Trusted Contributor

@PilatesLover

Pterygium is abnormal growth and stretching of the skin. It can develop on various parts of the body, including the nails. It is a medical condition consisting of live tissue that should not be cut. If you believe it is present, you should have your physician take a look and determine whether that's what it is, and if anything can/should be done.

I had every intention of responding to your first post, but life happened. Oops. I've been lucky enough to meet online an international expert in the nail/beauty industry. He's spent his life developing products, writing textbooks for both nail techs and medical professionals, serving as a consultant and offering seminars all over the world. I'm totally amazed at how how little knowledge nail techs have regarding anatomy and physiology, the basic chemistry of the products they are using, etc. I don't mean there aren't many very knowledgeable nail techs out there. There definitely are. But the comments I hear supposedly licensed tech making and the comments I read from those who have had issues due to manicures confirms to me that there are also many who are excellent artistically, but are lacking in less glamorous scientific part that maximizes safety.

One common misconception is what exactly the cuticle is. It is frequently confused with the eponychium.The eponychium and hyponichium (under the free edge of the nail) create a seal that helps prevent infection. The true cuticle is between the eponychium and the nail (under the proximal nail fold). As the nail grows, it separates from the eponychium and remains attached to the nail plate. It's fine to gently remove the dead cuticle on the nail surface. However, you do need to be careful not to push back or cut the eponychium so that the seal is broken.

http___www.schoonscientific.com_wp-content_uploads_2017_01_fef5fd63-c9e0-4ff6-85f9-9226d33cee72.jpg

Regarding the Infinite Shine ProStay Primer, near as I can tell, it is a base coat. But a base coat specifically designed for their Infinite Shine (non-light) gel system. Because these gel like systems are a bit different from regular nail polish, I would recommend using the entire system as the brand recommends for the best results.

Trusted Contributor

@juperier Thank you for all that great information and the diagram. I truly appreciate it. Looking at that anatomy diagram I now understand why a steroid injection into the first joint of my left index finger turned into a stubborn MERSA. The bacteria must have gotten under the nail plate. The hand doctor who did the injection was able to get the MERSA under control, but that forefinger had severe pain for months, the throbbing would wake me up in the night. When the pain stopped I began noticing a deep groove at the base.  It took a year for the grooved area to slowly grow out.

Thank you for the advice about the primer. I have been out of the loop so long and didn't realize the the polish companies now have different systems.

Valued Contributor

@PilatesLover  

I have not used the Infinite Shine system either. Do let us know what you think about it.

One polish I have had good luck with is  *Sally Hansen Complete Salon Manicure*  I wear a good base coat and one coat of the color polish and a good  top coat.  One color I really like is  #180  DEBU-TINT. This is a neutral soft candle light gold. I even bought extra bottles.  This complete line indicates it is base/color/topcoat but I still do the usual routine allowing plenty of dry time between coats. I do my nails about once a week.  

I lked the anatomy photo - our nails are growing out from about the first knuckle.

Tell us about your love of Pilates!  I have a floor model *machine* I bought from QVC. My 80yo Aunt had one for years on a stand. Now she is using the Pilates Chair that Susan Lucci was selling on QVC . Her RED! chair takes up less space with smaller footprint.  

Keep Calm and Polish On, 

CAT

Trusted Contributor

@PilatesLover

I'm glad they successfully treated the MERSA infection. It sounds like one of the things that happened was that the matrix of your nail got damaged, luckily not so severely that it wasn't able to heal over time. 

Yes, there always seems to be something new. I'd say one of the big ones are the no-light gel polishes (I tend to call them "gel-like" polishes; but gel has more to do with the consistancy...think of the other products that are "gels"). My understanding is that they're similar to regular polishes, with the addition of ingredients that cure without using a UV/LED lamp. It's been awhile, but I seem to recall that there are are at least a couple of ways they work,,,that's why it's best (and likely safest) to use the products as instructed unless you have enough chemistry knowledge to know how the ingredients in the product you are using work. As far as the gel polishes (as well as hard and soak off gels) that require UV/LED curing, the process is pretty complex and depends on the photoiniators, frequency (wave length) distribution of the lamp, even the color pigments used. Improper application, curing and/or removal are responsible for many (if not most) of the problems users have.

Trusted Contributor

@gacat123@PilatesLover

This is the diagram that Doug came up with fairly recently, working with several other experts, to better clarify what/where the cuticle, eponychium and proximal nail fold are. For further info, here's a link to the artoicle it is part of.

I think I linked this before, but you ladies might find this video regarding the science behind nail polish helpful. It's from the San Francisco Exploritorium. It's aimed at a general audience and, I think, well done. 

Respected Contributor

Latest manicure and pedicure is butter LONDON Lady Muck. It's described as a grayed sky blue with a slight silver shimmer.

Image result for butter london lady muck swatch

Valued Contributor

@lulu1 

Lady Muck polish is beautiful!  

I need to get back into my color polish stash. <G> 

CLEAR has been my easy polish of choice lately.  

Keep Calm and Polish On, 

CAT

Honored Contributor

I got my nails done and went with DND Gel in Peacock Pink.  It's brighter than I would normally go but I was just in the mood for a very summery color.

DND DC Duo Gel Polish – Peacock Pink

Respected Contributor

Mani and pedi yesterday with Julep Luella. They describe it as a Rose Quartz Creme.  To my eyes it's a pale pink with a slight shimmer. (opaque )

Image result for julep luella swatch

Valued Contributor

@lulu1  

PRETTY!  

Thanks for sharing this photo.  I like slight shimmer. <G>

Keep Calm and Polish On, 

CAT