Regular Contributor

My solution for the NuFace Gel application

Don't remember which thread I was reading where there was a discussion about the mess factor involved with using the NuFace gel. I felt the same way about smearing that gel on my face and that it made me not want to do it as often as I should.

I use the Aloe Vera Gel in a bottle from Walmart and squeeze some out into a small wide mouth jar that I cleaned out from another cream. A big part of what I hated was that each time you smeared a section of your face, it was also on your fingers and then you had to clean your hands off after each application. I found a small make up spatula that came with a Clientele cream and has a fairly wide paddle on the end. I can dip the spatula into the jar and spread it on a section of my face without touching it with my fingers. Still don't love the gel on my face, but it solved part of the problem and I have been doing it more often. Just thought I'd share in case it helps anyone out.

Trusted Contributor

Re: My solution for the NuFace Gel application

Too bad companies can't come up with a conductive medium that isn't so unpleasant to use. Thank you for the tip.

Regular Contributor

I put the gel on my face and then use the nu face to smooth it out. No mess that way. And try not to get it too close to your hairline. (or it might dry and be flaky if not all removed)

Valued Contributor

I got the Mario Badescu rose spray that someone recommended...it works, too! It was $7 at Ulta. Just sprays on the face, smells like roses.

Super Contributor

Can oils be used as a conductor? I hate that gel too.

Regular Contributor

some people use the spray(from nu face) instead of the gel. I do it when im in a hurry!

Super Contributor

On 1/26/2014 scottygal said:

Can oils be used as a conductor? I hate that gel too.

I remember reading that oils aren't recommended because they can interfere with conductivity and accumulate under and around the silver tips (can't think of the correct name for them!) Oils also will eventually turn rancid if not properly cleaned from the unit.

Super Contributor

The issue I have with all of the conductive serums that come with the units (I have the FaceMaster and the SSC EGG) is that they all contain either Propylene Gylcol, Butylene Glycol or both. Glycols are the ingredients that causes the slip and allows the unit to glide.These 2 glycols play havoc with my skin, causing breakouts and irritation.

I was able to find a suitable replacement with a glycol that isn't a petro chemical and ordered it from Ingredients to die for.com. It comes in various sizes and works like a charm to achieve proper conductivity and I haven't had any issues with irritation or breakouts.I mix equal parts (you can play around with it) with Lilly of the Desert Aloe Gel (in the tube).

Here's the info:

NatureSilk is a 100% natural. An ultra pure moisturizer and emollient that is sustainable, and renewable.. You can feel good about using NatureSilk, as high as 70% with no irritation, in all of your bath and body products. NatureSilk is EcoCert, and NPA, approved, and contains No Petros, and NO Preservatives.

NatureSilk is not Propylene Glycol, which is a petro chemical. NatureSilk is the plant based alternative to Propylene Glycol.
NatureSilk is 1 ,3-propanediol. Propylene Glycol is 1,2-propanediol.

NatureSilk offers the formulator a natural alternative to get the silkiness, and solvent, properties of the petro derived glycols i.e... propylene glycol, butylene glycol ... but through a vegetable source that is also great for the skin. Now you can formulate petro free moisturizer without sacrificing the benefits. NatureSilk also offers improved moisture binding activity to hydrate the skin and slow water loss while it imparts a silky, feel to your emulsions.

One of the first criteria for any good moisturizer is to boost the skins hydration and improvement of the moisture barrier to slow water loss in the skin. It's the break down of the skins natural moisture barrier that is at the heart of all unhealthy skin as well as aging skin. When you add NatureSilk to your emulsions and other moisturizers you'll be adding true moisturizing benefits to the skin. Moisturizing the skin is not as easy as just adding oils and butters. These function as emollients, not moisturizers, so they lock in moisture but they don't deliver hydration to the skin. NatureSilk is the perfect natural solution to this challenge of creating an effective moisturizer.

NatureSilk is also the perfect solution to solubilizing those extracts, and actives, that are difficult to incorporate due to their insolvency. It is not quite as powerful as its petro counterpart but it does come pretty close and is worth the sacrifice when you need a natural alternative.

ATTRIBUTES

• Natural Alternative to the Petro Chemicals
  • Solubilizer for Difficult to Incorporate Actives and EO/FO
  • Dramatic Improvement in the Glide of Emulsions
  • Superior Moisturizing Benefits to the Skin and Hair

GUIDELINES

• Add to Water Phase
  • 2.0 to 70.0%
Super Contributor

I was one of the whiners about the gel -- I HATE it!

Thanks to BellaCarro's suggestion, I watered down some aloe gel and put it in a spritz bottle. MUCH better, but I still have to (grumpily) remove the gel afterward.

nunu4, I read the Mario B recommendation, too -- just hadn't gotten around to getting it yet. Thanks for the Ulta tip -- great price!

My only concern is, do we need a gel to actually conduct the charges? I'd love to just be able to spritz on water, but not sure that would work. Anybody know?

I'll email NuFace (I also have a question/gripe about waiting 24 hours between treatments) and I'll report back when I receive a response.

Occasional Contributor

I've been using water in place of the gel for months now, and I see the exact same results.