Respected Contributor

I've been sorting through things and I notice that some of my nail polishes have separated.  What does that mean?  that they are too old?  Is there anything to do about it? Just shake and use? Add something?  Throw away?  Let me know what you think or what you would do.  thanks.

Honored Contributor

I always toss any that separate.  I stopped with the colored polish a few years ago due to that issue.

These days I'm only wearing sheer pastel and clear polish.

Esteemed Contributor

Shake & use until it become gooey

Salad dressings separate too but i t's not bad.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Re: Nail Polish question

[ Edited ]

Shake and use. I don't think age has much to do with it. I've had it separate a week after purchasing. I just shake and go on. 

Honored Contributor

Shake, and also roll the bottles. If need be add some nail polish THINNER, never add polish remover. I keep bottles for many, many years. 

Honored Contributor

I shake it.  There is also a polish thinner you can purchase that helps with older polish that gets a little too thick.

Honored Contributor

I agree with others - shake and use. I tried the thinner once, but didn't like it, so I won't use that. OPI made one years ago called Maryland Crab. I loved it and wore it all of the time. Finally it became too thick to use and I had to get rid of it. I get very sentimental about my polishes!  Smiley Wink

Respected Contributor

Re: Nail Polish question

[ Edited ]

Thanks everyone for the replies.  Much appreciated. Smiley Happy  @beach-mom @rms1954 @Shelbelle @santorini @fthunt 

The thing is they seem thinner now then they should be - which I don't understand.  Seems watery separated and when I shake and it all comes together it also seems watery and thin.   Not even sure how that would even happen or what it means.  I haven't actually tried any on my nails yet, so not sure if the watery thin consistency will impact in a negative or positive way.  

Editing to say, some of them do seem 'normal' after I shake them, but there are others seem thin!

Honored Contributor

I always shake any that separate.  Never have thrown any away for that reason.

Honored Contributor

It means they are old and you should toss them out.