Honored Contributor

Can Covid 19 live in things like nail polishes, thinking about how to proceed when the salons re open 

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

Re: Nail Salons

[ Edited ]

@I am still oxox    Of course not!  Our salons open Monday.  I have an appointment for a haircut at 1pm.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I would assume that everyone would be bringing in their own implements and polish. I’ve never had a manicure but I would do this under normal circumstances anyway. I would be much more concerned about possible respiratory transmission that comes from being in close proximity of someone for an extended period of time. 

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is inappropriate.

Honored Contributor

@tucsongal wrote:

I would assume that everyone would be bringing in their own implements and polish. I’ve never had a manicure but I would do this under normal circumstances anyway. I would be much more concerned about possible respiratory transmission that comes from being in close proximity of someone for an extended period of time. 

@tucsongal    I think most places are installing those plexiglass shields.  One could certainly ask before making an appointment.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

NPR has a good article that demonstrates how to assess the level of risk.  I guess I can't give the link, but the title of the article is: From Camping To Dining Out: Here's How Experts Rate The Risks Of 14 Summer Activities

It doesn't specifically talk about nails, just haircuts, which is considered medium to high risk.  Then it says why they assessed it that way and describe what alters the risk up or down.    

This is the shorthand from one of the doctors: "We can think of transmission risk with a simple phrase: time, space, people, place," explains Dr. William Miller, an epidemiologist at Ohio State University. 

Here's his rule of thumb: The more time you spend and the closer in space you are to any infected people, the higher your risk. Interacting with more people raises your risk, and indoor places are riskier than outdoors.

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is reposting a previously deleted topic

Valued Contributor

Just read yet another story about a Missouri salon that had 2 stylists cutting peoples hair that tested positive for covid. Now the customers have to quarantine

Remember they opened early and arent requiring masks 

https://www.chicagotribune.com/coronavirus/ct-nw-missouri-hairstylist-great-clips-coronavirus-202005...

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I go to a nail salon that is very clean. They wore masks & sanitized everything prior to Covid.The salon owner called me last week. She said that they will be taking all required precautions when they are allowed to reopen.

They are separating the stations & dividing them with plexiglass. There will also be plexiglass between the technician & client, with a space to put your hands through.All customers will be required to wear a mask. Only people with appointments will be allowed in at the time of their appointment.All stations will be sanitized between customers.

A similar set up will apply to the pedicure chairs.

My nails are a mess & as soon as she can take appointments she said I will be among the first to get one.I can't wait!!

Edited to add that they will be checking customers temperature on arrival & require both the technician & customers to use hand sanitizer.The technician will also wear gloves after using the hand sanitizer.

Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox  I wouldn't worry about the virus living in nail polishes.  Plus if your salon is clean they should be disinfecting tools and chairs between each customer. 

My concern would be sitting face to face with your manicurist as she works on your nails breathing & talking.  Even with a mask the virus can still get through.