Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@tucsongal wrote:

I would assume that everyone would be bringing in their own implements and polish. I’ve never had a manicure but I would do this under normal circumstances anyway. I would be much more concerned about possible respiratory transmission that comes from being in close proximity of someone for an extended period of time. 

@tucsongal    I think most places are installing those plexiglass shields.  One could certainly ask before making an appointment.

—————————

That makes sense, hopefully still with masks. At least that’s one activity I don’t need to worry about LOL.

Honored Contributor

Re: Nail Salons

[ Edited ]

I like to think on the positive side.  Protect yourself.  Mask, hand sanitizer, gloves, if you prefer.  Make sure restrictions are being followed.  Six feet apart and technicians are wearing masks.  If the nail salon is not following restrictions, leave and go somewhere else.

In Naperville, IL opened a nail salon offering pedicures and gel or regular polish.  No acrylics so you don't have to breathe in those awful chemcials.  The salon is very popular. FYI  Two sisters own it -- brilliant idea.

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

When I went to the beauty shop my friend that owns the shop said they have rules from the state board they have to follow. And yes, wearing masks is required.

She has to have a new cap for each customer. She must clean everything after the customer leaves before another can come in to the shop.

I live in Missouri.

I always take my own polish and have for years.

Trusted Contributor

@Katcat1 gloves in manicure shop?

you lost me dear 

34FE0417-04E1-457D-B7CE-3FA24044295E.png

The Supreme Happiness Of Life Consists In The Conviction That One Is Loved.
I come from the beautiful and sunny Athens Greece
Honored Contributor

When this started back in March I read an article that recommended keeping your nails short and unpolished because the virus could live on the edges of chipped polish. 

That was early on, and it was just one recommendation. At that time it seemed like the virus was "floating around" and would land on any surface. That was when everyone was wearing gloves.

So I cut my nails and took my polish off.

I don't believe that any longer, but I do believe in constantly washing hands, which should take the virus off the polished nails. 

Now I think if I do go in eventually to get a pedicure, I will take my own polish and trust them - or I won't go. Where I live it won't be for a while, so that's one thing I won't worry about.

Esteemed Contributor

I for one am looking forward to having my nails done!  Though I am fortunate that they are doing fine but I just love wearing polish and there is nothing like a professional polish job.  I keep my nails short anyway as you are likely to have trapped bacteria under long ones, even if you scrub them often.   Our salons are opening on Monday but I couldn't get an appointment until June 12th.  They are starting with haircuts and color only and will resume mani's and pedi's at a later date. Smiley Sad

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Nail Salons

[ Edited ]

@LindaSal wrote:

I for one am looking forward to having my nails done!  Though I am fortunate that they are doing fine but I just love wearing polish and there is nothing like a professional polish job.  I keep my nails short anyway as you are likely to have trapped bacteria under long ones, even if you scrub them often.   Our salons are opening on Monday but I couldn't get an appointment until June 12th.  They are starting with haircuts and color only and will resume mani's and pedi's at a later date. Smiley Sad

About 12 or so years ago I switched from acrylic to gel fills and polish. Right now my nails are tragic looking. Some still have about a quarter inch of gel still at the tops, some just have pieces here and there at the top that I can't get off. Some I managed to get it all clipped off and the tips of my own nails are like tissue paper and keep bending back. It feels icky.

I realize now that I should ever get laid up for any reason for months or any long period of time I'd have to go through this again. Not going to happen. Once what's left is finally grown off or I can get it picked or clipped off I'm done. I enjoyed having pretty nails but I'm the only one really who cared about how they looked. Now I don't as long as they're going to be neat and clean. I might go for manicures and regular polish but that's it. And a lot of money will be saved too as I had a standing appointment every 3 weeks all those years at approx $45 a visit, a little more or a little less depending on what was done....a little flower on the small nail....a Christmas wreath on one finger of each hand.....stuff like that.

Honored Contributor

@shaggygirl 

I cut off my nails two or three weeks in to the Stay At Home period, I soaked and took off all of my gel polish, I have decided that I will keep my nails shorter than they have been but contuine to polish them, I think they callit active length

I do the dip polish and your nails never touch the powder. 

@shaggygirl wrote:

About 12 or so years ago I switched from acrylic to gel fills and polish. Right now my nails are tragic looking. Some still have about a quarter inch of gel still at the tops, some just have pieces here and there at the top that I can't get off. Some I managed to get it all clipped off and the tips of my own nails are like tissue paper and keep bending back. It feels icky.

I realize now that I should ever get laid up for any reason for months or any long period of time I'd have to go through this again. Not going to happen. Once what's left is finally grown off or I can get it picked or clipped off I'm done. I enjoyed having pretty nails but I'm the only one really who cared about how they looked. Now I don't as long as they're going to be neat and clean. I might go for manicures and regular polish but that's it. 

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Trusted Contributor

I would love to get a pedicure and wear my sandals but I am sure everything will be booked up for quite a while.  I will skip the manicure though, even though I could certainly use one.  I have an appointment for a hair color and cut on June 8 but I am still second thinking that one.  

Honored Contributor

@Dinaki  Gloves for the technicians (clear, lightweight).  I don't think that is strange.  Actually, all the techs giving pedicures wear them.

kindness is strength