Super Contributor

Re: ~ NOTW ~ (Nail of The Week!)

On 7/27/2014 Christine16 said:

I noticed you were not here what seemed like a long time (sorry I didnt post a message) but I do love to look you up weekly. I love your mani's and this one is as equally pretty as the rest. Its such a beautiful subtle look and I thank you for sharing your tips and your mani's with us!! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Thanks, Christine, what a nice post! Although I only skipped once, last week, this board does move along and posts get buried quickly! I'm happy to share my efforts with you and I'm glad to know you enjoy NOTW.

Lola
Honored Contributor

Very pretty...I was just thinking that I wanted to have a pink shade on my nails this week and you have given me a great example of what I would like.

I have been getting blues and aquas for most of the Summer ..now I will move on to pinks and oranges. I do this every Summer

Super Contributor

On 7/27/2014 DREAMON said:

Very pretty...I was just thinking that I wanted to have a pink shade on my nails this week and you have given me a great example of what I would like.

I have been getting blues and aquas for most of the Summer ..now I will move on to pinks and oranges. I do this every SummerSmile

I like that idea, DREAMON -- sort of like a temperature spectrum warming up as the summer progresses? I don't think I have a set color pattern, other than telling myself "no" when I think about doing a mani that's obviously out of season. For instance, I thought the color in this week's mani, "Frosty", might imply winter-only, but I decided not, mainly because I like a pearly white year 'round. Just curious, does your manicurist take "an amateur's mani" suggestions graciously? LOL.

We have a thunderstorm with nice rain directly overhead right now. It's dark, cool, and I'm boiling artichokes for dinner {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}.

Lola
Honored Contributor

Lola,
All the manicurists that work where I have my nails done are very gracious to every suggestion that I have brought their way. Sometimes they do suggest a color different than what I have chosen just because it covers better etc.
We have had thunderstorms all weekend on and off too.
I love artichokes!!!! Enjoy!!!
Honored Contributor

On 7/26/2014 patheticcosmetics said:

Hi Lola,

Since I'm hot today my first reaction was ooh, so cool & refreshing looking. Then, Good Humor Strawberry Shortcake ice cream bar [don't ask] & a Victorian Christmas ornament.

Very pretty, delicate, & dressy.

This is funny because I had the same reaction. The ornament makes sense because the colors and textures work, but there's really no logical explanation for the Good Humor bar. But that's what popped into my head, too.

Should we be seeing a professional about this?

(Blue Bunny makes this one.)

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Trusted Contributor

Lola, I love seeing your looks each week! I am curious though, how much time do you usually devote to your mani's? I find I do not plan enough time and end up smudging an "almost" dry nail. Grrr
Highlighted
Super Contributor

On 7/29/2014 just bee said:

Hi Lola,

Since I'm hot today my first reaction was ooh, so cool & refreshing looking. Then, Good Humor Strawberry Shortcake ice cream bar [don't ask] & a Victorian Christmas ornament.

This is funny because I had the same reaction. The ornament makes sense because the colors and textures work, but there's really no logical explanation for the Good Humor bar. But that's what popped into my head, too.

Hi just bee, I was wondering if everything was OK with you since I didn't "see" you here over the weekend. Funny, I rarely stray from the Chocolate / Vanilla in ice cream bar choices -- that one you pictured is pretty elaborate looking! "So, Doctor, I see ice cream bars when I look at manicures ... can you help me?" {#emotions_dlg.lol}

Lola
Honored Contributor

On 7/29/2014 WhateverLolaWants said:
On 7/29/2014 just bee said:

Hi Lola,

Hi just bee, I was wondering if everything was OK with you since I didn't "see" you here over the weekend. Funny, I rarely stray from the Chocolate / Vanilla in ice cream bar choices -- that one you pictured is pretty elaborate looking! "So, Doctor, I see ice cream bars when I look at manicures ... can you help me?" {#emotions_dlg.lol}

Hmmmm. I work with psychiatrists... maybe I'll bring it up one day. I missed your new thread because I worked a long stretch this week and stayed off the computer for a few days. But I had to giggle when I saw patheticcosmetics' post. Separated at birth? {#emotions_dlg.blink}

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Valued Contributor

This is a delightful mani. I like the varying placements of the glitter, as well as the color choices. I hope to see a fall version of this very appealing design.

Cyn

Super Contributor

On 7/29/2014 Jeannie29 said: Lola, I love seeing your looks each week! I am curious though, how much time do you usually devote to your mani's? I find I do not plan enough time and end up smudging an "almost" dry nail. Grrr

Well Hello, Jeannie29, and welcome to NOTW! This is your first time to post on the thread, right? I'm happy to hear you're a regular follower -- I sometimes "wonder" who all the viewers are who don't post.

I spend about an hour to an hour and a half, depending on the elaborateness of the nail art on my manicures, usually Saturday afternoon or Sunday evening. It's very pleasant "me time" in my bathroom, playing the music I love on my iPod or listening to an audio book while I do prep and polish.

Now, I'm going to change your life! You may have noticed I mention using Seche Vite top coat every week. Seche Vite is French for "fast drying" and believe me, it IS! The shine is also fabulous. I learned about it reading various nail blogs and it is used exclusively by the majority of nail bloggers and I haven't dinged a manicure since! It is available at Sally Beauty, Ulta, and online. It is meant to be applied over wet polish, immediately after your last coat of color polish. (I avoided using fast-dry top coats for years, assuming it would cause bubbling -- it doesn't!) To keep it at its original consistency, you should also use Seche Vite's proprietary thinner, "Restore", which you may have to look a little harder for (I don't use regular nail polish thinner for this because it doesn't have the same formula as regular nail polish.)

Using S.V. allows me to move on to the next step of doing nail art over the base color much faster -- in about 10 minutes, vs. 2 hrs. See what I mean about "changing your life"??

If you wish to apply another coat of Seche Vite on another day over already-dried polish, you should apply another color coat of polish or non-fast-drying top coat first to avoid possible "shrinkage" of your polish (cracking along the sides), although to be fair, I've only experienced this once or twice in all my years of using it. Also, be sure to "wrap the tip" with base coat, color polish, and S.V. to really prolong the life of your polish -- this means to run the brush across the filed edge of your nail.

If you try it, let me know what you think, OK? (You can thank me then {#emotions_dlg.thumbup})

Lola