Super Contributor

My lashes are very thin and fine (although I have been using Latisse with some recent improvement). I would like to find an affordable mascara that is non-clumping but would add some definition to my lashes. I tried Maybelline totaltemptation mascara and it was a clumpy mess. I have noticed the plastic mascara brushes work better for me in terms of not clumping. Any suggestions would be appreciated. 

Honored Contributor

@kwkelleywrote:

My lashes are very thin and fine (although I have been using Latisse with some recent improvement). I would like to find an affordable mascara that is non-clumping but would add some definition to my lashes. I tried Maybelline totaltemptation mascara and it was a clumpy mess. I have noticed the plastic mascara brushes work better for me in terms of not clumping. Any suggestions would be appreciated. 

@kwkelley  Most mascaras will clump less if you wipe the brush on a tissue first. Yes, a waste of mascara, but it works.

Respected Contributor

I'm a fan of Bobbi Brown mascara.....Everything Mascara and Extreme Party Mascara are the two I use......

Honored Contributor

I recently started using L'Oreal Original Telescopic Mascara Carbon Black. It lengthens but does not add volume. It has a plastic wand that when removed has no extra product on it, which I think helps prevent clumping. It's a very natural look. The shade is not an extreme black at all.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

I’m really enjoying the IT tightline. I have really thin eyelashes and this helped get close to the base without the clumping. If I want more lashes then I’ll go over them with Clinique mascara.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm another vote for Bobbie Brown mascara. Any type work but my favorites are Extreme and Smolky eye. 

Respected Contributor

I'm a huge fan of CoverGirl Clump Crusher. I have to use a waterproof mascara, so my recommendation is based on the waterproof formula and i can't vouch for the non-waterproof version. I find this mascara is great for definition without clumps and I really like the brush.It is a harder plastic brush instead of a soft bristle brush, so be aware of that if you have a strong preference toward the 'fluffier' bristle brushes. I only use one coat of mascara, so your mileage may vary.

Here are a couple of video reviews, none of which are by me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zr5EkBAQdQc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TrNFRYoFRs

I also really like MAC Gigablack Extended Play mascara. It has a more traditional bristle brush, but it's a very skinny wand. It does a great job of defining and lengthening lashes with no clumping. Because the wand is so skinny, it allows me to get in and coat every lashs. One coat is very natural looking. I do feel like this one makes me lashes feel a bit crispy, but I like everything else about it. It's about $18, so more expensive than a drugstore mascara, but not bad for a department store mascara.

Two more video reviews, still not by me. Smiley Happy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBBToVytLyA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3h5WgZy0__g

Both these forumlas are dry, but I really like them. If they get too dry a month or 2 in, I add a drop or three of eye moisturizing drops so I don't have to replace early.

Honored Contributor

@kwkelley    Give Origins a try.  Very moist, under $20 and comes in brown or black.  Never flakes or clumps.  Gives length and some volume.  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

@kwkelleywrote:

Lancôme Les Definicils.  It’s has a small thin brush and no clumping. 

Honored Contributor

This Maybelline might interest you @kwkelley. It has a double-ended brush, each with it's own tube for lower and another for upper lashes. As you can see there is the smaller brush for the lower lashes but I like to use it on my upper lashes because it gets close to the lash line and will not lay down a lot of mascara...it puts just enough to make the lashes more defined without clumping. 

69849635-3d73-4015-beb0-2f4602af4c40_1.38e43496358988fd992db293c725f509.jpeg