Trusted Contributor

Re: ~ NOTW ~ (Nail of The Week!)

Love your nails per usual. This looks like one even I could accomplish. I have worker (as in yard work) hands and try to stay very neutral to not draw too much attention to them. I do like my hands better with polish on my nails though. Don't come to Tucson to find Cafe Terra Cotta....closed down here to a couple years back. Too bad as their food was so good. Loved their tortilla soup. Everyone makes it but for me theirs was perfect. So look forward to your posting every Saturday.
Super Contributor

On 6/21/2014 Cat From TN said:
On 6/21/2014 WhateverLolaWants said:
On 6/21/2014 Cat From TN said:

Have you ever done the "ombre" effect on your nails? I just saw this recently and it's gorgeous! If so, how is it done?

Hi Cat From TN, yes, that ombré effect is so pretty, isn't it? Here's one I posted awhile back.

http://oi61.tinypic.com/359z58p.jpg

There are variations on the technique posted on various You Tube videos, most all involve using a fine-textured sponge (like a make-up application wedge) -- inexpensive and disposable. I also like using a disposable sponge-tipped eye shadow applicator. You can use a piece of aluminum foil, paper plate, etc., apply stripes of colors of polish (recommend using two, not more than three colors) on the foil close to but not touching each other, you can slightly swirl the borders of the colors together with a toothpick. Dab the tapered edge of the sponge into the colors then dab the sponge onto the nail (which has been prepped with a light color polish so the gradations will show up). Don't worry about "coloring outside the lines" -- you have to to get good coverage, and you clean that up later as I described to sugarina in post #8 on this thread.

Have fun and let me know how it goes, ok?

Wow - that's beautiful! I wish I had the patience and talent to do something like that!

Thanks, Cat From TN, I'm not so much patient as goal-oriented, LOL. It's more like, I'll do what it takes to get what I want?

Lola
Super Contributor

On 6/21/2014 Sadiesadie said: Love your nails per usual. This looks like one even I could accomplish. I have worker (as in yard work) hands and try to stay very neutral to not draw too much attention to them. I do like my hands better with polish on my nails though. Don't come to Tucson to find Cafe Terra Cotta....closed down here to a couple years back. Too bad as their food was so good. Loved their tortilla soup. Everyone makes it but for me theirs was perfect. So look forward to your posting every Saturday.

Hi Sadiesadie, oh, what devastatingly sad news about Café Terra Cotta! Do you have their cookbook? I find the recipes I make from it come out exactly as served in the restaurant (just takes a lot longer than placing your order and eating it in 20 minutes!)

I freely admit I don't do nearly as much yard work as I used to, but I DID do some rose dead-heading this week and have the wounds (but no polish chips!) to show for it, despite wearing my suede gauntlet gloves.

Glad to hear you're a fan of NOTW too!

Lola
Contributor

Lola, LOVE this week's NOTW. I look forward to seeing what you create-it's fun! THANKS.

I just received Julep's Coretta, experimenting with it for a possible MOTB polish for July. So easy to apply; goof proof. I also just tried opi's Funny Bunny. Trying to find a good wedding color. The new whites remind me of the pearl and frosted colors for nails and lips that used in the late 60's {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

Does anyone know what color Jill Bauer wears? It seems like an opaque pink/beige.

Super Contributor

On 6/21/2014 leeni said:

Lola, LOVE this week's NOTW. I look forward to seeing what you create-it's fun! THANKS.

I just received Julep's Coretta, experimenting with it for a possible MOTB polish for July. So easy to apply; goof proof. I also just tried opi's Funny Bunny. Trying to find a good wedding color. The new whites remind me of the pearl and frosted colors for nails and lips that used in the late 60's {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

Does anyone know what color Jill Bauer wears? It seems like an opaque pink/beige.

Hi leeni, and welcome to NOTW to you too! "Coretta" is lovely -- one of my favorite categories -- sort of reminds me of OPI "Solitaire". Oh, you took me back -- that white lip stick!! Was it the late 60's or the early 60's?

I can't answer your Jill's polish question, but from other threads, I think she usually wears a gel polish, and if you're on Facebook, she'll answer you there.

Lola
Contributor

Lola, Thank-you for the warm welcome. I found out very fast how to remove my mani & pedi with the glitter top coat. I use Swisspers Jumbo Plus Cotton Balls with Cutex Strengthening Remover. Let us know how the OPI base coat works for you. Thru the years I've changed using different brands. I luved YSL for many years. I luved Seche Vite for many years. Now I just luv the brush that comes with Sally Hansen polish. I LQQK forward to your gorgeous mani each week.Another reason I like a fast drying polish is, becuz I do my mani & pedi each week. Also the glitter top coat stops the polish from chipping.That's the reason I've been using glitter for sOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO many years. There were years I had a hard time buying glitter polish. But now glitter polish is everywhere.{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Super Contributor

On 6/21/2014 matchpoint said:

Lola, Thank-you for the warm welcome. I found out very fast how to remove my mani & pedi with the glitter top coat. I use Swisspers Jumbo Plus Cotton Balls with Cutex Strengthening Remover. Let us know how the OPI base coat works for you. Thru the years I've changed using different brands. I luved YSL for many years. I luved Seche Vite for many years. Now I just luv the brush that comes with Sally Hansen polish. I LQQK forward to your gorgeous mani each week.Another reason I like a fast drying polish is, becuz I do my mani & pedi each week. Also the glitter top coat stops the polish fron chipping.That's the reason I've been using glitter for sOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO many years. There were years I had a hard time buying glitter polish. But now glitter polish is everywhere.{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

I use glitter more often since finding the "finger protector" removal method. (Never had much luck with the foil soak-off method.) I bought a box of the rubber finger protectors from Staples ($2.50) and cut two jumbo cotton balls into ten pieces, moisten with pure acetone, put one on each nail, cover with a finger protector, and wait 5 min. Then I use a clean Swisspers to swipe off the cotton ball and have very little glitter-scatter to clean up. Still, more labor-intensive than removing plain polish.

You're right, glitter polish is much more widely available these days. I don't think it's going away anytime soon!

Lola
Contributor

Lola, That is priceless how U remove the glitter polish!!!!!!!!!!! Years back I would never think of buying nail polish or other cosmetics in a drugstore.I always bought my nail polish & cosmetics in a Department Store. One day waiting in line to pay in a drugstore I picked-up a nail polish which changed my buying for nail polish.The Cutex remover with the Swisspers takes off my one coat of Sally Hansen & glitter polish within minutes. I'm still trying to find a good basecoat. I'm using the Pink Gel coat now for two weeks.But will not buy it again.Not worth the money.I've tried so many basecoats & just have not found the right one.My nails are definitely not the nails I had when I was younger. But I always had a mani in the beauty parlor when I was having my hair done.I always did my own pedi; just becuz I like how I do my pedi. Now I do both my mani & pedi. But still go to the Beauty Parlor.{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}I make paragraphs but for s{#emotions_dlg.angry}ome reason when I post they go away.

Super Contributor

On 6/21/2014 matchpoint said:

Lola, That is priceless how U remove the glitter polish!!!!!!!!!!! Years back I would never think of buying nail polish or other cosmetics in a drugstore.I always bought my nail polish & cosmetics in a Department Store. One day waiting in line to pay in a drugstore I picked-up a nail polish which changed my buying for nail polish.The Cutex remover with the Swisspers takes off my one coat of Sally Hansen & glitter polish within minutes. I'm still trying to find a good basecoat. I'm using the Pink Gel coat now for two weeks.But will not buy it again.Not worth the money.I've tried so many basecoats & just have not found the right one.My nails are definitely not the nails I had when I was younger. But I always had a mani in the beauty parlor when I was having my hair done.I always did my own pedi; just becuz I like how I do my pedi. Now I do both my mani & pedi. But still go to the Beauty Parlor.{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

I agree, matchpoint, I'm always torn between the spa experience of pampering and relaxation, or doing it myself to use the products and have the nail art result I want. Funny, my nails are now the best I've ever had in my life and I've struggled with then up until the last 5 years -- I feel like I've finally found the right combination of products for my nails (after trying them ALL). I've just gotten too wary of nail salon pedi disaster stories to enjoy that any more, so I do it myself. Also like my pedi nail art better, if I choose to do that, and it's got to be as good as a Yoga class for stretching! LOL.

I have never been able to cut my hair myself as well as a stylist, but I can sure color and high-light it as well or better! I'm going to a new stylist on Tuesday (got his name by asking a local TV newscaster who cut her hair!), so we shall see ...

I'm probably a bit of a nail polish "snob" myself, but I thought this week's mani with lower price point polishes turned out quite nicely.

Lola
Super Contributor

Hi Lola love the mani. Stepped out of my box today & sporting a new color from Deborah Lippmann's 80's retro color called ""she's driving me crazy"" a deep blueish green with white flowers & yellow centers on the ring fingers. Can't help with dinner we have that problem every night I think its an empty nest thing. Have a great weekend.