Contributor

Nail polish and condition of nails

Hi, I never used to polish my finger nails but lately I have been and it's made the condition of my nails horrible! Peeling, brittle....Suggestions for products to help..? (I do take biotin already; am looking more for cuticle/nail products...) Thanks in advance!  

Respected Contributor

Re: Nail polish and condition of nails

I had dry brittle nails for years and after listening to many youtubers one struck a cord with me and she had no nails until she started using Nailtiques. I started using  this product followed the directions to the letter and my nails are no longer peeling and are growing. I can't believe it (after having no nails for years) and have tried every nail product on the market. It's too expensive to buy in the stores and drugstores so I got a great deal on e-bay. 4 bottles for $16.00. I now will not be without this product!!

Honored Contributor

I have tried them all and I now swear by Sally Hansen Nail Growth Miracle, gold bottle, gold top.

Honored Contributor

Perfect formula from the q works for me as long as I'm consistent with it.  My problem is I'm not consistent.

Honored Contributor

When I removed my acrylics, I used Nailtiques 2.  Still, I use it every few months as a base coat.  I'm the first to admit, my nails (today) would not be attractive naked.  I've worn polish pretty much non stop for 40+ years.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

If you decide to continue using nail polish, purchase (and bring to the nail salon) 5 free nail polish like Zoya, China Glaze, Deborah Lippmann, Pacifica, and Gabriel (all at least 5 free and cruelty free products).  If you google you can find others and why you should use only 5-free products on your nails.  

Esteemed Contributor

Here's my list of favorites: 

A.S.K. nail conditioning polish remover 

T.I.P.S. cuticle (& nail ) oil

Perfect Formula gel coat (wear alone or as a base/top coat)

Pro Strong nail enamel

My nails get so dry and brittle, split, break, etc. I just couldn't seem to get them back in good shape. This is the line up that worked for me. If you are putting polish on your nails your remover might be adding to the drying and stripping problem. This is the only conditioning remover that I've found that works for me. The cuticle drops also can condition the nails. If you are happy with the results you really don't need nail polish.

Perfect Formula gel coat only requires one coat for a week. I would suggest eithr the clear or the pink gel. I'm not crazy about the color shades that's why I use the Pro Strong line.

Hope one or some of these bring you the results that I have had. 

Honored Contributor

The nail polish and remover are drying your nails.  Any oil or greasy cream rubbed into the cuticles every night before bed will help alleviate the problem. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

Starting with a nourishing base coat is key.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@lulu2 wrote:

When I removed my acrylics, I used Nailtiques 2.  Still, I use it every few months as a base coat.  I'm the first to admit, my nails (today) would not be attractive naked.  I've worn polish pretty much non stop for 40+ years.

Lulu, once again we must be sisters!! I have beautiful, long strong nails, get tons of compliments, but only if tthey are polished, not pretty underneath, my naked nails have all kinds of imperfections on them, white patches and lines and sometimes the white part of the nail even grows funny in that they extend down into the nail bed.  I must always wear opaque polishes or 3 coats of sheer. .