Occasional Contributor

Re: NEED to STOP WEN,any suggestions??? Alternatives?

So sorry! I don't like it either. I have about $200 worth of it to use up (I impulse shop) then never again. My bathtub clogs constantly, the floor is always slippery no matter how much I scrub, I lose more hair than I ever have and my hair knots up just by me putting a coat on. It does not work for me at all! I hope you get better soon!

Respected Contributor

Hello, Sassy208 and welcome. Smile

There's hair products by Nick Chavez. Perhaps you could give Nick's Traditions Yucca Root Shampoo and Conditioner a try. I use it on my hair and I think it's very gentle. If you want something that's paraben-free and sulfate-free, Nick makes Advanced Plump 'N Thick Shampoo and Conditioner (haven't tried this one).

Some other tips I want to mention to you.

Don't wash your hair every day. If your scalp is sensitive, you won't want to wash it everyday. You need to give it a chance to relax a bit. Try washing your hair every five days. When you wash you hair, do it gently. Don't scrub your hair and scalp vigorously. That might irritate it more. When you use Nick's conditioner, put it on the ends of your hair, not the scalp. And one more thing. When you brush your hair, don't brush from the scalp and work your way down. Brush your hair from the ends and work your way up. This is so you don't yank the hair out from the root. Since your scalp is irritated, you'll have to be very gentle. So, I hope your hair and scalp gets better.

@Greenqueen, rxlady, Robbynn and sunny66, welcome. Smile

~Nick Chavez is my favorite vendor on QVC and Alberti Popaj is my favorite QVC host.~
Nick Chavez now has his own sub-forum under the My Favorite Brand folder
Super Contributor

Let me preface this with the fact that I don't use WEN or any type of cleansing conditioner...I am speaking in general terms here...

I had a scalp infection last year. I had been using a sulfate free shampoo and conditioner from Loreal daily for years without issue. I was also using a leave in styling cream by CHI afterward.

My scalp couldn't "breathe" and the residual stuff from the cleaning and styling was breeding bacteria that turned into a fungal infection. I had a severe dandruff issue start and then an intense it+ch and my hair started falling out. My derm had me alternate between the old "tar" type dandruff shampoo and a zinc one for dandruff to stop the it+ch and calm down the infection. Things had calmed down and I kept on the doctor's regimen for 2 weeks and then started alternating a popular dandruff shampoo and an Argan oil one. I've been clear since, my hair looks and feels incredibly healthy, and there is hardly any hair in the drain. I'm back to my usual thickness, too. I rarely condition after shampooing and have cut back on the amount of leave in styling cream I use.

I learned that you have to give your hair a "break" from products that coat the hair a lot. Anything that you wash with that conditions the hair, is likely leaving something behind. It's also coating the scalp, especially if you use it as a leave in conditioner, too. What might start out working really well for you can go off the rails like my situation did. I think you must give the scalp a "break" once in a while from conditioning and also make sure you get it deep down clean occasionally to avoid a bacteria or fungus that you may have and not even know it. I mean that regardless of what brands you use. My commentary is NOT aimed at WEN in particular.

ETA: I had to write that one word with a plus sign in the middle because the Q's filter thought I was writing the "b" word. Weird!

Valued Contributor

To the OP - I appreciate your post. If you are posting your opinion and/or what happened to you, then don't worry about the rants. I have always taken the WEN worship pets with a grain of salt and have appreciated those who would post their negative experiences with WEN and take the tongue beating that they get for it. Hang in there, there are those of us out here who do not like WEN and we have the freedom to say that!
Super Contributor

On 3/16/2015 wingnut09 said:
On 3/16/2015 Sassy208 said:

Hi Ladies, I am a long time user that must stop using ALL WEN. I've used it since 2008 and thought I was allergic but my doctor said it is an extreme Bacterial Infection and he put me on a long strong course of antibiotics. I've been fighting it for a while and now I have no resistance to it. The first time I had a reaction to wEN was when Chaz first brought Pomegranate, that long ago. I got an itchy rash around my face. Now I react that way and worse to all wen no matter what the formula. Too bad, I was such a huge fan, but can't continue using a product full of bacteria. So now I am searching for the right shampoo that doesn't feel like my hair has been striped down to straw by a degreaser or dishwashing soap. Any former wen ladies that have found something they love? (Yes, I did try the Pantene cleansing conditioner in pomegranate, wonderful results, incredible price, same wen benefits, but I reacted to it also. Same formula??? just saying) Would love to hear your recommendations. Again, I can not use any formula of wen, it all full of the bacteria I am reacting to, even Bamboo that is super high in alcohol I have a reaction to... If you still use wen I'm happy for you, I just can't.

If WEN was full of bacteria as you stated, wouldn't we all be affected?

He toned down his post.. HIS first post was removed...

Like I said in his first post I do not believe this...

:

YES it is a HE...

Super Contributor

On 3/16/2015 Sassy208 said:

Boy, this is my first post and I can't believe how many nasty people are out there leaving nasty comments. If my reality conflicts with your beliefs just go to the next. If you don't have problems yet great with wen, you probably will. If you don't believe me, fine, there are a lot of reviews about losing hair, scalp issues caused by wen, but you choose to call me names and try to discredit me? WOW! Shame on you!!! As for me, yes this is my first post... but you will find me if you go to the questions and answers, I am a QVC Top 25 Contributor. To the kind ladies who offered help, thank you so much. I look forward to hearing from you. I just tried Carols Daughter, it was like an industrial degreaser! My gosh, you could wash dishes with it is so aggressive. As for my previous comment on pantene, go to walgreens.com and search cleansing conditioners. The Ren products and the Renew products do not compare to wen, the Pantene does. The Loreal products are more of a shampoo / cleansing conditioner cross over, it lathers. Organix is not pure enough but a cost efficient alternative, I just can't use it.

No one was a more obnoxious WEN enthusiast as me. I've used it exclusively since 2008. Who are you to judge me. I was so obnoxious I would approach people on the street and tell them about wen! If you think cosmetics are pure you are misinformed. Wen is full of bacteria. Shows a lack of cleanliness at the facility. If you think a cosmetic product or wen is made in a sterile laboratory by people wearing white jackets and masks and the equipment is sterilized everyday, you are clearly delusional. Most people won't notice or react, some are more sensitive than others. I posted because I asked the question on the normal pages and I got, try this formula, try that formula... wen is wen and I can not use it.

Please stop being so mean, nasty and judgmental. Thank you!

This is NOT your first post... You posted your story ALMOST word

for word... It was obvious that you had a bone to pick with

SOMEONE... That fact was not lost... So much so it was removed.

:

Same person... Same story .. NEW Name...

Respected Contributor

I'm probably going to regret this.....but I'll probably regret it more if I don't at least try.

Everyone, please don't be mean to the OP. She only has two posts and already people are verbally piling on her....or him. But please don't be cruel to her like this. She hasn't done anything. The posts on this board have been more and more aggressive lately and it's just not right to be hurtful to someone like this. Not every product will work for everyone.

All she did was ask for some alternatives to use a different product and people are acting like she just kicked a puppy. So please, leave her alone. She hasn't done you any harm. If someone doesn't like what's posted, just leave the thread and the person who posted it alone. There's no need to be like this to every new poster. All this same person with a new nic stuff is just weird. She's just a new poster that asked for help. So please let's not be like this to her.

Imagine if you were the new poster who just joined a forum board and other posters did this to you, and you didn't have any friends or cliques to come stick up for you. Please let's just leave her be.

~Nick Chavez is my favorite vendor on QVC and Alberti Popaj is my favorite QVC host.~
Nick Chavez now has his own sub-forum under the My Favorite Brand folder
Regular Contributor

I agree with Kzeks.

This c-r--a--p with people creating new accts so that they can re post their WEN bash with a fresh identity has been going on since WEN got it's own forum. They love to stir things up then play poor, wounded, bullied consumer, then you never hear from them again until they create another new identity.

And yes, this always seems to happen when a WEN TSV is coming up.

I'm a Med/Surg RN and know quite a few nurses who use WEN. I also know that a physician worth their salt would give samples of shampoos to try or give a list of things to buy. A physician wouldn't tell a patient to come to a QVC forum for scalp treatment product advice.

Respected Contributor

Recommended by Dermatologists...Ask your Dermatologist For Samples!!!

Bacterial infected??? You need shampoo for scalp problems NOT an Alternative to ANY Shampoo or Wen type cleansing conditioner. Most scalp problems are caused by Psoriasis and Seborrheic Dermatitis or sometimes Not rinsing enough & leaving too much residue which can cause bacteria buildup. Always Ask your Dermatologist first she or he may also suggest a Vinegar Rinse.

~A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words~
Valued Contributor

I would definitely ask my dermatologist what to use. What works for one person may not work for the other. I use Kerastase which is expensive, but that have a line in a blue bottle for sensitive scalps. I think that Haircare24. may carry this line at a discount. If not, a salon in your area may.