Regular Contributor

Re: NEED HELP WITH HAIR LOSS!

Hi @qvc chick ,

I suffered a stressful medical event (not Covid) in mid October 2020.  I was in ICU for 5 days and then 10 more days in the hospital.  I noticed in January that my hair was coming out each time I brushed it or washed it.  Huge handfuls!  I told my doctor and she said it was a condition called Telogen effluvium, a form of temporary hair loss that usually happens about 3 months after stress, a shock or a traumatic event.  It usually occurs on the top of the scalp.  This condition does not cause complete hair loss but your hair becomes noticeably thin. It occurs most often in women.  My doctor said there is no proven treatment and that it lasts from 3-6 months and then my hair should start to grow back.  I have noticed less shedding lately, thank god, but my hair is very thin especially at my crown. (my scalp is visible.)  I'm hoping it grows back thick!!  Google Telogen effluvium.  Hope this helps.  Stay safe and well!

Diana

GET RICH...........Count Your Blessings!
Esteemed Contributor

Hair loss from a serious medical event is different from loss from chemo.

For sure you can get a new "layer" of growth.  A good thing.  It can be like growing bangs, that extreme.

No doctor I saw really could speed up the process.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: use of a silk pillowcase: I am a fan and just yesterday ordered 100% silk pillowcases w/silk scrunchie from AMZ for gifts. MUCH less $$$ than the NN cases- less than half the price, plus there was a coupon AND free shipping on my order! 

I do not care for the cheap,100% poly satin cases. They are scratchy and do not launder well.

Especially now that there is no new Linea, I find that I am buying a lot less from QVC. I can almost always find the same or better item for a lot less elsewhere.

Honored Contributor

If you already own some silk scarves just tie them together and around your pillow. That way you don't have to buy a special silk pillowcase. Woman Wink

Trusted Contributor

@KingstonsMom  I want to get satin pillow cases too.  I toss and turn a lot in bed, and I know the satin would help with my hair.  Good to know QVC has them.  I searched once and didn't find any there.  

Trusted Contributor

@SilleeMee  I agree about no scrubbing your scalp.  I do message my scalp with shampoo and conditioner per the instructions.  Now I'm wondering if that's okay.

Respected Contributor

Last year my bloodwork came back with notes that Biotin has interfered with the thyroid testing.  I also notice I put on about 3lbs whenever I take it.  No big deal, but im small 5'1", just saying it does strange things to some people.    I started taking it again recently because I also have been losing ALOT of hair.  Idk if it's just a shedding phase, or because I had a bad head cold and bronchitis late November that lasted 2 weeks.  I also switched shampoos recently and I think I see much more hair loss after I come my hair out (an ingredient I may be sensitive to).  So im switching back to something else, but im still seeing some shedding...maybe a bit less.   But as for Biotin, I'll stop it as soon as the hair loss eases up.

I do believe good massaging the scalp during shampoo is great for blood circulation bringing nutrients to the scalp.  My daughter is a hair stylist and always does this, and sometimes uses peppermint conditioner or a few drops of peppermint oil added to the shampoo.  Feels great too!     I'm sure for all of us that go through this, it will let up and return to normal...as long as nothing medical is involved.  It's happened to me before, and it's alarming, and I stand outside stroking my hair watching all the loose hair fall out...😑.

Respected Contributor

But I started coloring my hair (every 2 weeks), then I didn't like the color, so I went back a week later and they put a toner on it.

@qvc chick 

That's too frequent. Try to let it go 6-8 weeks. My hair is thinning too. I use Madison Reed color but I usually go to the salon and have it done every 8 weeks as suggested by the colorist.

For root growth they have a pretty good powder. It's better than Tru Hair on HSN and Toppix. Very natural. I sympathize with you. It's terrible to experience hair loss for both sexes, but I think it's worse for a woman.

I wish you luck and new growth! Hopefully it's temporary and you can give your hair a rest and it will make a spectacular comeback! 🤞 

Honored Contributor

I'm on thyroid meds and take biotin and never had a problem.  Yes, it's in my chart.  From everything I have read, the biotin is NOT reacting with your meds or your thyroid.  It becomes a problem if the medical test uses biotin in the test.  It throws the test off.  What I do is stop taking it several days before getting a blood draw.  It pees out of your system, so that's plenty of time.  If you have to get an unexpected blood draw, make sure to tell them you are taking biotin so they know how to skew the results.  At least that is what the FDA warning concerning biotin says.

I have fine hair, and I know you do have to be careful about over-processing.  I do color and perm, so I'm very careful with my hair and strictly dry with a diffuser on medium heat.  I would think that every 2 weeks, especially bleach which is what it sounds like with the toner, would be way too often.  I try to go 5 weeks and usually have to use a spray or powder to cover some of the roots the last week.  

If you did have Covid,  I think hair loss is one of the common side effects.  

Valued Contributor

@qvc chick  My friend and her sister had Covid in October. Not severe but lasted several weeks. They are now experiencing a lot of hair loss. My friend, 62, has thinning hair to begin with. Her derm told her to use minoxidil 5%. 

I had  chemo 5 years ago and hair came back, not quite the same and thinner. I have been taking Biotin 10,000 for a year now. I go off for about 5 days before bloodwork.  
I also use minoxidil 2%. I get  Walmart's brand. 

I know this is devastating. Try to have patience to see results. I know it is hard.