Esteemed Contributor

Quick question:   could it be my nail polish remover that is causing my nails to crack and peel?   My nail problems go away, then come back with a vengence, over and over.  All the "nail repair" polishes that I use are sometimes difficult to remove and I really have to scrub my nails with my remover-soaked cotton ball to get all the polish off.   

Thoughts?  Opinions?

What brands of polish remover do you ladies recommend?  I always buy what's convenient.

Thank you.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Esteemed Contributor

Yes, it could be part of the problem.  IF you use gel polish you need a special gel remover (drug store has it).  If you use regular polish any one of many should remove easily - no scrubbing at all.  Read the labels because some removers are more harsh than others - look for gentle or states 'not drying'.  Over use of water can add to problem.

Trusted Contributor

I have found that my nails are in better shape when I use better nail polish remover.  I have used the OPI remover with good results.  Also I have one from the drug store as well (sorry I can't remember the name).  I don't go with the cheapest.  I do read the label to make sure it works for the nail polish I am using and the conditions of my nails.  There are some polishes that are more difficult to get off than others.

When I used the cheap remover, strips of my nails would come off and they would flake all the time.  Now they are in good shape.

Honored Contributor

Nail polish remover is very harsh on your nails.  Most of it is usually pure acetone which is used on natural nails.  There,is another type made for artificial nails that does not contain acetone, which would melt plastic.

Some of today's new polishes, especially gel polish needs a special remover made just for that purpose.  They work faster and more efficient than acetone.

It is helpful to soak your nails in oil that is warm.  Olive oil is great for that purpose.  Wear gloves when doing the dishes and try to keep your nails out of the water.

Respected Contributor

Gave up acrylic nails many years ago when I saw how they separated and were hard to clean.

After retiring, I started to use regular nail polish but my nails started to ridge and flake.  I know aging is part of the problem; however, I used a healing cream that I read about on these forums.  Used it before I went to bed and the next AM.  My nails really looked great.

The ridges were still there.  I applied the Sally Hansen “ 7 in 1 “ complete nail treatment which creates a sheer, glossy finish.  It only lasts a few days but the nails look great.  It is most helpful when there is a tiny nick on the nail edge:  it reinforces it and keeps it from ripping off.

The treatment is expensive but with a CVS coupon used, it is reasonable for the results.  Comes off very easily with just a swipe.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

I only use clear nail polish when I wear it.

I use Josie's BearNaked nail Wipes. Seems to keep my nails from getting so dry like after using regular nail polish remover.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks everyone.   Are there any brands that you suggest other than the OPI? (which I'll look for)   I currently have something called "SoundBody" with vitamin E -- a Walmart brand.  Like I said, I always buy what's handy.  Maybe I need something more upscale.  I don't use gel polish and have natural nails.  I always use clear polish.  The top layer of my nails peel.  It might be an age thing since I never had this problem till after I turned 60.

I'll also look for Sally Hansen "7 in 1" -- currently use Sally Hansen "Hard As Nails."

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

I no longer wear nail polish and my nails look and feel great. I don’t even use clear. 

I love polish but no longer for me. My toenails are no longer yellowish.

Honored Contributor

Re: Nail Polish Remover?

[ Edited ]

@tototwo................I dont know your age but I have found mine nails, including toenails, have gotten very brittle, split, crack and break easily.  If I bump something with my toes (not that hard either)  they will chip or break.

Like it or not its age related.  Im 73 and its been going on for about 4 years now.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Esteemed Contributor

You're probably right, @Imaoldhippie.   

(I'm 69 and I'm an old hippie too so always smile when I see your nic)

- Eleanor Roosevelt