Valued Contributor

Nail and Hair Growth Question

I'm sure I read here within the past week that a poster found some type of powder product she was using with success.  Can anyone help?  I read it quickly and neglected to make note of the name.  I've searched the forum, but haven't located it,                              

Respected Contributor

Re: Nail and Hair Growth Question

Yes, it's called Bulksupplements Pure Bamboo Extract Powder, and it's available on Amazon.  You use a rounded 1/4 tsp. daily in the food or beverage of your choice.

Honored Contributor

FYI, I was interested too so I looked on Amazon. In the Q and A section someone commented that Swanson Vitamins makes the same poroduct in capsule form, take one capsule daily, I would think this would be much easier way to go, gets excellent reviews. Swanson Bamboo Extract Capsules. Some commented the Amazon product is very sandy and gritty, the capsule form would eliminate that.

Respected Contributor

If I remember correctly I thought the 1/4 tsp is equivalent to 600mg of the extract and that would be 2 pills per day.  Does anyone remember for sure?  Thanks

Respected Contributor

1/4 round teaspoon is 600mg.  Assuming the product is the same, the powder in loose form is more economical.  One small bag is less than $14.  I've been using it since mid-March, and I am *maybe* halfway through the bag.  So I would estimate that the small bag would last 6 months.  The two-pack of capsules at 2 capsules a day will last 2 months for $18.  So:

6 months' cost:

Loose powder:  $14

Capsules:  $54

I plan to stick with the powder.  According to my hair stylist, my hair has grown extremely fast, so I know it works.  I don't find it intolerable at all.  I do find that it dissolves more easily in hot beverages.  I put it in my first cup of coffee and keep it stirred in order to keep it dispersed.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Swanson recommends taking 300 mg daily, one capsule, of course if you want 600 mg take 2. Right now they are selling 60 caps for $5.94 per bottle, sounds very reasonable to me, and a lot more convenient than mixing a powder. some on Amazon said it tastes very sandy and gritty and hard to mix. I would rather pay more for caps. Some of the rebate sites now offering 9% back from Swanson.

Respected Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

Swanson recommends taking 300 mg daily, one capsule, of course if you want 600 mg take 2. Right now they are selling 60 caps for $5.94 per bottle, sounds very reasonable to me, and a lot more convenient than mixing a powder. some on Amazon said it tastes very sandy and gritty and hard to mix. I would rather pay more for caps.

I don't see 60 caps for $5.94.  I'm not saying it's not there; I'm saying that I don't see it.  Too bad we can't post links.  If you want to spend more money for a lesser dosage, that is your decision.  I was just pointing out the financial aspect of it.  It is a little gritty, but I don't find it bad at all, and I know the quality is there and that that brand works!  I'm glad there are different delivery methods of this for all of us.  If you want results like @SilleeMee and I experienced, I would stick with 600mg, though.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]
Respected Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

Glad you found it for that price althought there is still shipping.  I thought you had found it on Amazon.  Hope it works for you!

Honored Contributor

Swanson has great discounts and shipping deals if you are a new customer thru RetailMeNot, just google Swanson on that site. I am a long time customer of Swanson, I actually just got an email from them for 25% off making that price down to $5.35 per bottle, free shipping on $50. I may try this at that price and order 6 ,enough to try it for 6 months. I use other things from them so I will easily spend $50 for free shipping. Thanks for the advice.