Honored Contributor

@wagirl 

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!  HAVE A GREAT DAY!

I can relate to the cowlicks.  One really strange one at my crown that's sort of like a whirlpool, and a couple at my hairline.  Coupled with my fine wavy hair with the waves going in every which/way direction ... short shaggy is about the only way to go.  

Years ago, a friend told me that cowlicks are a indication of intelligence.  Smiley Wink   Google "cowlicks intelligence."

------------------------------

@wagirl wrote:

@ALRATIBA---Wow--you sound like we could be hair twins !!!!Woman Happy My hair is grey and dark blond or light brown--have had a horrible time with haircuts-- all of them bad the last 2 years, have gone thru 7 hair dressers----sheesh---now my hair is horribly short and with cowlicks at the top, that  short hair does not want to cover. Had chemo and when my hair grew back it was a whole different beast----different color, different texture and now with taking meds, is thin and fine---a freaking nightmare!!! Been thinking that going bald and buying a couple cute wigs is the answer for me. But not coloring anymore for the cost is stupid high just to put in a few highlights-----nope, not gonna do it. Wish I was brave enough to just snip, snip, like you do !!! And btw---today is my 65th b-day !!!!

Trusted Contributor

@wagirl, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!! Purchase a texturizer hair product and spike the rest of your hair. ENJOY. JUST BE YOU.

Honored Contributor

Re: My "going-gray" plan

[ Edited ]

@Mz iMac wrote:

At soon to be 69, I am just turning gray, well sort of.

I have gray strands are coming in like devil horns.  I have no gray roots.  I am known as the "She Devil" among family members & a few friends. Smiley LOL

My gray must be fragil because it breaks off before growing down.  The gray horns have been about an inch long now for about a year.  The rest of my hair is still growing.  Really strange. confused.gif

@Mz iMac   That does sound odd, but I do know grey hair is drier. It sometimes is a different, more fragile texture and may be breaking off because it requires deep conditioning. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: My "going-gray" plan

[ Edited ]

Happy Birthday, Ladies. I will say the freedom of not thinking about when to make color appointments or do it yourself to co-ordinate w/ events in life is so freeing! If I miss an appt. because we decided to go away and leave Thursday instead of Friday, my first thought was “roots”!! 

Change is is always a shocker to some...me, included. After 2 yrs., I still walk past a mirror and expect to see brunette Shanus. 

Changing up hair care, purple shampoo to add shine & brighten, wearing a hat in the sun or other measures to prevent yellowing and learning to accept your natural self help immensely. Makeup shades may need to be somewhat tweaked as your hair color changes. 

So many women are transitioning to grey now, it’s easier than ever before. There seems to be more support in books, media, and friends. There are people in general who are going through it, been through it and are willing to answer questions. We no longer look like we just stopped “caring  for our looks” or my favorite “letting ourselves go”. 

Wishing all of you good luck in your journey to hair freedom. 

Honored Contributor

On the Wake Up Beautiful show this morning, the tweezer vendor is a great example of a women w/ shiny grey hair, modern cut and updated makeup to bring up her skintone.

Honored Contributor

Re: My "going-gray" plan (updated)

Update ...

It's now 20 days into my color change.  I've been using "purple" shampoo and conditioner every day to tone down the blonde.   The color difference between my color treated and new growth isn't all that noticeable now.  I have quite a lot of white and gray in my "used to be" brown hair so the blend between old and new growth is pretty good.  (There is one wide  white streak near my left temple that looks really jazzy.)

I've been "snipping" some of the fuzzy ends of my short shaggy style.   I don't want to go get a haircut until I'm through this change.

I had been thinking that it would take to September to get rid of the blonde hair ... but it looks more like late July or early August.  Right now, I'm about 1/3 new growth and 2/3 old growth.

-------------------------------------

@ALRATIBA wrote:

I have a birthday coming up ... and decided that this is the time to stop dying my hair.

I lighten my hair - so I have light blonde hair with salt/pepper rootes ... opposite of the usual darker dyed hair vs. gray roots.

I keep my hair short ... I couldn't get to the hairdresser - so I cut it myself.  Turned out shaggy - which is exactly what I want.  Actually, I like what I did better than the hairdresser's cuts.  I put some texturizer in it and it looks sort of spikey / piecey.

I think I can "naturally" work into gray hair by carefully placed trims.  If I trim the blonde a bit every week and the darker roots get longer and longer it might not look too bad.  The front of my hairline is already all white.  Down the part you can see scattered gray and brown strands mixed in the white hair.

Anyway ... that's the current plan.  Subject to change at a moment's notice.  I did my second trim yesterday.  So far, so good.  The worse that could happen is that I really mess up the cut and have to have it filed by a professional .... or I hate the color and redye.

ETA:  I'm not concerned about looing "20 years older."  Most of my friends are in their 80s and 90s ... I'll still look like the "kid."