Honored Contributor

Re: Nail Polish Topper And Base

@monicakm wrote:

@Shelbelle 

I've bought many many beauty and skincare products from eBay.  I make sure the seller has a positive rating of 99.7+%, LOTS of sales and how long they've been selling as guidelines on who to buy from.  Also, I've contacted sellers to photograph expiration dates/manufacture dates.  I've been stung once.  eBay stepped in and made it right.

I totally agree, ebay always intervenes when necessary so there is no loss to a customer. Been an avid ebay buyer since 2004 uith very few issues, and when there have been I always come out just fine. It is my go to dept store!! buy lots more there than on amazon. 

Regular Contributor

@411 13 1 5   Thank you again for your kind words.

I get the going from zero to all in on something. I just feel very lucky that I saw the types of problems that can occur when use of nail products goes wrong. My curiosity led me to take a deep dive into what had gone wrong, which led to finding experts in the field that demonstrated they had the knowledge and could be trusted. Everything in life involves risks. But I feel it's advantageous to gain at least some knowledge of what they are, and perhaps take steps to mitagate some of the more severe ones.

I didn't even begin to explore using gel until I had the skill level to polish my nails with minimal skin contact with product AND I could identify a product line available to the DIYer that I trusted to be well formulated. From there it's a matter following the proper steps and gaining experience.

There's SO many more options with regular polish. Regular polish dries via evaporation, while gel products depend on chemical reactions. An ingredient that can be relatively safely included in a regular polish, can be riskier to use in gel products because it affects the chemical reaction necessary for gel to properly cure. (Acrylic has its own set of isuses also. For me, the smell of the monomer takes away any incentive to us it.)

I do have to ask what your goal is with any polishes you keep/purchase in the future? Do you just want to look at them, or actually wear them? Either is fine. But if you want to wear them, then you can likely give up the bulk of your backups. There will always be new pretties to buy. Some of my favorites have been ones I didn't even expect to like.

Also, what's with thinning polishes? You say you like highly pigmented colors. So why not enjoy them as they were intended? If you prefer a sheer look, there are tons of polishes designed to give that look.

Regular Contributor

@monicakm  Your husband my be right...or at least one of the products may be incompatible with your body chemistry...or it could just be a fluke.

With regular polish you shouldn't need to "rough up" the nail surface like you do with gel/acrylic. You will want to push back the cuticle area and remove cuticle or protean growth on your nails. Make sure your nails are dry. Washing your hands is ok, mandatory if you've applied cuticle remover (I'd still allow a brief period before before applying your base coat). Wipe your nails with a pad with isopropyl alcohol (higher percentage is better) and/or 100% acetone. Avoid contact of the base/polish/top with your skin. Wrap you tips. Clean up zny booboos with a clean up brush, or a cuticle stick.

As far a scetone is ocncerned, I've read on multiple reliable sources over the years to purchase acetone specifically designed for nail use. There will always be a small amount of contaminents, which are potentially different depending on what use it is designed for. Also, don't substitute acetone-based nail polish remover. You're tryng to remove oils and water from the nail surface. Removers contain other ingredients that will defeat this purpose.

Honored Contributor

@juperier3 

Thank you.  I think the polish remover I have is acetone.  I do wash my hands first but the alcohol suggestion is a good one.  I don't seem to have cuticles lol  OK, I DO but they have never had to be pushed back with that stick thingy for cuticles.  I can't even see them.  Probably something lacking in my diet.

Valued Contributor

@Witchy Woman , I haven't. I just ordered their remover and polish to try. The sale goes until April 30. I did go on their website and read reviews, it seems to be a good brand.

When Mineral Fusion was selling, I got their remover and polish as well. I didn't know if it would be any good but I wanted to test it. I applied same as always, 3 thin layers of polish and top coat. It wore well for me, I changed on 9th day, with wear but no chips. The remover is very good and not too harsh. I am using Seche Vite top coat, though as it strengthens my nails. Once I use a bottle, I'll use a bottle of something else because they'll get too hard with prolonged use, then I use as needed to keep them strong. Mine will peel if I don't use something. 

I'm going to get some of the Karma Naturals base and top coats to try. I look for it to be good as well. The remover gets great reviews. These are good prices to try out a new brand, and I haven't been disappointed yet these brands.

Valued Contributor

@Witchy Woman if you haven't tried it, I'd also recommend CND Solar Oil for your nails and cuticles. Just brush it on and massage it in, with or without polish, it works. It comes in a 0.125 fl oz trial size so you can try it before getting a full size. If someone doesn't use a lot, the small bottle is better so you can keep it fresher. It's very easy to find.

Deborah Lippmann has good cuticle cream, and I use it sometimes. I'm betting Londontown's is good as well and I will try it when I need more.

I would recommend Solar Oil for everyone. Tips and toes. Easy to use, and effective. 

Screenshot_20230426-104917_Chrome.jpg

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

CND Solar Oil has been around forever, good product. 

Esteemed Contributor

@SnowOwl79 

Thanks for the recommendations.  I will give them a try.

My fingernails are kept short and I cut them regularly.  However, they still require maintenance as do my toes. 

I try to get regular pedicures because it is just easier than doing it myself.  Without polishing, I can easily use the oils products.

Valued Contributor

@Witchy Woman , oils can be used with polish as well. It's brushed on like you do with polish. Then massage in, only takes a minute. Use once daily at bedtime. 

The Solar Oil has had a cult following for many years with good reason, it works. It isn't like other oils that sit there not really doing anything. You'll immediately see an improvement, especially on dry and rough areas. 

Esteemed Contributor

@SnowOwl79 

I think I used it long ago, but cannot remember now.

My experience tells me my nails are super sensitive to any polish, so if I'm going to try that again, I've got to try something that has fewer chemicals.