Honored Contributor

Re: My retinol product is not working as well as it once did

On 6/25/2014 JeanLouiseFinch said:
On 6/25/2014 wagirl said:

Thanks for the info--so as a newbie, what strength should I try for the first time? And how often? What should I expect as far as side effects ? I guess I can google this but I like to hear others experiences.

thanks again !!

For which one, Retinol or Retin-A?

---nothing heavy duty and I know I'm allergic to Retin-A. Don't need a huge overhaul just a daily shot maybe.

Valued Contributor

I have a problem with being consistent with my retinol product. That and the fact that I think the Alpha Hydrox that I have been using for a few years now is not working anymore for me, either. However, I need to make an appt with my derm and I'm going in there with loads of questions. Not like I don't always have a few, but I need to pay more attention! And maybe use the exactly brand that she suggests. I know she's always recommended a brand called Avene, and I've never purchased!

Esteemed Contributor

I think it would take way too long to explain, but I just don't believe that retinol ceases to work. Side effects lessen, just like side effects lessen when you begin an exercise program.

Your skin cells turn over every day, (at what rate, who knows, because there are so many variables) and whatever you are using will still assist the top layers.

I just don't know what everyone is looking for when they up the strength. I am very happy with using a low percentage, and buffering even that! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I asked my dermatologist about this, and she said that retinol doesn't stop working.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Super Contributor

Maybe what's happening when you feel like it's not working anymore is that you're just getting older! {#emotions_dlg.bored}

The effects of aging show more and more as the years go by. Retinol is not going to completely stop the aging process, so as you get older, you are bound to start seeing signs of aging, even if you're using it. Retinol just slows down the signs of aging on your skin, so that by using it you'll look better than you would have without using it.

Is it not true then that by upping the strength as we age and the signs of aging increase, we may also increase the degree to which retinol is working for us?

Esteemed Contributor

On 6/27/2014 Dharma_Initiative said:

Maybe what's happening when you feel like it's not working anymore is that you're just getting older! {#emotions_dlg.bored}

The effects of aging show more and more as the years go by. Retinol is not going to completely stop the aging process, so as you get older, you are bound to start seeing signs of aging, even if you're using it. Retinol just slows down the signs of aging on your skin, so that by using it you'll look better than you would have without using it.

Is it not true then that by upping the strength as we age and the signs of aging increase, we may also increase the degree to which retinol is working for us?

There are other factors in the aging process, which reflects on the skin, beyond whatever topicals you either use or do not use.

It seems like the reasoning in the "Is it true" question is reasonable, and I don't know. I should think those other factors play a bigger role in what your skin is eventually going to look like.

I still think of retinol as only a nudge, (in the cell turnover process) because I still want my own body/skin mechanism to rise to meet the demands as I grow older. That's the fountain of youth - having my own body be able to perform as it did when I was younger.

Just have to put vitamin A/retinol/topicals in the scheme of things. Vitamin A is just one nutrient out there.

Super Contributor

Well said, Harpa. A good reminder. I forget about those things you mentioned.