Super Contributor

Re: ~ NOTW ~ (Nail of The Week!)

On 7/5/2014 Andreatoo said: hey Lola happy 4th! These are my favorite so far! Love them both. BTW do you know if they still make those nail menders? I had a nail crack way down in the middle ouch and eventually hit it on something and it broke off halfway down my nail! I recall years ago there was a product that was like little cotton fabric strips that you could apply to a crack and then paint over it with a substance and it would seal it long enough to grow out but I haven't seen it lately

Hi Andreatoo, I'm so glad these mani's are a new favorite for you.

Here is my favorite nail mender ("wrap") kit which I have used for years from Sally Beauty:

http://www.sallybeauty.com/asp-wrap-kit/SBS-156388,default,pd.html#q=asp+nail+wrap&start=1

You get everything you need in the kit -- choice of silk or fiberglass fabric (I used only silk for years, but now I favor the fiberglass) glue, setting spray. If you use non-acetone polish remover, you can usually keep the wrap until the break has grown out. I don't sand the nail before application as the directions state anymore and it works just fine and you won't have any ridges to deal with later.

HTH!

Lola
Honored Contributor

On 7/5/2014 WhateverLolaWants

Hi DREAMON, I was thinking about you when I was watching the coverage of Arthur on the news. I'm sure you cringe whenever you hear the word "hurricane" now, after Sandy! Glad things could just be moved to tonight for your celebrations.

Well Happy Anniversary to both of us! I like Hall and Oates too ("are they still alive?" LOL).

Lola, Yes they are still VERY ALIVE! I saw them in 1978 and they were much better this time..... 35 years later. Some things really do get better with age....not many things just a few in realityWink!!!

Super Contributor

On 7/5/2014 elruth said:
I went to CVS and asked this same question. The lady said she didn't think those nail menders were even made anymore. I looked online and found this info. I have a split toenail ( big toe ) and this worked well! Put some nail glue on the nail where it is split. I just used Elmer's. Let dry. Cut a small piece of toilet paper 1 ply ( just pulled off my 2 ply to make 1 ply) so it covers the split. Usually I cut just a very small rectangle. Put glue on the reverse side and put it on the nail. Let dry and then cover with a clear top coat of polish. Also could use clear basecoat.

Let dry and then use colored nail polish. Mine looks great and has held for well over a week so far.

On 7/5/2014 Andreatoo said: hey Lola happy 4th! These are my favorite so far! Love them both. BTW do you know if they still make those nail menders? I had a nail crack way down in the middle ouch and eventually hit it on something and it broke off halfway down my nail! I recall years ago there was a product that was like little cotton fabric strips that you could apply to a crack and then paint over it with a substance and it would seal it long enough to grow out but I haven't seen it lately

Hi elruth, and welcome to NOTW! Another idea for nail patch material is a piece of a tea bag. I think you'll have better luck overall using the nail glue in the wrap kit I linked in post #30 though instead of Elmer's.

Lola
Super Contributor

On 7/5/2014 DREAMON said:
On 7/5/2014 WhateverLolaWants

Hi DREAMON, I was thinking about you when I was watching the coverage of Arthur on the news. I'm sure you cringe whenever you hear the word "hurricane" now, after Sandy! Glad things could just be moved to tonight for your celebrations.

Well Happy Anniversary to both of us! I like Hall and Oates too ("are they still alive?" LOL).

Lola, Yes they are still VERY ALIVE! I saw them in 1978 and they were much better this time..... 35 years later. Some things really do get better with age....not many things just a few in realityWink!!!

I knew that, I was just kidding with you! I've seen much older groups which are still touring and although unrecognizable from their heydays, still sounding great. Boy, you got that right -- after 40, it's patch, patch, patch ...

Lola
Honored Contributor

On 6/29/2014 WhateverLolaWants said:
ETA: I neglected to answer your question about the nail files I use. I love these, and of course they are available in "plain" versions, but given a choice, I'll always choose "pretty"!
http://www.czech-glass-nail-files.com/12-swarovski-glass-nail-files.php

Lola I hope it's ok that I copied your reply to Matchbox's answer about files from last week's thread. I went back searching for it after I saw her post above.
Hi Matchbox. Thank you for asking Lola about nail files.
Lola, what a great site. I loved your "I'll always choose "pretty" reply. It sounds exactly like something I would say and do. After your reply to me a couple of months ago about metal files, I went on my own search and ended up with this one. I am going back to the site and read about the differences/similarities with the crystal and glass files. As always, you get me thinking. Thank you for always being so generous with your knowledge and resources.
~~~"Patience is the power to do nothing when doing something won't do anything but make everything worse"~~~
Honored Contributor

On 7/5/2014 WhateverLolaWants said:

Here is my favorite nail mender ("wrap") kit which I have used for years from Sally Beauty:

http://www.sallybeauty.com/asp-wrap-kit/SBS-156388,default,pd.html#q=asp+nail+wrap&start=1

You get everything you need in the kit -- choice of silk or fiberglass fabric (I used only silk for years, but now I favor the fiberglass) glue, setting spray. If you use non-acetone polish remover, you can usually keep the wrap until the break has grown out. I don't sand the nail before application as the directions state anymore and it works just fine and you won't have any ridges to deal with later.

HTH!

thanks for your help as always :-)I will definitely buy one of those to have on hand because boy did this hurt when it broke! Oh for the days when you could buy in the drugstore
Super Contributor

On 7/5/2014 Andreatoo said:
On 7/5/2014 WhateverLolaWants said:

HTH!

thanks for your help as always :-)I will definitely buy one of those to have on hand because boy did this hurt when it broke! Oh for the days when you could buy in the drugstore

You're welcome, Andreatoo. Almost every time I go shopping in a BM store for a specific item, I come home and have to order online, and I'm afraid that's going to be the trend going forward. :-(

ETA: Oh, one hint to extend the life of the nail glue in the wrap kit (took me a long time to figure out why the brush was hardening!). When you apply the nail glue (you'll apply several coats in the process), and spray with the setting spray, when you brush on the next coat of nail glue, the brush will also be picking up setting spray, which causes the brush to get hard. My solution is to work on a double-thickness of paper towel and after each coat of glue, put the brush on the paper towel, fold over a corner and wipe the brush before putting it back into the bottle of nail glue. This will save you having to buy new bottles of nail glue all the time.

Lola
Super Contributor

On 7/5/2014 Tique said:
On 6/29/2014 WhateverLolaWants said:
ETA: I neglected to answer your question about the nail files I use. I love these, and of course they are available in "plain" versions, but given a choice, I'll always choose "pretty"!
http://www.czech-glass-nail-files.com/12-swarovski-glass-nail-files.php

Lola I hope it's ok that I copied your reply to Matchbox's answer about files from last week's thread. I went back searching for it after I saw her post above.
Hi Matchbox. Thank you for asking Lola about nail files.
Lola, what a great site. I loved your "I'll always choose "pretty" reply. It sounds exactly like something I would say and do. After your reply to me a couple of months ago about metal files, I went on my own search and ended up with this one. I am going back to the site and read about the differences/similarities with the crystal and glass files. As always, you get me thinking. Thank you for always being so generous with your knowledge and resources.

Well those ASP files (same brand as the nail wrap kit I linked) are a very interesting shape, aren't they? I've never seen any other files shaped like them. The point is that glass files are exceptionally gentle and don't tear, but rather, "seal" the nail edge -- you can even file between manicures without chipping your polish. When I did my research on glass files, most nail bloggers seemed to agree that Mont Bleu were the best, longest-lasting, and prettiest, so I just ordered several. I do have a couple of other brands, and I would agree with them, I prefer MB.

Oh, let's correct "Matchbox" -- her screen name is matchpoint (a tennis term). :-)

Lola
Super Contributor

Hi Lola,

Both are great, but I am partial to the patriotic one this week! Love that peach shade.

Today was the first time in two weeks I polished my nails. I gave them a chance to breathe and they seem to be stronger. I actually do better without treatments I think. I'm wearing the shade "Alive" by Formula 2.

I received my three plates from MoYou and I thought I was ordering one of the Punk plates with the plaid image but I didn't, so that was a disappointment for me. Love the Rio plate and the Tokyo plate is ok and I could have done without since I have many Suki plates and love those.

Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Lola, thanks for correcting me.

Matchpoint, sorry for my error.

~~~"Patience is the power to do nothing when doing something won't do anything but make everything worse"~~~