Honored Contributor

Be aware that PURITY will not remove SPF. Yes, makeup, but that's it. To completely clear sunscreen out of pores, you're better of with an oily cleanser and then if you want, use the Purity afterwards. Cleansers that suds usually also have some type of sulfates (just like shampoo).

Respected Contributor

thanks for the info @Shanus .  Appreciate knowledge sharing.

If my dog doesn't like you, neither do I.
Esteemed Contributor

I can believe that.  I found Purity to be one of the worst cleansers I had ever used.  I always felt like there was a film on my face after cleansing.  

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

Be aware that PURITY will not remove SPF. Yes, makeup, but that's it. To completely clear sunscreen out of pores, you're better of with an oily cleanser and then if you want, use the Purity afterwards. Cleansers that suds usually also have some type of sulfates (just like shampoo).

Did you know Greta Garbo used the Erno Laszlo method, which we know starts with the oil cleanser. In "Four Fabulous Faces," it's reported that she even asked for sink cleanser(to clean the sink in preparation for all the splashing) and olive oil if she hadn't brought her products when she was someone's guest.

9780883650448 - Used - AbeBooks

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Trusted Contributor

Re: NOT PURITY ALONE

[ Edited ]

Removing sunscreen is a hot topic, even among cosmetic chemists.

Since sunscreen is invisible on skin, the problem is really knowing if your regular cleanser has removed all traces of it.  I've been reading that it doesn't matter if your sunscreen is the physical or chemical type, most mportant is the sunscreen's water resistance. This will affect how you should cleanse your skin to remove it completely. Many sudsy type cleansers MAY not have enough surfactants to remove sunscreens effectively.  In that case, two steps are recommended, an oil cleanse first, followed by your sudsy cleanser.

I can't post links because of ads but these seem like some easy methods to determine if your regular cleansing routine is removing your sunscreen completely.

Sunscreen, especially waterproof ones, are best removed with oil-based cleansers. If your cleanser has oils in it (i.e. milky, cream, or cleansing oils), it will probably be able to properly remove your sunscreen. To tell if sunscreen is removed completely, take a close look at your skin after you finish washing.

If the water droplets on your skin look very round and bubble-like (like how water droplets look on a water-proof or oily surface), then you probably still have traces of sunscreen on your skin. If this is the case, consider using cleansing oils or makeup removers.

You can also give your cleanser the toner or mirror test. For the toner test, wipe on some toner (or even plain oil) after washing your face and if there is anything left on the cotton pad, then your cleanser is not removing sunscreen properly.

For the mirror test, touch your skin while it's still damp (after cleansing) and wipe your finger a on a mirror. If the water streaks are clean and clear, then your cleanser is doing a good job washing off sunscreen. If it ends up white or murky, then you probably need a better cleanser to remove your sunscreen completely or you need to use a makeup remover beforehand.

Source- skinaceadotcom

Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

Did you know Greta Garbo used the Erno Laszlo method, which we know starts with the oil cleanser. In "Four Fabulous Faces," it's reported that she even asked for sink cleanser(to clean the sink in preparation for all the splashing) and olive oil if she hadn't brought her products when she was someone's guest.

@GingerPeach 

I am a fan of his Black Bar Soap.

I read recently that he told Jackie Kennedy to use his tonic under her arms after - 🛁 bath, at bed time.  (Can’t remember source)

Does anyone know why you would do that?

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@GingerPeach wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@GingerPeach 

I am a fan of his Black Bar Soap.

I read recently that he told Jackie Kennedy to use his tonic under her arms after - 🛁 bath, at bed time.  (Can’t remember source)

Does anyone know why you would do that?

@Drythe I'm guessing that since the Laszlo toner is mostly alcohol that may be why the recommendation. It would or should kill odor-causing bacteria.

When I eased away from using Laszlo, I made my own toner with diluted alcohol for pennies instead of the $$$ charged by Laszlo. 

I never thought about uses beyond my face, though. Innovation is a good thing.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

Micellar water removes sunscreen. That's b/c micellar water acts like an oil cleanser b/c it contains tiny balls of oil molecules which dissolve and capture stuff off your skin and it doesn't leave behind an oily feeling. 

Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

I can believe that.  I found Purity to be one of the worst cleansers I had ever used.  I always felt like there was a film on my face after cleansing.  

The worst I ever used, 

Respected Contributor
If I have anything on my face except moisturizer, I need to double cleanse. I just don’t think cleanser alone is effective.