Honored Contributor

I think Sally Hansen makes a product that is a base and topper in one for nail polish.  Do you know if it's a really good product or do you have one in mind that I could get from Amazon that is better? Thank you

Respected Contributor

Re: Nail Polish Topper And Base

I don't use Sally Hansen, but use L.A. Colors top/base combo. Not sure if it's better or worse than any other.

Honored Contributor

I get a professional manicure now but when I did my own nails I always used Sech Clear & Sech Vite, base & top coat (from Amazon). I bought these many times throughout the years I did my nails. Hope you like it.

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

Londontown Duplex base and topcoat. I purchase it from their website. I've read that you have to be careful about purchasing cosmetics, skincare, etc. on Amazon as they are sometimes not the real product so I try to avoid Amazon for these things.

Honored Contributor

@monicakm wrote:

I think Sally Hansen makes a product that is a base and topper in one for nail polish.  Do you know if it's a really good product or do you have one in mind that I could get from Amazon that is better? Thank you

@monicakm   I've loved this and used it for years. I always look for one and done nail products since my hands are always in water (doing makeup or painting).

There is also a "gel" formula that's wonderful and seems to stay on longer w/o chipping.

Honored Contributor

Nail-Aid®  has formulas for every need.   Used it for as long as I can remember.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Poshe is the best top coat ever, I would never use anything else. but, for a base coat I prefer something that also acts as a nail fortifier and strengthener.  Sally Hansen works just as well as others I have used.  I often also use my nail strengthener over my polish then use Poshe over that. 

Regular Contributor

@monicakm   Short answer is Sally Hanson products are so readily availble and fairly inexpensive, so why not buy a bottle and see how it works for you?

Like other beauty products, not evey product works with everyone's body chemistry. Of course, your manicuring skills come in to play. But some products/combinations of products simply work better.

Base coat is formulated to adhere to the nail plate and provide a surface for nail polish to adhere to. Top coat is formulated to adhere to polish, seal it, and (in most cases) give a glossy surface.

Both have many variations to address specific needs. I just tend to grab one at random, either regular or "sticky." I avoid "treatment" base coats since most of them contain hardeners, the last thing my dry, brittle nails need. I may choose a ridge filler or a blurring base ooat depending on what polish I plan to apply. Or I may apply 2 coats if the polish is potentially a "stainer." My nails don't tend to stain (except for a some random pink (neon?) pigment that has left me swearing upon removal a couple of times), so I don't bother with a specail base coat for this purpose.

For top coat my primary requirement is that it be quick drying, preferably the ones that dry super, super fast since I seem to have less problem with small amounts of color being removed by the brush and clouding up the bottle. But, once again, I choose randomly. Depending on the polish I'm wearing I may apply a "glitter grabber" or one designed for magenetic polishes first, followed by qdtc (quick dry top coat). A matte top coat would be applied on top of qdtc if I want that effect (and, yes, different brands give a slightly different matte effect). While I do have both drops and spray that speed up the drying process. it seldom even occurs to me to use them. 

I haven't paid much attention to what specific brands work best for me. For most of the years since I got into polish (10 at this point), I changed polish almost daily, so lingevity wasn't really an issue. 

Regular Contributor

@Janey2  Yes, there are "fake" products (of all types) sold on Amazon (and Ebay), as well as "legit" products from "quiestionable" sources. I typically look for items being sold AND shipped by Amazon. For third party sellers I do a bit more research. Lots of very legit companies sell on Amazon (according to one, it gives them the ability to get product from unauthorized sellers more easily removed).

Concerns I would have with products I know have been discontinued is that while the product may be "legit" as far as manufacturer goes, how has it been stored, have the ingredients lost effectiveness, etc? Of course, both discontinued and very popular current items could be totally fake, in which case they could also contain different ingredients, or ratios of ingredients.

Bottom line is that I've bought many, many items in all categories from Amazon and feel very comfortable that I've always received exactly what I ordered, in fine condition (well, excluding damage during shipment due to poor packaging).

Honored Contributor

Agree, I buy most all my cosmetics and beauty items on ebay, more than amazon, I also feel confident in what I receive as being the real deal.