Trusted Contributor

My review of Mally's TSV (from a foundation hater)

[ Edited ]

Hello, Beauty Board ladies!  Let me start off my post by telling you a little about myself.  I'm 39 with medium brown hair and brown eyes.  Fair-skinned, no wrinkles, my skin is in good shape and is slightly oily. I hate foundation.  My usual "foundation" is Paula's Choice Resist Super-Light Daily Wrinkle Defense SPF 30.  I love it and have repurchased numerous times.  It's the only product that has mattified my skin.  

Although I'm a lover of many of Mally's products, I've never purchased a TSV before.  I decided to purchase her latest TSV because 1) I've had a makeup itch lately that needed to be scratched  2) the TSV foundation and blush looked very interesting to me and I was curious and 3) the kit looked nice to me overall

It arrived today and has only been on my face for a few hours, so I can only give a preliminary review really.  But I was so excited to type this I just couldn't wait.  Smiley Happy

Foundation:  I think the foundation is so interesting.  What's underneath the netting?  Is it a cream?  I only pressed very lightly on mine.  I like that it comes with a little sponge for touch ups.  I liked the foundation brush.  It's not like IT Cosmetics brushes, but it's nice.  No bristles fell out of mine and it was soft enough.  

As I said, I hate foundation.  I put the foundation on very lightly and I didn't hate it.  It made my skin look very smooth and very polished and I could definitely see a difference compared to usual.  It looked very nice.  

My color match was good (I chose Fair obviously for my fair skin).  I didn't feel it was too yellow for me (my undertones are neutral), which I know is an issue for some.  While I think the foundation is a bit yellow-based, I didn't feel it was too much for me, especially because I applied it very lightly.

One reason I like my Paula's Choice product is because it mattifies my skin.  This Mally foundation does not mattify.  I will either use a blotting paper or play around with primers and setting products.  My skin looks a little dewy, not shiny though and not like the models on TV.  I think this foundation would be better in winter than in summer.

Blush:  The blush is neat!  Does anyone remember that Smashbox blush from years ago called Transparencies?  It was like a mousse type blush.  Mally's blush reminded me a little of that, but with a harder mousse.  I really liked the color on me and was surprised at how much color went on from just a little press with my brush.  I didn't need to build the color at all.  It's a nice pink blush.  I like the stippling brush that came with it and my blush went on very nicely. 

Shadow Stick:  If anyone recognizes my username you will know that I'm a little obsessed with shadow sticks, particulary taupe shadow sticks.  I am currently sitting here with a bunch of swatches on the back of my hand, which has been common lately while I've been hunting.  So this is my first experience with Mally's new shadow sticks.  I can't review the longevity yet because I need a good 12 hour test run for that.  But after a few hours, so far so good.

The color is pretty.  It's a nice light neutral that is good for everyday.  It is nothing like Taupe or Twilight, which are my two faves.  I feel her new shadow sticks have a more metallic sheen to them compared to her old shadow sticks.  This Sand Drift shadow stick has a bit of gold in it.  I felt it looked cooler and more like taupe on some of the models (including Mally herself), but it's not like that in real life.  The older model (I think her name is Luanne) was more true to color.  But, as I said, it's a nice everyday color.

Eye Liner:  I don't like black eye liner on me, only on my upper inner rim and I like it super black.  I usually use Onyx.  The graphite from the TSV is more of a Soft Black than an Onyx shade.  But it's OK, it still looks nice and I'm pleased with it.

Mascara:  I'm very picky with my mascaras and I have a system.  Big lash curler, little lash curler for the outer edge, lash primer, Avon Supershock mascara and if I want more oomph I apply a second coat of whatever I have that I like (Benefit, Tarte, etc.).  I was going to apply Mally's mascara by itself, but then I thought I should stick with my system and use Mally's as my second coat.  It's OK.  I don't love it, but I don't hate it either.  I know some posters here really love Mally's mascara, so hopefully they'll love this one too.

The makeup bag is a makeup bag.  It's nice enough, but we all have so many of them.  I wish there was a lip product in place of a makeup bag.  When I finished my face I looked really nice and put together except for my naked lips.  I have lip products, of course, it just would have been nice if Mally had included a lip product instead of a makeup bag.

I guess that's it.  If I have more to say after I've worn everything for a longer period, I will edit my post underneath the body.  If you read my book kudos to you!  You get a lollipop!  What flavor would you like?

*QVC Community member since 10/24/2006*
Regular Contributor

Re: My review of Mally's TSV (from a foundation hater)

Thanks for sharing and I am happy to hear it was a good purchase for you. Now I kind of regret not getting it lol

Frequent Contributor

Stargazer77, I loved your review! I, too, tried my Mally TSV today for the first time & was pleasantly surprised - in love, even! I was concerned (expressed here on this forum) that the foundation would be too "wet" for me, as I prefer powder foundation. It is awesome, and I agree will be great for winter. I used it lightly and it went on like a dream and the color match - medium - was spot on. Loved the blush, too. I gave up on Mally's mascara, but this new one is actually "pretty perfect"! Great brush, no smudging & lasted all day. I still haven't removed it & it looks flawless at 13 + hours. This kit is a home run for me and I'm glad I got auto-delivery!
Valued Contributor

I love my kit as well, I have been wearing it for a few days now and have been really happy with it. I too miss the lip product, the only thing missing.

Contributor

Great detailed review!!!!

Now, I'm mad I passed on it.  I debated all day about it but since I have kits in BE, Laura Geller, IT, and more, I figured I had enough variety without adding possible extra confusion!

Glad its working for you and everyone else.

Love your description of your mascara routine!