Trusted Contributor

Re: My vitamin C powder is gritty and drying

@monicakm, your Vit. C serum looks like a decent formulation to me, I hope it works well for you. 

I use an L-ascorbic acid Vit. C serum a few times/week from Skin Actives (like it very much) but am looking around for a SAP or MAP Vit. C serum to use on the alternate days.  ASDM Bevery Hills has a Lifting Contour Serum in their luxury line that is a MAP, Matrixyl 3000, hyaluronic acid, Vit. E and aloe serum that looks really nice, but pricey.  I like that it's basically an oil-free serum.

For those that wonder why you might want to continue to use a Vit. C serum, even if you haven't seen any noticeable changes to your skin, here's an informative blog article about the benefits of a Vit. C serum:  http://beautifulwithbrains.com/2015/02/03/complete-guide-vitamin-c-serums/

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@wagirl wrote:

The vit c powder I have is from Skinn which is very soft and fine and I've began to add it to the softening toners from Skinn as per what Dimitri suggested on a recent show. I LOVE  those products so much!! And I notice a brightness to my skin and a softness too. I use the toners 2x a day but only at night mixed with the vit c powder.

@wagirl  I have some of the Skinn Softening Essence, but haven't opened it.  It is real liquidy, like plain water, or does it have a little bit of slip to it?  I'm wondering if my concern about a liquid evaporating before everything could penetrate may not be an issue at all?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

River Song, "decent" doesn't excite me too much Smiley Surprised  If my husband told me the dinner that I served him was "decent", I'm sure I'd pout LOL  If it's not too much trouble, would you please tell me what it doesn't have (or has) that it should (or shouldn't)?  It will be here tomorrrow.

Thanks!

Honored Contributor

Jean--The essence is like thick water (?) but not thick like syrup thick and it goes on like water and dries fast. I put a little in my hands and press it in to my skin and let it dry after I cleanse. There is a little bit of tackiness but not much. Then I use  my serums and moisturizers.  No it doesn't evaporate into nothing;  leaves a surface good for the other things you use. It's like a toner , only way better.Takes away the tightness after cleansing.

Trusted Contributor

There are so many benefits to using a good Vit C product that go way beyond just the obvious benefits most want to see.  It strengthens any SPF product used and fights free radical damage (everywhere in the environment, not just the sun) on our skin which can really help prevent future aging issues.

Most derms who do focus on anti-aging skincare recommend the use of a good retinol as well as a good Vit C product as both have been proven to prevent, or at the very least, retard future aging issues.

I think we often have to try a few before we find the best formulation that works for our own individual skin to get rid of hyperpigmentation, age spots, etc.  Many derms here create their own formulations of retinol and Vit C to help those with serious hyperpigmentation issues.  We have a strong Hispanic population locally and they are more prone to melasma hence why so many local derms resort to creating their own formulas.

I can say that I saw the greatest reduction of my annoying age spots when I used the Vit C serum by NCN.  It is not inexpensive but it sure has worked on my skin.  I have also found that it is necessary to use some sort of exfoliation weekly to really see the benefits of the C serum - otherwise you are not getting the dead skin off enough in order to see the results of the aging spots dissipating.  That has been my experience anyway.  I prefer a mid exfoliator so it doesn't have to be overly harsh if used often enough to get that dead skin off.

Respected Contributor

@monicakm wrote:

Here are the ingredients for the C Serum I purchased from Amazon.  Does anyone see anything glaringly wrong or missing?

Ingredients

TruSkin Naturals is serious about anti-aging skin care. This one-of-a-kind Vitamin C Serum is created from the finest organic and natural ingredients available, formulated according to scientific research that determines the precise blend of the most effective natural ingredients. Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate (Vitamin C) makes up a full 20% of this powerful anti-aging serum. Other powerful ingredients include Vegan Botanical Hyaluronic Acid (holding up to 1000 times its weight in water, there is not a more effective moisturizing agent than HA on the market today), Organic Aloe Vera (a soothing moisturizer packed with beneficial nutrients), Vitamin E (a powerful antioxidant), Organic Witch Hazel, MSM, Organic Jojoba Oil, Organic Gotu Kola, Organic Geranium. This product is certified free of parabens, phthalates, GMOs, sodium lauryl sulfates, petrolatum, mineral oil, artificial colors and fragrances, and is properly pH balanced for your safety. TruSkin Naturals Vitamin C Serum is 98% natural, 72% organic, 100% vegetarian and 100% cruelty-free.

@monicakm. You went from the most effective form of Vit C (l-ascorbic) to the least effective (SAP).  Although, the l-ascorbic wasn't really effective since it was not solubilized.  Try as you might, it was never going to be since it is only water soluble.  It's easy enough to do.  Be sure to use distilled water NOT TAP!  A gallon of distilled is about $1 at the grocery store.  Use 20% l-ascorbic to 80% distilled water.  You can sub some of the water for other hydrous substances like glycerin, aloe, etc.  just make sure your mixture equals 100% of total ingredients used.  Do not go over 20% l-ascorbic.  There is no added benefit but there is added risk of sensitizing skin over 20%.  Make a small amount to only last a few days, week at the most as Vit C oxidizes at a rapid rate in water.  

if you want to opt for a pre made serum my recs are:

1) Great - NCN Skincare's C serum

2) Pretty Good - NuFountain C + Ferulic

C serums should have a sacrificial antioxidant like ferulic or Vit E due to negative ion transfer.  Yeah, it gets crazy, doesn't it?!