Respected Contributor

Re: My retinol product is not working as well as it once did

Thanks for all the great information. You ladies obviously know a lot and I appreciate you sharing it with us.

Super Contributor

On 6/25/2014 Writer with Flair said:

I am in my early sixties with very few wrinkles and firm facial skin.

Sounds like retinol is doing well for you then. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup} I think the way you described your skin reflects the results you are getting.

If you still feel you aren't seeing anything anymore with your current retinol product (but as L2L said, it could just be that you're seeing natural aging in your skin) you could go with a product that has a little higher % to see how that works for you.

Honored Contributor

Thanks for the info--so as a newbie, what strength should I try for the first time? And how often? What should I expect as far as side effects ? I guess I can google this but I like to hear others experiences.

thanks again !!

Honored Contributor

On 6/25/2014 wagirl said:

Thanks for the info--so as a newbie, what strength should I try for the first time? And how often? What should I expect as far as side effects ? I guess I can google this but I like to hear others experiences.

thanks again !!

For which one, Retinol or Retin-A?

Regular Contributor

I know I need to check with my deem but does anyone know if someone with rosacea can use retina a or anything similar? I have rosacea and although I am not seeing a derm for it yet, i may in the future. I'm curious if anyone else that has rosacea uses it. Thanks!
Honored Contributor

I have a mild case of rosacea. I used RetinA for several years. It did bother my rosacea, and also I always had flakiness. I finally gave up and quit using it. Now I'm using gentler products, and my rosacea has calmed down.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

I've made several attempts w/Retin A and I have rosacea. I don't do well on RA, but I seem to be doing better w/gentler retinol. I was using the lowest rx available-.025% in a cream.

Frequent Contributor

On 6/25/2014 wagirl said:

thanks again !!

It is always best to start with a low dose retinol like .15% or less, especially if you are like me and have super sensitive skin.

Side effects can be peeling, flaking, and some sensitivity for the short term. If you experience any of these, all you need to do is buffer the retinol by mixing it in with your nightly moisturizer or cut back to only using the retinol 3 days a week. Going slowly is the key to success with both retinol or Retin A.

If you are considering Retin A, I believe the best course of action is to get a prescription and advice from a dermatologist and see what course of action they suggest with the product.

I started using retinol about 7 or 8 years ago and I used .15% for a year, then bumped it up to .3% for another year, then .5% for the 3rd year. I could never get past buffering the .5% retinol. I still believe it was very effective even buffered, but I chose to go back to .3% just so I wouldn't have to buffer it.

I have very sensitive skin. I never had the peeling, flaking from the lower dose retinol, but I think that is because I always buffered mine by applying my serum first, then the retinol and I did it that way for the first 6 months each time I would introduce a new strength retinol.

Frequent Contributor

On 6/25/2014 Dharma_Initiative said:
On 6/24/2014 Love2Laugh said:<br /> <br /> I was actually thinking of switching back to the Replenix when I found out how low of a dose Paula's Resist retinol is - .1%

Exactly why I am looking to change! I really like the RESIST retinol serum but I feel I should be using a higher % for my age, and since I've been using retinol for a few years now. I'm going to boost up to .3% Replenix. Maybe in the future Paula will come out with one that is at a strength somewhere between her current 2 retinol products.

Thanks for your input on Replenix.

Oh, you are so welcome.

Honestly, I was kind of disappointed her Resist retinol was so low. I had asked and asked for them to disclose how much retinol was in the Resist BEFORE she came out with this new 1% retinol, and I was always told by a member of Paula's staff it was proprietary and not important to know as retinol is only one of many important cell communicating ingredients so to single it out isn't the best way to give your skin what it needs.

I hope Paula does come out with retinol products in the middle ranges for those of us who can't tolerate the high 1% level. I have been using her products since around 2007, so I trust she would make a decent product along with a decent price. I just don't want to have the two extremes in retinol strength as the only options.

Super Contributor

{#emotions_dlg.biggrin} Hey Girlfriend L2L----Just chiming here to say that I have been using PTR's Retinol pm fusion and the night cream since it came out as a TSV and I have not had any problems with it and absolutely love the results I have gotten the last week or so. I had a bit of a problem with nose to mouth lines and the other marionette lines and OMGOODNESS---this stuff has really been working for me. I used the Green Cream for years, then stopped for the last 5 years and when I bought the TSV and have been using that ---it really works!! I know everyone has their favorite retinol product and if it works for you gals that it ok. Just wanted to participate in this conversation and let you know how much I am loving the PTR TSV set. {#emotions_dlg.wub} you L2L and I will be in touch! OH MY GOSH, YES DHARMA also GIRLFRIEND!!

xo