Super Contributor

NAIL POLISH FOR THOSE OVER 50

I read where as you age some polish make your hands look old.  I'm looking for a plum color that will be forgiving for those over 50.  I for sure don't need to look older. Can anyone recommend one?

Honored Contributor

Re: NAIL POLISH FOR THOSE OVER 50

I am 64 and this time of year I wear only very dark shades, plums, purples, berries and wines, some look close to black. My fave is an older OPI shade called Mrs. O'Leary's BBQ.

Respected Contributor

Forget age and wear what you like. Personally, I only like natural light or clear shades. Always have. Always will. But some women are diehard color lovers, which is great. 

Valued Contributor

That's the first time I ever heard that!  Nail polish always makes, in my estimation, a woman's hands look so much better.  It is the finishing touch - regardless of the color chosen.

For me, different shades of gray work well; I have a friend though who always goes bold and her  nails look so nice.

So, go for it!  Pick whatever color you like and enjoy!

Frequent Contributor

Forget your age. Nail polish is meant to make you happy. There are so many beautiful colors.  I'm in my 50's and wear blue most of the time. I love it. There are no rules for YOUR nails.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@shiningstarEssie had one at the beginning of the Fall season called "angora cardi" #336.  It's a beautiful plum color.   I own it and I am in my mid 60's.  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

@Katcat1 Angora Cardi looks beautiful online. I will have to look for it in person.

Trusted Contributor

@shiningstar I agree with what others have said....wear whatever YOU like and feel looks good on you. Your individual skin tone well determine the specific shade(s) of a color will be most complementary on you. It's amazing how just a slight difference in hue/shade (or whatever the proper technical term is) can make all the difference. Also, don't be afraid to try a color or finish you've never worn. I've lost count of the number of times I've put on a polish I thought would look horrible on me and fallen in love. The reverse is true also. I've loved how a polish looked in the bottle and hated it on me.

Especially if you are doing your own mani, take your time and know that experience helps. Whether it's due to pigments or other ingredients, some polishes just require a certian level of expertise to apply. Learn how to properly care for your nails and hone your cleanup skills. 

Honored Contributor

i don't think physical age determines the shade of polish for your mani as much as the age of your hands...how they've aged. At my age, I prefer a clear, pinkish nude or beige shade. It makes my fingers look longer, doesn't draw attention to the veins and wrinkles. IMO a darker polish draws your eye to any blemishes on the hands..brown spots, arthritis, etc. I'd rather not draw attention to all that.

Frequent Contributor

Wear the color you want, I used to like polish that were lighter shades, the only dark shade I would use would be a dark red/burgundy.  Somehow my whole color choices changed, gone are the light shades now I like dark colors, I actually think they look better on my mid-50's hands. Although if I was young I sure would be rocking those orange & green fluorescent colors - LOL!!! 💅🏻