Respected Contributor

@juperier

Gray isn't my favorite but like you, I have numerous bottles.  I cannot wear black so go with charcoal.  I'm not sure this will make a week.  My husband will be gone this weekend so I'm solo.  I see a polish change in my near future.

Yellow I cannot do.  It clashes with my skintone.

Have a great day and thanks for always keeping this thread alive!

Honored Contributor

@lulu1 wrote:

@juperier

Gray isn't my favorite but like you, I have numerous bottles.  I cannot wear black so go with charcoal.  I'm not sure this will make a week.  My husband will be gone this weekend so I'm solo.  I see a polish change in my near future.

Yellow I cannot do.  It clashes with my skintone.

Have a great day and thanks for always keeping this thread alive!

@lulu1, is hubby going to the game?

I just found out the last time I got my nails done that there is a top coat they can put on top of polish to make it matte.  There was a girl in there getting her nails done and she went with a dark gray polish then had the matte top coat put on.  It almost made her nails look like a cinder color.

I thought it was very cool, on her.  It wouldn't be for me because I think I'm too old for that plus, if my nails look dull, it drives me nuts.  I like a glossy/shiney look.  

Respected Contributor

Hi@Lipstickdiva,

Yup, he's going to Miami tomorrow afternoon.  I chose to stay home.

I have a matte top coat and every time I've used it, within a few hours I've put a glossy coat over it.  I have a few matte polishes, and even those I top off with shine.

Trusted Contributor

@lulu1 About the only time I wear black is with polishes that need black underneath to make them pop. Same with stark white.

It's funny. I didn't think I could wear yellow either. But when I get a new collection I often pick out the most unlikely to work color to put on first. That happened to be a yellow in a Cupcake Polish collection a couple of years ago. I went to bed still thinking "nope" and figured I'd take it off in the morning. Well, wouldn't you know, when I saw it in natural light the next morning, I couldn't stop staring at my nails and ended up leaving it on till it chipped a day or two later. It definitely depends on the shade. But that's true for most (if not all) other colors too.

Another color I never thought I would be able to wear is that burnt orange/terra cotta color that appears every fall. And I love trying the "ugly/pretty" colors. I'd say I end up loving them far more often than hating them.

I love this thread! Thanks for starting it!

Trusted Contributor

@Lipstickdiva @lulu1 Now on to my thoughts regarding matte topcoat.

First, no @Lipstickdiva, you're not too old tor try it.

It does take a little getting used to when you've always had "shiny" nails. But some polishes are gorgeous matted, particularly mani's with flakies. With solid colors, it seems to bring out every little flaw in both my nails and my application. One thing I've found to help with that is to use a nice thick coat of whatever quick dry top coat I'm using (just seems to fix any unevenness in my application; has rescued many a mani), than apply the matte top coat over that. I've read that matte polishes tend to chip more quickly, but I change polish so often any way that I haven't paid much attention. My only issue is that I totally forget that matte is even an option.

Two different polishes on each hand today. I had a terrible time getting a picture, so the color accuracy isn't the best. Shimmer in Clove on the right hand isn't showing up. Nor is the linear holo in Houston Strong on the left hand. Nor is the magenta glitter on the right hand accent nail (which appers to be the same as that on the left hand accent nail).

Right hand: Polished For Days Clove and Orla

Left hand: Different Dimension Houston Strong and Polished for Days Ceres

20171109_140904-COLLAGE.jpg

Honored Contributor

I used this today, OPI infinite shine line( not the gel) primer, black onyx polish and topcoat

833ffc92b0b487ec4e9eb4e86d221a51.jpg

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Nail polish threads.

[ Edited ]

Haven't tried it yet, but I bought Revlon Diamond Texture at Dollar Tree. Couldn't resist...especially for $1. So pretty !

Trusted Contributor

@Daisy Sunflower That polish would be perfect for New Year's Eve!

Trusted Contributor

@jaxs mom Yay for black!

Trusted Contributor

@lulu1 @Lipstickdiva You two inspired me to go matte. I tried to get a third image with all three polishes on a swatch wheel with glossy top coat, but it just wasn't working. 

Polishes used:

• Pepper Pot Polish - Take a Bau(Haus) - part of an "almost" black collection; relatively bright light is needed to see that this polish is actually a very dark brown
  • Native War Paints - Life is a Glasshouse - flakie topper with orange/pink/gold flakies
  • femme fatale - Underworld - I'm just going to quote the description on Little Mermaid Nailed It's blog...   "Underworld is described as magenta jelly with multichrome overlay (purple to gold), iridescent orange flakes and iridescent orange squares, and accented by fine holographic gold glitters. I really enjoyed this polish."

Accent nail is Take a Bau(Haus) topped with Life is a Glasshouse. Remaining nails are Underworld.

20171110_055435-COLLAGE.jpg