Occasional Contributor

NEED to STOP WEN,any suggestions??? Alternatives?

Hi Ladies, I am a long time user that must stop using ALL WEN. I've used it since 2008 and thought I was allergic but my doctor said it is an extreme Bacterial Infection and he put me on a long strong course of antibiotics. I've been fighting it for a while and now I have no resistance to it. The first time I had a reaction to wEN was when Chaz first brought Pomegranate, that long ago. I got an itchy rash around my face. Now I react that way and worse to all wen no matter what the formula. Too bad, I was such a huge fan, but can't continue using a product full of bacteria. So now I am searching for the right shampoo that doesn't feel like my hair has been striped down to straw by a degreaser or dishwashing soap. Any former wen ladies that have found something they love? (Yes, I did try the Pantene cleansing conditioner in pomegranate, wonderful results, incredible price, same wen benefits, but I reacted to it also. Same formula??? just saying) Would love to hear your recommendations. Again, I can not use any formula of wen, it all full of the bacteria I am reacting to, even Bamboo that is super high in alcohol I have a reaction to... If you still use wen I'm happy for you, I just can't.

Super Contributor

Re: NEED to STOP WEN,any suggestions??? Alternatives?

If you are under a doctor's care, taking prescription medicine why are you asking on this board what to put on your head? You should be asking your physician, not us.

Super Contributor

On 3/16/2015 Sassy208 said:

Hi Ladies, I am a long time user that must stop using ALL WEN. I've used it since 2008 and thought I was allergic but my doctor said it is an extreme Bacterial Infection and he put me on a long strong course of antibiotics. I've been fighting it for a while and now I have no resistance to it. The first time I had a reaction to wEN was when Chaz first brought Pomegranate, that long ago. I got an itchy rash around my face. Now I react that way and worse to all wen no matter what the formula. Too bad, I was such a huge fan, but can't continue using a product full of bacteria. So now I am searching for the right shampoo that doesn't feel like my hair has been striped down to straw by a degreaser or dishwashing soap. Any former wen ladies that have found something they love? (Yes, I did try the Pantene cleansing conditioner in pomegranate, wonderful results, incredible price, same wen benefits, but I reacted to it also. Same formula??? just saying) Would love to hear your recommendations. Again, I can not use any formula of wen, it all full of the bacteria I am reacting to, even Bamboo that is super high in alcohol I have a reaction to... If you still use wen I'm happy for you, I just can't.

If WEN was full of bacteria as you stated, wouldn't we all be affected?

Valued Contributor

This still sounds like contact dematitis. The bacterial infection may be true, but at this point the user's skin is too sensitized to the ingredients, be they the essential oils or preservatives, both known irritants to fragile/sensitive skin. Even mild tingling =some irritation. Try a gentle, fragrance-free shampoo & conditioner like Jason's Naturals or Paula's Choice. You will need a shampoo/conditioner combo. Also, take Benadryl at night. It sounds like your doctor may not have diagnosed the allergy that has developed in the meantime. it is very likely you are allergic to the essential oils and/or the methyl---zone preservatives, which shouldn't be used on skin but are in tons of hair & skin products.
Respected Contributor

I could see having an allergic reaction to something in the Wen that would cause a breakout and it must be the same ingredient in Pantene, since that caused the same reaction. I doubt that the Wen or Pantene would be full of bacteria. There are very strict guidelines and batches have to be tested for anything problematic.

If there is a bacterial infection, it could have taken hold due to the skin being regularly inflamed with using Wen. The skin's defenses were broken down and, since bacteria is all around us, the skin finally became infected from the constant aggravation. The OP should have stopped immediately if she was having a reaction and the infection would never have set in (barring any compromised immune system issues).

As for what shampoo to use now, the doctor should have prescribed an anti-bacterial shampoo to use to help clear up the infection, or at the very least, told the OP what shampoo to use and how to treat her scalp right now.

Sassy208, you should be asking your doctor what to use right now and forget about how it makes your hair feel. You need to clear up the infection first before you start worrying about the condition of your hair. You'll probably need to go back to what you were using before and always do a skin test before using a new product. If you have a reaction, then it's not for you.

Regular Contributor

No hair product is sterile, so the "full of bacteria" claim is true...all hair products are! BUT, it is silly to claim it's causing an infection.

Now if you have an allergic reaction, that's real and individual to you.

Have you tried just using a Suave conditioner only? Same idea as Wen but may not have the same allergens.

Super Contributor

I agree with cosmic1, if you have a bacterial infection it is secondary to the allergic reaction. I'm very sure your Dr. did not tell you the products are "full of bacteria".

Esteemed Contributor

I read a lot of negative threads about the wen product... and I am glad I have never used it. That being said I think the O/P worded her thread incorrectly. Maybe she meant that the product caused a bad reaction in her not that the product was full of bacteria.

Trusted Contributor

On 3/16/2015 Sassy208 said:

Bamboo Green Tea Cleansing Conditioner Water, Cetearyl Alcohol, Bamboo Water, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Cetyl Alcohol, Aloe Vera Leaf Juice, Bamboo Extract, Green Tea Leaf Extract, Black Tea Leaf Extract, White Tea Leaf Extract, Rooibos Red Tea Extract, Passion Fruit Flower Extract, Goji Berry Fruit Extract, Acai Fruit Extract, Seaweed Extract, Aloe Vera Leaf Extract, Lemon Peel Extract, Rosemary Leaf Extract, Wild Cherry Fruit Extract, Chamomile Flower/Leaf Extract, Marigold Flower Extract, Grapefruit Peel Oil, Lemon Peel Oil, Orange Peel Oil, Mandarin Orange Peel Oil, Bergamot Fruit Oil, Clove Leaf Oil, Geranium Flower Oil, Cinnamon Bark Oil, Nutmeg Kernel Oil, Caraway Seed Oil, Menthol, Panthenol (Pro­Vitamin B5), L­Arginine, L­Aspartic Acid, Glycine, L­Alanine, L­Serine, L­Valine, L­Proline, L­Threonine, L­Isoleucine, L­Phenylaline, L­Histidine, Palmitoyl Oligopeptide, Palmitoyl Tetrapeptide­7, Glycerin, Polysorbate­20, Polysorbate­60, Sodium PCA, Sodium Lactate, Hydrolyzed Rice Protein, PCA, Tetrasodium EDTA, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Amodimethicone, Fragrance, Ethylhexylglycerin, Carbomer, Phenoxyethanol, Citric Acid.

CETEARYL ALCOHOL
Rating:
GOOD
Categories:
Emollients , Thickeners/Emulsifiers
Fatty alcohol used as an emollient, emulsifier, thickener, and carrying agent for other ingredients. Can be derived naturally, as in coconut fatty alcohol, or synthetically.

©paulaschoice.com

Functions of Cetyl Alcohol:
Works as an emollient, emulsifier, thickener and carrying agent for other ingredients contained in a cosmetic solution. It keeps the oil and water parts of an emulsion from separating, and gives products good spreadability. As a thickening agent and surfactant, it helps alter the viscosity and increase the foaming capacity of non-aqueous (i.e. lotions) and aqueous solutions (i.e. shampoo). It is often misinterpreted as an "alcohol" related to ethyl or rubbing alcohol, both of which can be extremely drying to the skin. The truth, in fact, is quite the opposite, as cetyl alcohol is well known to effectively condition and soften the skin and hair. Because of its multi-functional capabilities, this ingredient is used in a wide range of personal care products such as moisturizer, face cream, shampoo/conditioner, anti-aging treatment, hair dye, sunscreen, cleanser and lipstick.

©truthinaging.com
@(-_-)@ ~lyn~
Birman =^..^= Servant
Member since 04.2007

Trusted Contributor

Whether or not all of the responders believe this is a fake post by a "hater" I used WEN for over two years and while my hair looked great with WEN, my scalp became itchy, then painful and my hair fell out a lot. I have my own theories as to what the cause is but some people may have sensitivities to the product that others do not, just like any other product, or even food, or household products. My recommendations to the OP are two things: 1st ask his/her physician if they shouldn't be using a strong shampoo such as Nizoral to kill the bacteria. After the OP finishes whatever treatment shampoo the doc recommends, he/she should probably switch to a standard shampoo and conditioner for a while as most of the cleansing conditioners will probably affect the scalp the same way WEN did. I have fine, naturally curly color treated hair and recently started using Pureology's Curl Complete shampoo. It's pricey but I don't need to use a lot and it is organic with no sulfates, silicone's etc. I don't use conditioner except as a once a week deep treatment. So depending on the OP's hair type, he/she may want to check out Pureology's line.

QVC lost a lot of my posts too!