Honored Contributor

Re: My vitamin C powder is gritty and drying

[ Edited ]

When I said it didn't bother my skin, I was referring to burning and redness. 

My mother is a big believer and user of Vit C.  She bought some C powder at Ulta and decided to find some that was less expensive.  She found this on Amazon and said she would share it with me.  I was concerned  about the inexpensive cost compared to what she paid for the product at Ulta.  Yes, there are people that use it for internal purposes but many use it on their face too.  I think I may find a Vit C serum.  The powder does make a mess!  What strength/% should I look for?  And I can't spend a small fortune on it. 

Asian First essence...well, does water count? <g>  The Nerium product I use says to apply it over a damp face.  I've also started mixing a little water with my moisturizer or dampening my face first. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@monicakm wrote:

When I said it didn't bother my skin, I was referring to burning and redness. 

My mother is a big believer and user of Vit C.  She bought some C powder at Ulta and decided to find some that was less expensive.  She found this on Amazon and said she would share it with me.  I was concerned  about the inexpensive cost compared to what she paid for the product at Ulta.  Yes, there are people that use it for internal purposes but many use it on their face too.  I think I may find a Vit C serum.  The powder does make a mess!  What strength/% should I look for?  And I can't spend a small fortune on it. 

Asian First essence...well, does water count? <g>  The Nerium product I use says to apply it over a damp face.  I've also started mixing a little water with my moisturizer or dampening my face first. 

@monicakm  Funny, I've been thinking about this a lot today.  In my first response, I don't think I was clear enough.  I was thinking that a toner or first essence would be good for dissolving the Vitamin C powder that you already have, but I think I mislead you.  I made the assumption that you would still be adding a little of your moisturizer with it, but I still don't know if it would be a good combination when it comes to agreeable ingredients and/or a correct pH.  I don't think a toner, first essence, or water alone would be the only thing to use with a vitamin c powder.  I'd wonder about evaporation before the vitamin c would be able to penetrate.  Maybe someone else has some insight into that.  
It's my understanding that a 20% concentration is optimum when it comes to Vitamin C serums.  There are many of them on Amazon and there are favorites among many of the members here.  Some prefer an L-Ascorbic Acid serum, some prefer a Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate, and others prefer Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate.  Be careful when looking for an L-Ascorbic Acid serum because that kind oxidizes quickly.  Don't go for the deal and buy two, to save money.  You'll probably end up tossing it because it's likely to go bad before you can use it.  If the formulation doesn't have the right chemistry with some kind of stabilizer, an LAA serum is almost a waste of money, in a way.  My personal favorite is Mad Hippie Vitamin C Serum.  My daughter likes it too.  You can read about it on the Mad Hippie site, but you'll find better pricing other places on the internet.  Most recently, the best price has been on the Pure Formulas site, recommended by @Shelbelle, but also check Amazon Prime, Vitacost, iHerb, eBay, etc. 

Good luck.  

Respected Contributor

@Andreatoo wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

ETA - if you like the idea of using a powder because it stays fresh longer and is at its strongest right at mixing time, you might consider checking out the new Skinn Restore C+ Powder (look for it on eBay for your best price).  It's balanced with a mixture of "C's", doesn't burn the skin, and comes with a little spoon right inside the cap.  

I have the Skinn C and it disolves easily in serum or cream and no sting (unlike the philosophy which was much more pricey)

I came across the Skinn C today when cleaning out some stuff. It came with a kit and at the time I was using another product. It is a good product, I've used it before. Like you said, dissolves well, doesn't burn. I have trouble with some burning. Good recommendation. 

Esteemed Contributor

Does anyone see "results" with Vit C? I've been using the powder for at least a year, liquify it, and have never seen any kind of results from it. I've about stopped using it now. 

Honored Contributor

@febe1 wrote:

Does anyone see "results" with Vit C? I've been using the powder for at least a year, liquify it, and have never seen any kind of results from it. I've about stopped using it now. 

@febe1  What kind of results were you hoping to see?  Sometimes it takes awhile for us to see results.  Other times the benefits of our skincare products aren't immediately visible because they're working at deeper layers of our skin.  I've seen fading of hyperpigmentation, but I also continue to use a Vitamin C serum because it helps to build collagen and feeds my skin topically with antioxidants.  

Honored Contributor

I decided to go with a Vit C serum.  Bought this from Amazon...

Vitamin C Serum

Hope it's' a good brand.  20% Vit C, HA and E.

Occasional Contributor

The best way to intake vitamin C is to ensure that your diet or skin care products contain vitamin C, use skin care products which contain anti-oxidants such as vitamin A, C etc so so that they get effectively absorbed in your body, I have been using VITAL C hydrating ace serum, which I brought from https://www.imageskincare.com/  for a couple of weeks now and i can reslly feel the difference.

Esteemed Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@febe1 wrote:

@febe1  What kind of results were you hoping to see?  Sometimes it takes awhile for us to see results.  Other times the benefits of our skincare products aren't immediately visible because they're working at deeper layers of our skin.  I've seen fading of hyperpigmentation, but I also continue to use a Vitamin C serum because it helps to build collagen and feeds my skin topically with antioxidants.  

Hi, @JeanLouiseFinch. Well, I expected to see something and have been using it for a YEAR. I think that is giving it time. I expected some clarity, some effect on some hyperpigmentation I have. I have 1-1/2 containers from Dimitri sitting there. I guess I just like to see some results.

Honored Contributor

The vit c powder I have is from Skinn which is very soft and fine and I've began to add it to the softening toners from Skinn as per what Dimitri suggested on a recent show. I LOVE  those products so much!! And I notice a brightness to my skin and a softness too. I use the toners 2x a day but only at night mixed with the vit c powder.

Honored Contributor

Here are the ingredients for the C Serum I purchased from Amazon.  Does anyone see anything glaringly wrong or missing?

Ingredients

TruSkin Naturals is serious about anti-aging skin care. This one-of-a-kind Vitamin C Serum is created from the finest organic and natural ingredients available, formulated according to scientific research that determines the precise blend of the most effective natural ingredients. Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate (Vitamin C) makes up a full 20% of this powerful anti-aging serum. Other powerful ingredients include Vegan Botanical Hyaluronic Acid (holding up to 1000 times its weight in water, there is not a more effective moisturizing agent than HA on the market today), Organic Aloe Vera (a soothing moisturizer packed with beneficial nutrients), Vitamin E (a powerful antioxidant), Organic Witch Hazel, MSM, Organic Jojoba Oil, Organic Gotu Kola, Organic Geranium. This product is certified free of parabens, phthalates, GMOs, sodium lauryl sulfates, petrolatum, mineral oil, artificial colors and fragrances, and is properly pH balanced for your safety. TruSkin Naturals Vitamin C Serum is 98% natural, 72% organic, 100% vegetarian and 100% cruelty-free.