Honored Contributor

Every show has some form of self-tanner product. I’m not only too fair to fake a tan (“fake” being the operative word), but the few times I’ve tried when younger, it’s messy and has a smell...no matter what they say.

My shorts days are over and I’ve accepted my natural coloring when I let my hair be silver and curls be free. 

What are your opinions on this “fake bake” bronzed look?

Honored Contributor

I am super fair and burn within minutes of being in the sun.  I am not into fake tans or for that matter, any sun tanned skin.

I am who I am and it took thousands of years of genics to color me.  I am happy with the way things turned out and have no desire to change a thing.  Plus, all of these chemicals in cosmetics are put into our bloodstream each time we apply them.

i do expose my legs and body in a swimsuit almost every day all summer long, though I do wear a cover-up if not in the water.  I am pretty pasty white, but it doesn't bother me.

I like everything simple and clean.

For those who like to tan or look tan, that's okay too.  My DH tans in a quick minute and he gets pretty dark.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus @Every time I think I will quit they put out a new product and I get hooked one more time.I am about to try the drops that you add to your own moisturizer...we will see.I have a beach cabin and I wear shorts and bare arms so I need help to get a little color to my whiteness.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

I am super fair and burn within minutes of being in the sun.  I am not into fake tans or for that matter, any sun tanned skin.

I am who I am and it took thousands of years of genics to color me.  I am happy with the way things turned out and have no desire to change a thing.  Plus, all of these chemicals in cosmetics are put into our bloodstream each time we apply them.

i do expose my legs and body in a swimsuit almost every day all summer long, though I do wear a cover-up if not in the water.  I am pretty pasty white, but it doesn't bother me.

I like everything simple and clean.

For those who like to tan or look tan, that's okay too.  My DH tans in a quick minute and he gets pretty dark.

@Carmie   A lady after my own heart...said beautifully. BTW, my hubby has olive skin and always tanned while I stayed under any tree or umbrella I could find. I finally convinced him 20 yrs. ago to wear spf. Darker skin does  not protect against skin cancer. 

Honored Contributor

No tanning at all for me - faux or real!

More than 15 years ago I decided to "embrace the pale."  I'm very fair and intend to stay this way!

Respected Contributor

I don’t like self tanners.....gave up on them years ago.

I go out in the morning by my pool and get a little sun .

I watch the clock so I never over do it. My belief is that the sun light is good for me in small doses.

Honored Contributor

Another fair skinned lady here. I am in my 50s & I have tried lots of faux tanners but just didn’t like them. Too orange, too streaky, too messy. I stopped using them several years ago. Sometimes I mix a bit of Sally Hansen leg makeup with my moisturizer which makes my legs look a bit nicer when I wear knee length skirts and dresses. 

Honored Contributor

I use the MineTan foam self tanner on my legs only. It has never turned orange and it doesn't stink either. It's really good stuff, imo.

Honored Contributor

I have never understood the facination with tanning.... either naturally or topically?  What is wrong with white skin?  I like my white skin!

Respected Contributor

I am fair and I would like to do self tanner but I am afraid I will get a poor result. I actually have a few products I bought last year but I never used. I got the Josie Maran tanning oil with the mit and I got Tan towels.  They're just sitting there!

I love the way I look with a tan. Not that I've had one in a VERY long time, as I make it a point to avoid baking in the sun and use hats and sunscreen when I'm going to be out all day in the sun.  I gave my friend some of the tan towels and told her she's the guinea pig!  I don't think she tried yet.  I've alway wondered what about the body parts you can't reach?  Do you get someone to assist you?