Regular Contributor

@feline groovy wrote:

Been a huge fan of Warby Parker since 2012, and have worn progressives from them for the last six years.   

For anyone wondering, the "Asian fit" is actually a 'Low Bridge' fit:

it's crafted for those with low nose bridges (if the bridge of your nose sits level with or below the pupils), wide faces, and/or high cheekbones.

@Shanus 's new glasses are the WP style 'Haskell' and the color is 'Crystal.  Nice choice.  8-)

@feline groovy  Have you gotten your Warby Parker glasses online or at the store?  I'be been wanting to try ordering online because the price is so much better.  I need progressives too & some people say it is hard to get them right online.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Shanus   I had cataract surgery and no more glasses for me! I have 20/15 vision in both eyes.  I wore contacts and glasses my entire life since 3rd grade.  I hated wearing glasses!

@SeaMaiden   Not rushing to surgery, but think a lot of folks end up w/ cataracts as they age. 

@Shanus   Actually EVERYBODY 

Honored Contributor

Re: NEW GLASSES FRAMES

[ Edited ]

@2penny 

Only online. 

Didn't have any issues with mine, but WP has a great guarantee and fantastic customer support.  Check out their return/exhange section, etc..

Warby Parker is actually the only place I can afford progressives at.

I've worn single vision eyeglasses since I was 5, and progressives for about the last seven years.

My RX is strong so basic high index lenses are required, and thankfully they're only an extra $30 at WP.

What originally drew to them, though, was their "buy one give one" philanthropy which has been expanded to include children.

Honored Contributor

@feline groovy  Yay! That’s my frames. So happy I’m in the 8 and above size! 🤓

Honored Contributor

Re: NEW GLASSES FRAMES

[ Edited ]

I honestly didn’t think there’d be this much to talk about when my brought up my new glasses. 😜 Slow Q day with all the overpriced gold. 

Honored Contributor

When I wore glasses (I don't any more except readers) I would sometimes buy sunglasses and pop out the lenses for prescription lenses.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@Shanus:  LOL

Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus 

I can feel the joy in your post!  Am so happy for you that you found frames that actually fit.  Many of us have an issue with frame fitting problems.  Mine is the opposite from yours.  I have a large circumference head, though people tell me they don't notice it.  However, place frames on me, and, oh boy, the trouble begins.

I've gotta share this true story.  It's a bit long.

In 1992 I finally figured out why I was having such a problem finding frames that would accommodate the anatomy of my head: every single frame I had been trying on for years and years + purchasing, came from China.  Basically designed for all of the Asian countries, they were shipped to the huge American market - but - man, what an issue for me.  I needed a frame that would fit a Germanic/Nordic skull.  Got into this discussion at work and was referred to "Optical Illusion" at the Hillsdale Mall in San Mateo, CA.  One lunch hour drove there.  The shop was like walking into a Louis XIV palace.  At first, I wondered if I was in the right place.  Then noticed only elegantly dress women as "sales associates."  I placed that term in quotes, because they were a great deal more than that.  A lady in her 50s approached me and I thought, "Thank God - someone who's been around the block more than 10 times!"  We sat down and she started by asking me to describe what I was looking for.  My answer: "I've never had a pair of glasses that actually fit me and didn't cause pain.  I was referred here by a friend who said I'd be able to find something." Then went on to tell her I needed regular plus sunglasses frames.  She arose and said she's be back in about 5 minutes.  OMG!  When she returned, I tried on all the frames on the table and they ALL fit me!!!  I was nearly beyond words.  I mean I had been wearing glasses since 16 and they were all uncomfortable, digging, poking, pressing, even with a thousand adjustments - making me miserable all day, you name it.

Frankly, I was beside myself with joy.  To finally be able to have 2 pair of glasses, one for distance and one as sunglasses, just amazed me.  I picked out the two frames and color density of the sunglasses, then gave her my credit card.  What came next........I just about fainted!!!

I had chosen, unbeknownst to me, just about the 2 most expensive frames in this high end shop.  I went in there not knowing it was high end.  The distance vision frame was Yves Saint Laurent and my sunglasses frame Casal.  Both were 18k gold, I learned, as she's explaining why I really needed to purchase these.  My total bill in 1992 was $3,200, plus some cents.

Honestly, she didn't need to explain anything.  At that time I had one credit card in my name only, so place this purchase on it.  These frames not only felt fantastic on me, but looked even better on my face.  I wore the YSL for some years, then tucked them away and now wear a Prada frame.  However, my Casal sunglasses frame is still in use.  It has such an unusual design on it that I'm continually receiving compliments, with people asking me the name of the designer.  I looked up it's value on a Casal website about 3 years ago and my frames are worth over $8k.

So, that's my saga of frames made for a specific cultural origin.  Believe me, they'd be huge - way too big -  on many of my friends in SF.

Honored Contributor

@sfnative  What a great story! So, you know the excitement of a well fitting frame. I can honestly say I’ve spent big money on handbags, jewelry, etc., but given that price for frames would have dropped my mouth open!!! Not saying I wouldn’t dig deep into my wallet to purchase them...My glasses have been sliding down my nose, too wide for my face and generally uncomfortable since I needed RX glasses. 

Loved reading your account...so well written. 🌸

Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus 

You know, my mouth WAS probably hanging open, in a lady-like fashion. LOL!

If I hadn't had such issues my entire life until then with frames, I would have politely bowed out of the purchases.  However, they were absolutely perfect and my Casal sunglasses frames are still Wowza!