Hunter and Mundo de Uñas Bronze for this fall mani.

FallMani01.jpeg

Trusted Contributor

@nomless I miss this thread too. I sometimes felt like I was talking to myself and/or boring people becasue I change polish so often and my taste in polish is far from conservative, at least partially because I'm retired, so I don't have to worry about what I wear being appropriate for work or even matching my outfit.

How are your nails doing? The bulk of my peeling has finally almost grown out. I'd actually gotten fairly good at hiding it. But that didn't stop the peeled part from breaking off just about the time it actually looked like I had more than nubs.My nails are still on the brittle side tho. I hope I can keep up the things that seem to have helped....RescueRxx, lots of oil and keeping them polished at all times. so they're better protected from water.

Trusted Contributor

@BlackMagic Very nice! I keep buying...and buying and buying...stamping plates . I just need to start using them. I did finally get the technique down (not perfectly, but certainly passable). I keep telling myself that I'll do some stamping later, then toally forget about it.

Please donn't be offended, but I would never use Mundo de Unas. As far as I know, the owner has never provided a list of the ingredients, even tho she's repeatedly been askd and it's legally required. What little testing someone had done on it didn't sound positive.

Esteemed Contributor

@juperier wrote:

I miss this thread too. I sometimes felt like I was talking to myself and/or boring people becasue I change polish so often and my taste in polish is far from conservative, at least partially because I'm retired, so I don't have to worry about what I wear being appropriate for work or even matching my outfit.

@juperier

I started laughing when I read the first part of your sentence. I had read it too fast and read it as "I sometimes felt like I was talking to myself and to boring people." LOL

Frequent Contributor

@juperier Thanks! I had my first plates for about a year before I got brave enough to try stamping on my nails. I’m still very much an amateur and trying to get better. I wanted to have fall colored leaves on a cream background, but my attempt to do a reverse stamp didn’t turn out like I had envisioned. 

About the Mundo de Uñas stamping polish...I ordered knowing that some had problems with it. The most common complaint seems to be headaches from the smell/fumes. I haven’t experienced any problems with the smell. I’m not too concerned with it being on my nails since I’m placing it on top of at least 4 layers of polish (base, 2 coats of color, top coat), but I probably won’t order any more MdU now that there are more companies making stamping polishes.

Trusted Contributor

@BlackMagic I think half the battle is getting the polish from the plate to the stamper, then onto the nail. After that it's mostly a matter of practice. I've seen some of the most gorgeous stamped nails lately. It's obvious that they've truly honed their skill. But you can't even begin to do that until you figure out what angle, pressure, etc gives you a consistant image on the stamper.

The thing that bothered me most about the MdU stamping polish was the owner's refusal to release ingredients.When you're dealing with unknown ingredients, there's just no way to know what the risks are. Yes, some have had breathing problems from inhalation. But my guess is we're also talking aboutissues that would develop over time such as an allergic reaction or toxic buld up of some ingredient in the body.

I've followed several discussions over the past few years. The main one was maybe three years ago, so I don't remember many of the details. Someone did get some very basic testing done (at the university they attended or worked at) which indicated the presence of lead. 

The nails do provide a fairly effective barrier. However, it's way too easy to get polish on the skin. Plus our nails can come into contact with our skin via scratching, internally for those who bite their nails, etc. Also odor isn't a good means of determining whether or not something is toxic. A baby diaper stinks, but inhalation doesn't create a health risk. On the other hand, carbon monoxide is deadly, but you can't smell it.

Anyway, I'm glad there are options out there that don't have that "unknown" factor. The only actual stamping polishes I have are some that one of my favorite indie polish makers sold when she was still making polish. I hadn't tried stamping at the time she released them. And I'd pretty much forgotten about them by the time I bought my first plates. I just go through my collection and search for a heavily pigmented polish in the color I want. So far that's worked out well. Of course, I have a large collection to select from.

This post just cost me a small fortune!. I went in and clicked "submit" on the order of layered stamping plates I left sitting out there a few days ago. Oops! LIke I need more plates that I rarely use.

Trusted Contributor

@Daisy Sunflower Lol, glad you figured out what I meant. Thinking about it, "boring" isn't really the right word anyway. It's more me thinking how my tastes run so different from what the majority would choose to wear.