Super Contributor

I am in my 60's, my hair used to be thick and curly when I was a kid.

Lately its gotten more fine.

But I started coloring my hair (every 2 weeks), then I didn't like the color, so I went back a week later and they put a toner on it.

About a week ago, I noticed my hair is noticebly thinner!   It seem like my underhairs are missing!  

I am very upset.  My hair, just a month ago, was fine.

Do you think it was from all the color treatments?  I used to go every 4 weeks.  I joined a membership club, so I was going every two weeks.

Need suggestions on what to do!  Thanks

Honored Contributor

Re: NEED HELP WITH HAIR LOSS!

What are 'underhairs'??

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@qvc chick,  You posted before that you had COVID-19 several months ago.  I've heard, from people I know and have worked with in the medical field, that associated noticeable hair loss has been experienced by some.  This might be a long shot, but you might ask your health care providers about that possibility.  I'm glad you recovered and hope you find a resolution to this.  Good wishes to you.❤️

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

Do you mean by "under hairs" that your hair is so thin that you can see your scalp?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I’m also in that age range and have experienced age-related thinning.  DH too.  We’ve had good results growing new hair using the hair peptides serum from The Ordinary.  It’s budget friendly too!  Keep in mind, nothing happens overnight.  You have to be consistent with it.  

ETA - I neglected to mention.  Biotin at high doses is often recommended.  I recently heard about the benefits of MSM.  We decided to add that to our supplement regimen but have only been taking is a short time, not long enough to see a difference yet.  

Respected Contributor

@dooBdoo Stress related hair loss is very common after an illness. It first starts with a lot of shedding which can be months later after recovery. It does stop & usually regrows. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@qvc chick 

Over the years, chemicals are very harsh on your hair and takes it's toll, hair weakens as we age.

A thyroid problem can also cause hair loss, as well as other medical conditions.

When I started shedding more hair than usual I went to an endocrinologist to make sure my thyroid was okay, it was.

I then went to my Derm, who told me to take 10,000 MCG (Micro Grams) of Biotin once a day.

Both DH and I have great results taking it, not nearly as much loss and new hairs growing.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Super Contributor

When I said underhairs, I mean like the layer of hair under the top layer. 

It is very thin.  The top layer of hair is still ok.

But I am asking if anyone went thru this and what I could take ??

Honored Contributor

You'll need to clarify underhairs.  Humans don't have them.

You're comparing your hair now in your 60's to when you were a kid.  Many lose hair as they age.  

Is your hair coming out by the root or breaking off?  Can you see your scalp more now than you did a month ago? 

Hair becoming thinner is common as we age, but being able to pull strands out along with the root requires a visit to your doctor.  A biopsy of the scalp would diagnose the problem.  Is there a pattern to the loss...on the top of the head could be female pattern baldness.  All over could be hypothyroidism or other medical condition.  Also, have you started taking a new medication?

If your hair is breaking off, roots still in your scalp, then it could be something you're doing to your hair that's making it brittle.  If that's the case, you may need treatments for dry and brittle hair.  

Honored Contributor

@qvc chick 

See my post above yours about Biotin.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.