Trusted Contributor

Hi @gacat123, I'm surprised to see that "The Magician" has again been restocked. This was my first order from ILNP (along with Neon Rosebud). For a pigment that was supposedly discontinued quite some time ago, ILNP and several other indies sure seem to have stockpiled quite a bit of it. In any case, this seemed like a good way to try the pigment over different colors, particularly since the base is neutral.The only other "unicorn pee" polish I have is the original Max Factor Fantasy Fire. That has a colored base and is in a 4.5 ml bottle...tiny and adorable, but not large enough to waste playing with it. I do have a couple ordered from Baroness X that are only available to members of the Facebook fan group. 

As to whether it's worth it...it depends. The actual color shifting depends very much on the type of lighting. This does give a nice effect over black (or dark blue/purple/etc) polish. I also really like it over deep reds. That said, I have a variety of color shifting toppers which I seldom think about using. I'm liking color shifting polishes more and more. I'm sure I'll be digging them out to try over cremes fairly soon (I think for the most part toppers are best over a plain creme rather than a polish that already has shimmer, glitter, etc in it).

DL Diamonds and Pearls is really pretty, tho I'm fairly certain I need a bit more pink than that to work with my skin tone. 

Respected Contributor

Color-shifting toppers? I didn't know there is such a topper. Will need to look into it....I love color shifting polishes. Such a topper would be a great addition to my stash.

Trusted Contributor

@nomless About time you came out of hiding! 

The toppers I'm thinking of are collections from indies that no longer exist. Honestly, I haven't played with them in years, but from what I recall the effect is a bit different than the multichrome polishes out right now. I found blog reviews of both these collections from defunct brands, as well as reviews for some current collections.

For some reason the Cult Nails blog page with them still exists and shows the best representation I could find. Maria's life took a different direction. Her polishs still show up on Ebay,sometimes, even at a reasonable price.

The other brand was Mystic Muse. I also have an additional polish tied to the collection. I think it was in the monthly box they had. Or perhaps a bonus for buying the collection. I would have to look to see what the color shift on it is.

It seems like everyone is putting out multichromes right now. I have eight of the Different Dimension Extragalactic Collection and am buying the rest soon. I also have the Blush Lacquers Midnight Masquerade Collection. I'm also planning on buying the KB Shimmer Multi Chrome Collection when it gets released.

Respected Contributor

Hi, @juperier. Yes, I have been MIA, haven't I?  Mostly because I haven't been doing my nails be because my job is so tough on them. Polish is chipped in minutes.  😞

Thanks for the info about miltichromes. I'll take a look at those you mentioned. I wish such things were available in retail stores.

Trusted Contributor

@nomless Work can be a "four letter word" sometimes no matter how great the job. Unless you want to do your nails every evening (and with blah colors), you're kind of stuck with either clear polish to provide a bit of protection or finding a really qualified nail tech and going with gels or acrylics.

Valued Contributor

@juperier 

I like unusual nail polish.  <G> 

Last night I applied one coat of  DL  *Diamonds & Pearls*over OPI Start to Finish.  I LOVE IT! It is sheer and reminds me of candlelight with a bit of sparkle. One glance it looks like I have no polish on and then lght catches it and i see the sparkle and shine pop. WOW!

A few years ago The Wall Street Journal had an interesting article all about folks chasing elusive and discontinued nail polish.  One they mentioned as *elusive unicorn pee* was a color by ESSIE called  *Starry Starry Night*.  This color was re-introduced in January 2016.

Some say the new is not the same as the old.  It is a black blue with silver tiny sparkles.  

I have heard about this interesting  polish but have not purchased (YET!)  

ESSIE RETRO REVIVAL :    (January 2016)

*Starry Starry Night  (Dark Blue)

*Life of The Party  (RED)

*Bikini With a Martini (Irri Pink)  

*Sequin Sash  (Sheer Glitter Bronze)

* Birthday Suit (Delicate Nude) 

*Cabana Boy (Pearl White) 

Keep Calm and Polish Your Nails, 

CAT

Trusted Contributor

@gacat123 Unfortunately, I seem to think I need "all the polishes." And, yeah, the more unusual, the more I need.

I bet the DH polish would look beautiful by itself! I can just picture it on a former coworkers nails. Sadly, my nails aren't as perfect as hers and I need a bit more opacity to cover the white free edge, varying length (always seem to have one nail that has to get filed back) and at least one or two nails that are peeling. 

I don't recall ever reading or hearing that the original Starry Starry Night had "unicorn pee" in it. The rerelease is definitely not the same. Multiple Youtubers have indicated that Essie should have given the polish a new name since the new version is a pretty polish on its own, just pales in comparison to the original. Honestly, I seem to like these types of polishes better in the bottle than  I do on my nails. Here's a blog with a comparison of the two versions. If you scoll down, there's also a comparison of the original version and KB Shimmer Carpe Denim, which I do have and like.

I couldn't find the WSJ article. But I did find at least three articles from early 2014 on discontinued polish hunting. All were using Essie Starry Starry Night and Clarins 230 as examples. All referred to Clarins 230 as the "unicorn pee" polish. Honestly, I've already done the "hunt for collectible" thing with LPs and CDs. Even with them, while I probably paid a bit more that I should have a few times, I passed on lots of items because they just weren't worth the going rate to me. Most of the polish I buy is limited edition. Will any of it end up being worth more than I paid? Who knows. I'm buying what appeals to me, so I don't particularly care.

Let's see...what I took off...Prety and Polished I Have Better Shift To Do. My nails don't show the tri-color shift.

0423170206.jpg

So...Here's a blog link that shows the tri-color shift a bit better.

As far as what I currently have on. Girly Bits King Candy, I'm just going to provide the best link I could find.. I can't capture the beauty of this polish as well (and it's way prettier than shown).

Regular Contributor

Re: Nail polish threads.

[ Edited ]

@lulu2 wrote:
On 10/17/2014 Remee said:

October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Is no one wearing pink for us ???

I am a survivor and wear an accent nail with Zoya Lux Magical Pixie Dust throughout October.

@lulu2

I LOVE Zoya Pixie Dusts and the Magical Pixies!!!!

They are gorgeous, esp in the sunlight! But most of all, they wear like iron! I am really hard on my nails. I seem to have my hands in water a lot: cleaning the house, bathing my Shih Tzu, doing laundry, doing the dishes, washing my hair....good grief. Lol And I rarely use my latex gloves, though I should. Regular np just does not last more than 3 days at most on me. Pixie Dusts last  week, at least! I have an led lamp, but it is such a pain to remove gel polish. And the newer easy to remove gels have poor color choices., imo

I have on ZOYA Dharma pixie dust, but it was a bit too bright for me. I layered it with Godiva pixie dust, and now I love the color! It turned out to be a peachy-nude sparkly shade! Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

@juperier 

I believe the reference to the original Starry Starry Night in the article I read was that this polish was/is as  elusive as Unicorn Pee.    

I have a longtime opal like favorite that was discontinued and am hoarding a few bottles.  

* N.Y.C.  New York Color Long Wearing Nail Enamel  132 A   Cool Blue Ice Frost *  

I bought it at Target, a lot of time it was out of stock (very popular) and then NYC quit making it!   This is a polish that looks like no polish and then POW it POPS with blues and greens and pinks, very irridescent and shimmery.    (.99 at Target !! )

I have searched for it to no avail.  Let me know if you have any ideas how to locate this.

Keep Calm and Polish On,

CAT 

Trusted Contributor

@gacat123 "As exclusive as" makes much more sense to me. For some reason I was reading it as Starry Starry Night "contained" unicorn pee. 

All I could find is an image of the bottle:

As near as I can tell, it's a really old polish...maybe from around 10 years ago? My only thought for finding it would be Ebay, perhaps in a "lot" that someone is destashing. I think there is also at least one group on Facebook for those interested in selling/buying mainstream/drugstore polishes. Bottom line...sheer luck. If it's truly even near that old, it doesn't surprise me that it would be discontinued. 

I wish I could have found at least a swatch or two of it on someone's nails. Or even a really good image of the bottle that showed the contents better. There are so many indie polishes out there with shifty shimmer, opal flakies, etc, that I bet you could find several you'd like, maybe even a close dupe. If I come across any, I'll post a  link to a blog post showing it/them and tag you.,