Respected Contributor

i have very light skin. i tried so many self tanners. the one that works the best for me, and that i have used for 2 years is josie maran tanning oil.  i mix a little in some moisturizer and it works great. i cannot use this, or any self tanner on their own though. i have to mix it! i like a small amount of color.

Honored Contributor

Honestly, I don't even understand it.  I don't know why people can't accept their own skin tones.  Is being pale or alabaster a bad thing????  If a person doesn't tan naturally, is that a bad thing????   They have not yet and probably never will develop a fake&bake product that looks real.  I don't think it's possible.  They all look fake and some still a chemical smell to them.  I suppose it is possible that the fake&bake look is what some people are actually going for.  Like George Hamilton, those people don't expect it to look like a real tan.  That's my daughter's theory.  I let the sun do whatever it's going to do to my skin tone naturally but I do use Neutrogenia Body oil on my arms and legs just to shine a little.  

Respected Contributor

I agree with you.  I have wasted too much $$$ on self-tanners...now I stay white!  If I do get some sun I just use a high SPF and I am happy with the bit of color that I get.  The smell...yes they ALL smell!!!

Respected Contributor

I have yet to see a natural looking self tanner used on any QVC  host. They all look fake and very uneven.  Plus they overdo it and use too much.

Respected Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

Honestly, I don't even understand it.  I don't know why people can't accept their own skin tones.  Is being pale or alabaster a bad thing????  If a person doesn't tan naturally, is that a bad thing????   They have not yet and probably never will develop a fake&bake product that looks real.  I don't think it's possible.  They all look fake and some still a chemical smell to them.  I suppose it is possible that the fake&bake look is what some people are actually going for.  Like George Hamilton, those people don't expect it to look like a real tan.  That's my daughter's theory.  I let the sun do whatever it's going to do to my skin tone naturally but I do use Neutrogenia Body oil on my arms and legs just to shine a little.  

Do you use mascara? Lipstick? Blush? Eyeliner? 

Do you curl or straighten your hair? Do you use scent?

If you do, why arent you  happy with your natural hair, lashes, cheek color or hair texture or the way you smell?

Self tanners are a cosmetic. Just like all the other stuff we talk about in this forum.

Honored Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

I stopped tanning when I was in my late 20s.  I have an olive complexion and can get very dark if I want to but I don't want to have aged looking skin which tanning does. 

At 65 (today is my birthday!) I only have one wrinkle across the top of my forehead.  When I tried the faux tanning it just seemed like too much work and too fake looking.

@haddon9   Happy Belated Birthday 🎂 !!

Honored Contributor

Jergen's Glow is a good product, but I could feel it on my skin when I tanned before bed.  I never felt San Tropes' foam.

Also, Jergen's Glow stained my psalms.

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

Jergen's Glow is a good product, but I could feel it on my skin when I tanned before bed.  I never felt San Tropes' foam.

Also, Jergen's Glow stained my psalms.

Psalms!  I’m sure it’s a typo, but a funny one 😄

Honored Contributor

I’m naturally pale.  In the past, I felt fine going bare skinned on my arms and legs in warmer months.  Now I have some scars and skin discoloration....I use self tanners at times to give myself a better overall appearance.  I don’t try to look “tanned”, but a slightly darker skin tone hides a lot of what I want to cover up 

Honored Contributor

@Shanus 

I stopped tanning - fake or real - years ago. I realized tans may be marketed as a healthy look but, in reality, they are unhealthy. And it is not a look I want.